- Volume 7 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Convergence Factors Influencing Clinical Practice Satisfaction of Nursing Students
간호학생의 임상실습만족도에 미치는 융복합적 영향요인
- Jung, Young-Mi (Department of Nursing, Daegu Haany University)
- 정영미 (대구한의대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2016.10.13
- Accepted : 2016.12.20
- Published : 2016.12.31
The aim of this study was to identify the convergence factors contributing to clinical practice satisfaction in Korean nursing students. Data were collected using self-administered questionnaires from April 1 to May 15, 2015. The participants were 83 nursing students, and a mid-sized private university school of nursing in the Korea was selected. The data were analyzed by descriptive statistics, T-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficient, and stepwise multiple regression with SPSS 22.0 program. Satisfaction in major significantly differed by age. Clinical practice satisfaction was positively correlated with satisfaction in major and clinical competence. The factors that significantly influenced clinical practice satisfaction were clinical competence and satisfaction in major, which together explained 26% of the total variance. To improve satisfaction in major and clinical competence among Korean nursing students, it will be necessary to provide nursing students with clinical adaptation programs and preceptor education.
Convergence;Satisfaction;Competence;Clinical practice;Nursing students
- OECD, "Health at a Glance 2015: OECD Indicators", OECD Publishing, Paris, http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/health_glance-2015-en https://doi.org/10.1787/health_glance-2015-en
- S. Price, "Future directions for career choice research in nursing: A discussion paper", International Journal of Nursing Studies, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 268-276, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2008.07.011
- J. L. Hoke, "Promoting nursing as a career choice", Nursing Economics, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 94-100, 2006.
- M. Mooney, M. Glacken, F. O'Brien, "Choosing nursing as a career: A qualitative study", Nurse Education Today, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 385-392. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2007.07.006
- C. Budgen, L. Gamroth, "An overview of practice education models", Nurse Education, Today, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 273-283, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2007.05.005
- I. Papp, M. Markkanen, M. von Bonsdorff, "Clinical environment as a learning environment: Student nurses' perceptions concerning clinical learning experiences", Nurse Education Today, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 262-268, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0260-6917(02)00185-5
- A. Tiwari, D. Lam, K. Yuen, R. Chan, T. Fung, & S. Chan, "Student learning in clinical nursing education: Perceptions of the relationship between assessment and learning", Nurse Education Today, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 299-308, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2005.01.013
- C. Dickson, J. Walker, & S, Bourgeois, "Facilitating undergraduate nurses' clinical practicum: the lived experience of clinical facilitators", Nurse Education Today, Vol. 26, No. 5, pp. 416-422, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2005.11.012
- V. Espeland, O. Indrehus, "Evaluation of students' satisfaction with nursing education in Norway", Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 42, No. 3, pp. 226-236, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2003.02611.x
- J. Goudreau, J. Pepin, S. Dubois, L. Boyer, C. Larue, & A. Legault. "A second generation of the competency-based approach to nursing education", International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, Vol. 6, No. 1, 2009.
- L. L. Hsu, "Metacognitive Inventory for nursing students in Taiwan: instrument development and testing", Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 66, No. 11, pp. 2573-2581, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05427.x
- M. M. West, G. Bross, & M. Snyder, "Teaching complex trauma care in a curriculum challenges critical thinking and clinical judgment-how nurses can help", Journal of Trauma Nursing, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 131-135, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.JTN.0000292113.42529.2b
- E. Simpson, M. Courtney, "Critical thinking in nursing: literature review", International Journal of Nursing Practice, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 89-98, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1440-172x.2002.00340.x
- J. M. Kim, Y. S. Choi, "Effect of practice education using the simulator, critical thinking, problem solving ability and nursing process confidence of nursing students", Journal of digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 263-270, 2015.
- N. S. Ha, S. Y. Pak, M. J. Lee, "A literature Review (1996-2014) on Critical Thinking in Korean Nursing Education for the Era of Convergence", Journal of digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp. 341-349, 2015.
- S. Yu, J. H. Kang, "Correlation Between Critical Thinking Ability and Disposition of University Nursing Students for the Development of Convergence", Journal of digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 6, pp. 197-203, 2015.
- M. Y. Park, S. Y. Kim, "A Qualitative Study of Nursing Students' first Clinical Experience", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 23-35, 2000.
- K. A. Chung, J. H. Cho, "Differences between Major Satisfaction, University Life Adjustment, Self-Esteem and Career Identity according to the Time of Department Selection of Students in the Department of Occupational Therapy at One University", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 143-155, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.143
- D. Barron, E. West, & R. Reeves, "Tied to the job: Affective and relational components of nurse retention", Journal of Health Service Research and Policy, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 46-51, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1258/135581907780318419
- S. J. Han, "A study on attitude of elder in female students", Journal of Konyang University, Vol. 8, pp. 239-252, 2000.
- M. S. Jung, Y. S. Kwon, "The Effects of Convergence-Based Reeducation on Core Basic Nursing Skills on Nursing Students' Competence and Confidence", Journal of digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 295-302, 2015.
