- Volume 22 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Buckling and dynamic characteristics of a laminated cylindrical panel under non-uniform thermal load
- Bhagat, Vinod S. (Department of Mechanical Engineering, National Institute of Technology Karnataka) ;
- Pitchaimani, Jeyaraj (Department of Mechanical Engineering, National Institute of Technology Karnataka) ;
- Murigendrappa, S.M. (Department of Mechanical Engineering, National Institute of Technology Karnataka)
- Received : 2016.07.15
- Accepted : 2016.11.25
- Published : 2016.12.30
Buckling and free vibration behavior of a laminated cylindrical panel exposed to non-uniform thermal load is addressed in the present study. The approach comprises of three portions, in the first portion, heat transfer analysis is carried out to compute the non-uniform temperature fields, whereas second portion consists of static analysis wherein stress fields due to thermal load is obtained, and the last portion consists of buckling and prestressed modal analyzes to capture the critical buckling temperature as well as first five natural frequencies and associated mode shapes. Finite element is used to perform the numerical investigation. The detailed parametric study is carried out to analyze the effect of nature of temperature variation across the panel, laminate sequence and structural boundary constraints on the buckling and free vibration behavior. The relation between the buckling temperature of the panel under uniform temperature field and non-uniform temperature field is established using magnification factor. Among four cases considered in this study for position of heat sources, highest magnification factor is observed at the forefront curved edge of the panel where heat source is placed. It is also observed that thermal buckling strength and buckling mode shapes are highly sensitive to nature of temperature field and the effect is significant for the above-mentioned temperature field. Furthermore, it is also observed that the panel with antisymmetric laminate has better buckling strength. Free vibration frequencies and the associated mode shapes are significantly influenced by the non-uniform temperature variations.
cylindrical panel;thermal buckling;non-uniform heating;finite element analysis;free vibration
- Ahmadi, S.A. and Pourshahsavari, H. (2016), "Three-dimensional thermal buckling analysis of functionally graded cylindrical panels using differential quadrature method (DQM)", J. Theor. Appl. Mech., 54(1), 135-147.
- Bhagat, V., Jeyaraj, P. and Murigendrappa, S.M. (2016a), "Buckling and free vibration characteristics of a uniformly heated isotropic cylindrical panel", Procedia Enginering, 144, 474-481. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2016.05.158
- Bhagat, V., Jeyaraj, P. and Murigendrappa, S.M. (2016b), "Buckling and vibration behavior of a nonuniformly heated isotropic cylindrical panel", Int. J. Struct. Eng. Mech., 57(3), 543-567. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2016.57.3.543
- Chang, J.S. and Chiu, W.C. (1991), "Thermal buckling analysis of antisymmetric laminated cylindrical shell panels", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 27(10), 1295-1309. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7683(91)90164-B
- Chen, L.W. and Chen, L.Y. (1987), "Thermal buckling of laminated cylindrical plates", Compos. Struct., 8(3), 189-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/0263-8223(87)90069-9
- Eslami, M.R. and Javaheri, R. (1991), "Buckling of composite cylindrical shells under mechanical and thermal loads", J. Therm. Stress., 22(6), 527-545.
- Ganapathi, M., Patel, B. and Pawargi, D. (2002), "Dynamic analysis of laminated cross-ply composite noncircular thick cylindrical shells using higher-order theory", J. Solids Struct., 39(24), 5945-5962. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7683(02)00495-X
- Ganesan, N. and Pradeep, V. (2005), "Buckling and vibration of circular cylindrical shells containing hot liquid", J. Sound Vib., 287(4-5), 845-863. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2004.12.001
- Gupta, S.D. and Wang, I.C. (1973), "Thermal buckling of orthotropic cylindrical shells", Fibre Sci. Technol., 6(1), 39-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/0015-0568(73)90015-8
- Jeon, K.H.W., Byung H. and Lee, Y.S. (2010), "Free vibration characteristics of thermally loaded cylindrical shell", Mater. Complex Behav., 3, 139-148.
- Jeyaraj, P. (2013), "Buckling and free vibration behavior of an isotropic plate under non-uniform thermal load", Int. J. Struct. Stabil. Dyn., 12(6), 1250071: 1-16.
- Jooybar, N., Malekzadeh, P., Fiouz, A. and Vaghefi, M. (2016), "Thermal effect on free vibration of functionally graded truncated conical shell panels", Thin-Wall. Struct., 103, 45-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2016.01.032
- Kabir, H.R.H. (1998), "Free vibration response of shear deformable antisymmetric cross-ply cylindrical panels", J. Sound Vib., 217(4), 601-618. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.1998.1722
- Katariya, P.V. and Panda, S.K. (2016), "Thermal buckling and vibration analysis of laminated composite curved shell panel", Aircraft Eng. Aerosp. Technol., 88(1), 97-107. https://doi.org/10.1108/AEAT-11-2013-0202
- Khdeir, A.A. (2012), "Thermoelastic response of cross-ply laminated shells based on a rigorous shell theory", J. Therm. Stress., 35(11), 1000-1017. https://doi.org/10.1080/01495739.2012.720219
- Ko, W.I. (2004), "Thermal buckling analysis of rectangular panels subjected to humped temperature profile heating", Struct. Mech., 57, 1-34.
