- Volume 27 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Equilibrium, Kinetic and Thermodynamic Parameter Studies on Adsorption of Acid Black 1 Using Coconut Shell-Based Granular Activated Carbon
야자각계 입상 활성탄의 Acid Black 1 염료 흡착에 대한 평형, 동역학 및 열역학 파라미터의 연구
- Lee, Dong-Chang (Division of Chemical Engineering, Kongju National University) ;
- Lee, Jong-Jib (Division of Chemical Engineering, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2016.09.01
- Accepted : 2016.10.03
- Published : 2016.12.10
In this study, the adsorption behavior from aqueous solution as well as kinetic and thermodynamic parameters of Acid Black 1 were investigated through batch reaction using coconut shell based granular steam activated carbon. The effects of various adsorption parameters such as pH, initial concentration, contact time, temperature were studied. To confirm the effect of pH, pHpzc measurements were analyzed followed by measuring removal efficiencies of Acid Black 1 at the pH range from 3 to 11. Experimental equilibrium adsorption data were fitted using Langmuir, Freundlich, Temkin and Dubinin-Radushkevich adsorption isotherm. The conformity of adsorption reaction for pseudo first and second order model were evaluated through kinetic analysis. Values of enthalpy change and activation energy were also investigated through thermodynamic analysis and it was confirmed that the adsorption process was endothermic. The spontaneity of adsorption process was evaluated using the values of entropy and Gibbs free energy changes.
- M. Koushaa, E. Daneshvara, H. Dopeikara, D. Taghavia, and A. Bhatnagarb, Box-Behnken design optimization of Acid Black 1 dye biosorption by different brown macroalgae, Chem. Eng. J., 179, 158-168 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2011.10.073
- A. Bhatnagar and A. K. Jain, A comparative adsorption study with different industrial wastes as adsorbents for the removal of cationic dyes from water, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 281, 49-55 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2004.08.076
- V. K. Garg, M. Amita, R. Kumar, and R. Gupta, Basic dye (methylene blue) removal from simulated wastewater by adsorption using Indian Rosewood sawdust: a timber industry waste, Dyes Pigm., 63, 243-250 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dyepig.2004.03.005
- E. Hoseinzadeh, A. R. Rahmanie, G. Asgari, G. Mckay, and R. Dehghanian, Adsorption of Acid Black 1 by using activated carbon prepared from scrap tires Kinetic and equilibrium studies, J. Sci. Ind. Res., 71, 682-689 (2012).
- K. Mahapatra, D. S. Ramteke, and L. J. Paliwal, Production of activated carbon from sludge of food processing industry under controlled pyrolysis and its application for methylene blue removal, J. Anal. Appl. Pyrolysis, 95, 1-8 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaap.2012.01.012
- D. Sun, X. Zhang, Y. Wu, and X. Liu, Adsorption of anionic dyes from aqueous solution on fly ash, J. Hazard. Mater., 181, 335-342 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2010.05.015
- M. Sankar, G. Sekaran, S. Sadulla and T. Ramasami, Removal of diazo and triphenylmethane dyes from aqueous solutions through an adsorption process, J. Chem. Technol. Biotechnol., 74, 337-344 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4660(199904)74:4<337::AID-JCTB39>3.0.CO;2-U
- J. J. Lee, Adsorption equilibrium, kinetics and thermodynamic parameters studies of Bismarck Brown R dye adsorption on granular activated carbon, Appl. Chem. Eng., 24 327-332 (2013).
- P. C. C. Faria, J. J. M. Orfao, and M. F. R. Pereira, Adsorption of anionic and cationic dyes on activated carbons with different surface chemistries, Water Res., 38, 2043-2052 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2004.01.034
- J. J. Lee, Equilibrium, kinetics and thermodynamic parameters studies of Acid Yellow 14 using activated carbon, Korean Chem. Eng. Res., 54(2), 255-261 (2016). https://doi.org/10.9713/kcer.2016.54.2.255
C. Saka, BET, TG-DTG, FT-IR, SEM, iodine number analysis and preparation of activated carbon from acorn shell by chemical activation with
$ZnCl_2$, J. Anal. Appl. Pyrolysis, 95, 21-24 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaap.2011.12.020
- Y. S. Al-Degs, M. I. El-Barghouthi, A. H. El-Sheikh, and G. M. Walker, Effect of solution pH, ionic strength, and temperature on adsorption behavior of reactive dyes on activated carbon, Dyes Pigm., 77, 16-23 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dyepig.2007.03.001
- Y. S. Li, C. S. Chiou, and Y. S. Shieh, Adsorption of Acid Black 1 wastewater by basic oxygen furnace slag, Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 64, 659-665 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1007/s001280000054
- J. J. Lee, Isotherms, kinetics and thermodynamic parameters studies of new fuchsin dye adsorption on granular activated carbon, Appl. Chem. Eng., 25, 632-638 (2014). https://doi.org/10.14478/ace.2014.1120
- T. W. Weber and R. K. Chakrabarti, Pore and solid diffusion kinetics in fixed bed adsorption under constant pattern conditions, Ind. Chem. Eng. Fund., 5, 212-223 (1996).
- I. A. W. Tan, A. L. Ahmad, and B. H. Hameed, Adsorption of basic dye on high-surface-area activated carbon prepared from coconut husk, J. Hazard. Mater., 154, 337-346 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2007.10.031
- P. Sivakumar and P. N. Palanisamy, Adsorption studies of basic red 29 by a non conventional activated carbon prepared from euphorbia antiquorum L, Int. J. Chem. Tech. Res., 1, 502-510 (2009).
- H. Nollet, M. Roels, P. Lutgen, P. Van der Meeren, and W. Verstraete, Removal of PCBs from wastewater using fly ash, Chemosphere., 53(6), 655-665 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(03)00517-4
- M. J. Jaycock and G. D. Parfitt, Chemistry of Interfaces, Ellis Horwood Ltd., Chichester, UK (1981).
- C. Ijabemi, M. Baek, and D. Kim, Monomorilonite surface properties and sorption characteristics for heavy metal removal from aqueous solutions, J. Hazard. Mater., 166, 538-546 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2008.11.085
- M. Dorgan, M. Alkan, O. Demirbas, Y. Ozdemir, and C. zmetin, Adsorption kinetics of maxilon blue GRL onto spiolite from aqueous solutions, Chem. Eng. J., 124, 89-101 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2006.08.016
- X. Peng, X. Hu, D. Fu, L. Frank, and Y. Lam, Adsorption removal of acid black 1 from aqueous solution using ordered mesoporous carbon, Appl. Surf. Sci., 294, 71-80 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2013.11.157
- A. Esmaeli, M. Jokar, M. Kousha, E. Daneshvar, H. Zilouei, and K. Karimi, Acidic dye wastewater treatment onto a marine macroalga, Nizamuddina zanardini (Phylum: Ochrophyta), Chem. Eng. J., 217, 329-336 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2012.11.038
- E. Daneshvar, M. Kousha, M. S. Sohrabi, A. Khataee, and A. Converti, Biosorption of three acid dyes by the brown macroalga Stoechospermum marginatum: Isotherm, kinetic and thermodynamic studies, Chem. Eng. J., 195, 297-306 (2012).
- M. Yazdani, H. Bahrami, and M. Arami, Preparation and characterization of chitosan/feldspar biohybrid as an adsorbent: optimization of adsorption process via response surface modeling chitosan/feldspar, Sci. World J., 2014, 1-13 (2014).