- M. K. Cho, "The Relationships among Happiness, Happiness promotion activities and Self-reflection in the Convergence Society", Journal of digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 7, pp. 303-313, 2015.
- E. H. Park, H. R. Park, H. S. Kim, "Approaches to Convergence Curriculum for Healthcare-Affiliated Students with Clinical Competence Assessment Program", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 76-86, 2015.
- H. S. Ha, "A study of department of satisfaction and school satisfaction of undergraduate students". Master's thesis, Seoul National University, 2000.
- J. A. Yee, "A study on the image of nurses and the professional self-concept perceived by nursing students", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 325-334, 2004.
- H. S. Lee, E. J. Kim, "The comparison of stress coping and satisfaction with clinical practice according to the grade of nursing college student", Journal of East-West Nursing Research, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 5-13, 2008.
- H. S. Park, J. Y. Han, "Self-leadership, critical thinking disposition, satisfaction of clinical practice and clinical practice competency of nursing students", Journal of the Korean Data Information Science Society, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 695-706, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2015.26.3.695
- M. Y. Jho, "Effects of core fundamental nursing skills education on self-efficacy, clinical competence and practice satisfaction in nursing students", Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 292-301, 2014. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2014.21.3.292
- D. J. Lee, "The relationships among satisfaction in major, gender identity, and gender stereotypes of male nursing students", Master's thesis. Yeonsei University, 2004.
- W. H. Lee, C. J. Kim, J. S. Yoo, H. K. Hur, K. S. Kim, & S. M. Lim, "Development of a clinical competency measurement tool for student", Yonsei Nursing, Vol. 13, pp. 17-29. 1990.
- M. S. Choi, "A study on the relationship between teaching effectiveness of clinical nursing education and clinical competency in nursing students", Master's thesis, Ehwa Womens University, 2005.
- S. E. Lee, "A study on satisfaction and experience of clinical practice & direction for clinical education : Focused on maternity nursing practice", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 333-348, 2001.
- S. H. Lee, S. Y. Kim, & J. A. Kim, "Nursing students image of nurse and satisfaction with clinical practice", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 10, pp. 219-231, 2004.
- S. H. Cho, S. Y. Jung, & S. Y. Jang, "Who enters nursing schools and why do they choose nursing? A comparison with female non-nursing students using longitudinal data", Nurse Education Today, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 180-185, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2009.07.009
- T. H. Kim, "Estimating the structure of the short and the long run variations in the domestic youth unemployment", The Korean Journal of Applied Statistics, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 201-210, 2008. https://doi.org/10.5351/KJAS.2008.21.2.201
- European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions, Youth and Work, http://www.eurofound.europa.eu/pubdocs/2006/100/en/1/ef06100en.pdf, 2007.
- Y. H. Kwon, O. G. Kwag, "Validation of a path model on clinical practice competency of the nursing students", Journal of Korean Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 13, pp. 4572-4581, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.10.4572
- J. S. Jung, "Relationship of self-directedness and practice satisfaction to clinical practice in nursing students: The mediation effect of clinical competence", Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 53-61, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.053
- L. Wilkes, L. Cowin, & M. Johnson, "The reasons students choose to undertake a nursing degree", Collegian, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 259-265, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colegn.2014.01.003
- Y. M. Kwon, E. H. Yoon, "A correlation study on nursing professional values, department satisfaction, sociality, self-esteem among nursing students", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 285-292, 2007.
- C. Y. Lee, B. White, & Y. M. Hong, "Comparison of the clinical practice satisfaction of nursing students in Korea and the USA", Nursing and Health Science, Vol. 11, pp. 10-16, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2018.2008.00413.x
- S. M. Melincavage, "Student nurses' experiences of anxiety in the clinical setting", Nurse Education Today, Vol. 31, No. 8, pp. 785-789, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2011.05.007
- W. Evans, B. Kelly, "Pre-registration diploma student nurse stress and coping measures", Nurse Education Today, Vol. 24, No. 6, pp. 473-482, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2004.05.004
- B. Perry, "Shine on: Achieving career satisfaction as a registered nurse", The Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 17-25, 2008. https://doi.org/10.3928/00220124-20080101-06
- E. Poster, E. D. Curl, & S. Sportsman, "Differentiated Essential Competencies for Graduates of Texas Nursing Programs", Journal of Nursing Regulation, Vol. 1, No. 4, pp. 45-49, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2155-8256(15)30313-6
- M. G. Landers, "The theory-practice gap in nursing: the role of the nurse teacher", Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 32, No. 6, pp. 1550-1556, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2000.01605.x
- H. Taylor, H. Reyes, "Self-efficacy and resilience in baccalaureate nursing students", International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 1-13, 2012.
- C. P. Lovecchio, M. J. K. DiMattion, S. Hudacek, "Predictors of undergraduate nursing student satisfaction with clinical learning environment: A secondary analysis", Nursing Education Perspectives, Vol. 36, No. 4, pp. 252-254, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5480/13-1266