- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Qualitative Research on Conflict Experiences of Clinical Dental Hygienists
임상 치과위생사의 갈등 경험에 관한 질적 연구
- Cho, Eun-Ju (Department of Dental Hygiene, Namseoul University, General Graduate School) ;
- Lim, Soon-Ryun (Department of Dental Hygiene, Namseoul University)
- Received : 2016.10.08
- Accepted : 2016.11.15
- Published : 2016.12.31
This study was aimed at exploring the meaning and essence of the conflict experiences of clinical dental hygienists. In-depth interviews with 13 dental hygienists working in a dental clinic were conducted. Giorgi's method was used for qualitative analysis of the data. Conflict experiences of clinical dental hygienists were categorized into four central meaning as task conflicts, interpersonal conflicts, organizational environment conflicts, and conflict management style. Participants felt more sensitive towards the attitudes of people than treatment itself. Further studies on the multifaceted approach to conflict experiences of dental hygienists should be made. Additional research is necessary to develop effective measures and program to prevent and reduce conflict and stress in the work environment of dental hygienists.
- Choi EY: A study on the job satisfection and organizational commitment of the dental hygienist. Unpublished mater's thesis, Yonsei University, Wonju, 2001.
- Baron RA: Positive effects of conflict: a cognitive perspective. Empl Responsib Rights J 4: 25-36, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01390436
- Antonioni D: Relationship between the big-five personality factors and conflict management styles. Int J Confl Manag 9: 336-355, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb022814
- Kim DS: A study of conflicts among members of general hospital organization. Unpublished mater's thesis, Dongeui University, Busan, 2004.
- Miles RH: Macro organizational behaviour. Goodyear, Santa Monica, p.120, 1980.
- Son GO, Kim JG, Kim DG: Study on interpersonal conflict in task activity of dental hygienist. J Korean Acad Oral Health 31: 94-95, 2007.
- Jeong SR, Jang JE: The correlation between conflict level within the organization and job satisfaction of the dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 15: 38-45, 2015. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.1.38
- Choi JH, Choi JS: Effect of mediating variable on the relationship between job stress and stress response among clinical dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 14: 114-122, 2014.
- Park HM: Analysis of the job satisfaction, work-family conflict and turnover intention of dental health care worker. J Health Serv Manag 7: 191-203, 2013.
- Lee JH: The multiple commitment and organizational effectiveness among clinical dental hygienists. Unpublished mater's thesis, Gachon University, Incheon, 2014.
- Jeong SH, Seo YG, Son UY, Choi YH, Song GB: Analysis of job satisfaction and related factors of dental auxiliaries. J Korean Acad of Oral Health 29: 281-292, 2005.
- Dowling M, Cooney A: Research approaches related to phenomenology: negotiating a complex landscape. Nurse Res 20: 21-27, 2012.
- Giorgi A: The theory, practice, and evaluation of the phenomenological method as a qualitative research procedure. J Phenomen Psychol 28: 235-260, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1163/156916297X00103
- Creswell JW: Qualitative inquiry and research design: choosing among five approaches. 2nd ed. Hakjisa, Seoul, pp.59-73, 2010.
- Shin KR: Critera for critique of qualitative nursing research. J Korean Acad Nurs 26: 497-506, 1996.
- Schultz DP: Psychology and industry today: an introduction and organizational psychology. 4th ed. MacMillian Company, New York, pp.445-454, 1982.
- Yoo JH, Noh HJ: The Relationship between the factors of job selection and movement-based on dental hygienists who graduated college in metropolitan area. J Acad Oral Health 33: 664-672, 2009.
- Pubic Policy institute for People for People: Retrieved August 7, 2010, from http://ppip.nodong.org/webbs/view.php?board=pds&id88&page=3&category1=1(2010, August 7).
- Kim KB, Kim HS, Lee KH: Clinical nurses' professional conflicts. J Korean Acad Nurs 31: 492-505, 2001. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2001.31.3.492
- Korean Nurses Association: Retrieved January 3, 2007, from http://webzine.koreanurse.co.kr/Webzine/pdf/kornur_20070103(2007, January 3).
- Choi HJ, Bang HJ, Chung EY, Seo YJ: Factors that affect the level of emotional labor in dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 14: 295-301, 2014. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.3.295
- Korean Dental Hygienists Association: Retrieved February 4, 2015, from http://dentalhygiene.tistory.com/39(2015, February 4).
- Ruble TL, Thomas KW: Support for a two-dimensional model of conflict behavior. Organ Behav Hum Perform 16: 143-155, 1976. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(76)90010-6
- Lee DW, Lee SH, Han M: An exploratory study on work conflict experience. Korean J Psychol 20: 205-233, 2014.