- Volume 7 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Converging Influence of Empathy and Prejudice against Mental Illness on Discriminatory Behavior toward the Mentally Illness Patients in the Nursing Students
간호대학생의 공감능력과 정신질환에 대한 편견이 정신질환자에 대한 차별행동에 미치는 융합적 영향
- Moon, Weon-Hee (Department of Nursing Science, Pai Chai University) ;
- Kwon, Myoungjin (Department of Nursing Science, Daejeon University) ;
- Kim, Young-Hee (Department of Nursing Science, Daejeon Institution of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2016.09.30
- Accepted : 2016.12.20
- Published : 2016.12.31
This study is descriptive correlational research to analyze converging influence of empathy and prejudice on discriminatory behavior toward the mentally illness patients in the nursing students. Research objects are 175 students of department of nursing and who understand purpose of this study and agree with participate in this study. Collected Data were analyzed t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficient, Linear Regression by IBM SPSS 21.0 program. As a result empathy increased prejudice and discriminatory behavior on mentally illness patients was reduced. And prejudice against mentally illness patients was increased discriminatory behavior. In addition, factors that affect the discriminatory behavior of the mentally illness patients are gender, prejudice and empathy. In order to reduce prejudice and discriminatory behavior on mentally illness patients of nursing college students suggest that brief training program and the need for promoting empathy in the nursing curriculum.
Empathy;prejudice;discriminatory behavior;mentally illness;nursing student
Supported by : 배재대학교
- The Epidemiological Survey of Mental Disorders in Korea. Ministry of Health & Welfare. 2011.
- Mental Hospital Seclusion and Restraint Survey. National Human Rights Commission of The Republic of Korea. 2015.
- M. H. Kim, "Comparative Study on the Cognition and Attitudes toward the Mentally Ill Person Among EMT College Student Before and After Psychiatric Nursing Course Work", The Korean Journal of Emergency Medical Services, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 5-14, 2002.
- J. H. Lee & M. K. Seo. "Experience of social discrimination and perceptions of discrimination among the mentally ill", Social Science Research, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 135-156, 2008.
- S. H. Kang, Debates to increase human rights of the people with psychiatric disability (11-1620000-000397-01). Seoul: National Human Rights Commission of Korea, 2012.
- J. H. Kim & M. K. Suh, "Comparing Prejudice and Discrimination According to Types of Mental Disorder", Mental Health & Social Work, Vol. 37, pp. 35-64, 2011.
- K. W. Park & M. K. Seo, "A Study of Prejudice and Discrimination against Person with Mental Illness of College Students - Comparison with the Type of AIDS, Prisoner Cases", Social Science Research, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 383-402, 2012.
- M. H. Lee & M. K. Seo, "The Effects of Contact-educational Program Presented by People with Mental Illness on Anti-stigma", Mental Health & Social Work, Vol .43, No. 3, pp. 166-191, 2015.
- S. S. Choi, S. J. Yoon, M. J. Park, Y. J. Choi, "A study on the factors affecting the perceived stigma of the mentally disabled", Journal of Rehabilitation Research, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 91-115, 2008.
- C. N. Kim & M. K. Seo, "A Study on prejudice and discrimination against the mentally ill", Korean journal of health psychology, Vol. 9, No. 3, 589-607, 2004.
- K. H. Kim & K. H. Kim, "The Teachers' Attitudes, Discrimination and Causes of Prejudice Towards People with Mental Illnesses", Journal of Korean Academic Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing. Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 97-106, 2013. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2013.22.2.97
- M. Mariano, M. C. Pino, S. Peretti, M. Valenti, M. Mazza,"Understanding criminal behavior: Empathic impairment in criminal offenders", Society of Neuroscience, Vol. 9, pp. 1-7, 2016.
- C. Guozhen & W. Li, L. Shengnan, "A research on moral empathy, trend of helping behavior and their reactions among children aged 6 to 12 in China", Psychological Science, Vol. 27, pp. 781-785, 2004.