- Kurpa, L., Shmatko, T. and Timchenko, G. (2010), "Free vibration analysis of laminated shallow shells with complex shape using the R-functions method", Compos. Struct., 93(1), 225-233. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2010.05.016
- Lei, Z.X., Yu, J.L. and Liew, K.M. (2013), "Free vibration analysis of functionally graded carbon nanotubereinforced composite cylindrical panels", Int. J. Mater. Sci. Eng., 1(1), 36-40.
- Lei, Z., Zhang, L., Liew, K. and Yu, J. (2014), "Dynamic stability analysis of carbon nanotube-reinforced functionally graded cylindrical panels using the element free kp-ritz method", Compos. Struct., 113, 328-338. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2014.03.035
- Matsunaga, H. (2007), "Thermal buckling of cross-ply laminated composite shallow shells according to a global higher-order deformation theory", Compos. Struct., 81(2), 210-221. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2006.08.008
- Mochida, Y., Ilanko, S., Duke, M. and Narita, Y. (2012), "Free vibration analysis of doubly curved shallow shells using the Superposition-Galerkin method", J. Sound Vib., 331(6), 1413-1425. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2011.10.031
- Patel, B.P., Nath, Y. and Shukla, K.K. (2004), "Thermal buckling of laminated cross-ply oval cylindrical shell", Compos. Struct., 65(2), 217-229. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2003.10.018
- Patel, B.P., Nath, Y. and Shukla, K.K. (2007), "Thermo-elastic buckling characteristics of angle-ply laminated elliptical cylindrical shells", Compos. Struct., 77(1), 120-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2005.06.001
- Pradyumna, S. and Bandyopadhyay, J.N. (2010), "Free vibration and buckling of functionally graded shell panels in thermal environments", Int. J. Struct. Stabil. Dyn., 10(5), 1031-1053. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219455410003889
- Rajanna, T., Banerjee, S., Desai, Y.M. and Prabhakara, D.L. (2016), "Vibration and buckling analyses of laminated panels with and without cutouts under compressive and tensile edge loads", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 21(1), 37-55. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.21.1.037
- Shahab, S., Mirzaeifar, R. and Bahai H. (2009), "Coupled modification of natural frequencies and buckling loads of composite cylindrical panels", Int. J. Mech. Sci., 51(9-10), 708-717. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2009.08.002
- Shen, H.-S. (2012), "Thermal buckling and postbuckling behavior of functionally graded carbon nanotubereinforced composite cylindrical shells", Compos. Part B: Eng., 43(3), 1030-1038. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2011.10.004
- Shen, H.S. and Li, Q.S. (2002), "Thermomechanical postbuckling of shear deformable laminated cylindrical shells with local geometric imperfections", Int. J. Solids Struct., 39(17), 4525-4542. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7683(02)00351-7
- Thangaratnam, R., Palaninathan, R. and Ramachandran, J. (1990), "Thermal buckling of laminated composite shells", Am. Inst. Aeronaut. Astronaut. J., 28(5), 859-860. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.25130
- Topal, U. (2012), "Frequency optimization for laminated composite plates using extended layerwise approach", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J.,12(6), 541-548. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2012.12.6.541
- Topal, U. (2013), "Application of a new extended layerwise approach to thermal buckling load optimization of laminated composite plates", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 14(3), 283-293. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2013.14.3.283
- Viswanathan, K.K., Lee, J.H., Aziz, Z.A. and Hossain, I. (2011), "Free vibration of symmetric angle-ply laminated cylindrical shells of variable thickness", Acta Mech., 221(3), 309-319. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00707-011-0505-z
- Yas, M., Pourasghar, A., Kamarian, S. and Heshmati, M. (2013), "Three-dimensional free vibration analysis of functionally graded nanocomposite cylindrical panels reinforced by carbon nanotube", Mater. Des., 49, 583-590. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2013.01.001
- Zhang, L., Lei, Z., Liew, K. and Yu, J. (2014), "Static and dynamic of carbon nanotube reinforced functionally graded cylindrical panels", Compos. Struct., 111, 205-212. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2013.12.035
- Zhao, X. and Liew, K.M. (2010), "A mesh-free method for analysis of the thermal and mechanical buckling of functionally graded cylindrical shell panels", Computat. Mech., 45(4), 297-310. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00466-009-0446-8
- Zhao, X., Ng, T.Y. and Liew, K. (2004), "Free vibration of two-side simply- supported laminated cylindrical panels via the mesh-free kp-ritz method", Int. J. Mech. Sci., 46(1), 123-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2004.02.010
- Thermal Buckling of Nanocomposite Stiffened Cylindrical Shells Reinforced by Functionally Graded Wavy Carbon Nanotubes with Temperature-Dependent Properties vol.7, pp.12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/app7121223
- Experimental investigation on buckling strength of cylindrical panel: Effect of non-uniform temperature field vol.99, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnonlinmec.2017.12.005
- Vibrational characteristics of truss core sandwich panel under thermal environment: effect of core topology pp.2195-2698, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40435-018-0488-x