- J. L. Loudin, A. Loukas, S. Robinson. Relational aggression in college students: Examining the roles of social anxiety and empathy. Aggressive Behavior, Vol. 29, pp. 430-439. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/ab.10039
- H. N. Han & I. S. Oh, "The Relation between Bystanders' Behavioral Reactions to Bullying, Gratitude, Empathy, and a Sense of School Belonging", The Journal of Research in Education, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 53-75, 2014.
- H. S. Kim, "Psychopathy - Empathy, and Moral Responsibility", Pan-Korean Philosophy, Vol. 77, pp. 355-385, 2015.
- S. H. Park, Empathy and Prosocial Behavior. Seoul: Mooneumsa, 1997.
- N. Davis, "A multidimensional approach to individual difference in empathy", JSAS Catalog of Selected Document in Psychology, Vol. 10, No. 85. pp. 151-170, 1980.
- B. Bryant, "An index of empathy for children and adolescents", Child Development, Vol. 53, pp. 413-425, 1982 https://doi.org/10.2307/1128984
- B. S. Jeon, "Relationship between Empathy and Altruistic Behavior", Ph.D dissertation, Chungnam National University, 2003.
- J. E. Bae, "The effects of role-playing on empathy abilituy and prosocial behaviors", Master's dissertation, Seoul National University, 2008.
- J. N. Kim, "Development of the Social Stigma Scale of Mental Illness Patients", Korean journal of health psychology, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 595-617, 2003.
- M. O. Kang, "The Effects of Facilitative Communication Skill training using Role play on Prejudice and Intention of Interaction with the Mentally-disabled among Nursing Students", Journal of Korean Association for Psychodrama and Sociodrama, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 23-39, 2009. https://doi.org/10.17962/kjp.2009.12.2.003
- J. Schnittker, "Gender and Reaction to Psychological Problem: An Examination of Social Tolerance and Perceived Dangerousness", Journal of Health and Social Behavior, Vol. 44, pp. 224-240, 2000.
- S. R. Kim, H. Y. Kim, J. H. Kang, "Effects of Type D Personality on Compassion Fatigue, Burnout, Compassion Satisfaction, and Job Stress in Clinical Nurses", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 273-281, 2014.
- K. H. Kim & S. P. Yook, "The effects of ageism for the elderly experiences on suicide behavior: Mediating effects of ego-resilience", The Korean Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 131-151, 2013.
- N. Pop-Jordanova & E. Stoimenova-Canevska, "Emotional intelligence and big-five personality factors in female student sample", Makedon Akad Nauk Umet Odd Med Nauki, Vol. 35, No. 2, pp. 59-66, 2014.
- B. C. Ko, "Public Servant Education for the Prevention of Religious Prejudice and Discrimination in Korea", Korean journal of religious education, Vol. 31, pp. 191-213, 2009.
- M. G. Song, "The Effects of Religion on Pro-Environmental Behavioral Intention", Journal of Environmental Policy and Administration, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 27-56, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15301/jepa.2016.24.1.27
- R. J. R. Blair, "Responding to the emotions of others: Dissociating forms of empathy through the study of typical and psychiatric populations", Consciousness and Cognition, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 698-718, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.concog.2005.06.004
- A. Smith, "Cognitive empathy and emotional empathy in human behavior and evolution", Psychological Record, Vol. 56, No. 1, pp. 3-21, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03395534
- S. D. Preston & F. B. M. de Waal, "Empathy: Its ultimate and proximate bases", Behavioral and Brain Sciences, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 1-72, 2002.
- C. N. Kim, "Development of the Social Stigma Scale of Mental Illness Patients", The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 595-617, 2003.
- A. C. Watson, "Mental illness stigma : Ideology, causal attribution, perceptions of dangerousness, and behavior response", PhD. dissertation, The University of Chicago. 2001.
- B. S. Lee, Y. H. Kang, Y. S. Nam, "The Effects of Reading Education Program on the Student's Empathic Ability and Peer Receptive Attitude to Children with Disabilities", The Journal of Special Education : Theory and Practice, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 195-214, 2010.