- Volume 22 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Investigation of interface response of reinforced concrete columns retrofitted with composites
- Achillopoulou, Dimitra V. (Reinforced Concrete Laboratory, Civil Engineering Department, Democritus University of Thrace (D.U.Th.)) ;
- Kiziridou, Alexandra N. (Reinforced Concrete Laboratory, Civil Engineering Department, Democritus University of Thrace (D.U.Th.)) ;
- Papachatzakis, Georgios A. (Reinforced Concrete Laboratory, Civil Engineering Department, Democritus University of Thrace (D.U.Th.)) ;
- Karabinis, Athanasios I. (Reinforced Concrete Laboratory, Civil Engineering Department, Democritus University of Thrace (D.U.Th.))
- Received : 2016.04.22
- Accepted : 2016.11.24
- Published : 2016.12.30
The current study focuses on the assessment and interface response of reinforced concrete elements with composite materials (carbon fiber reinforced polymers-CFRPs, glass fiber reinforced polymers-GFRPs, textile reinforced mortars-TRM's, near surface mounted bars-NSMs). A description of the transfer mechanisms from concrete elements to the strengthening materials is conducted through analytical models based on failure modes: plate end interfacial debonding and intermediate flexural crack induced interfacial debonding. A database of 55 in total reinforced concrete columns (scale 1:1) is assembled containing elements rehabilitated with various techniques (29 wrapped with CFRP's, 5 wrapped with GFRP's, 4 containing NSM and 4 strengthened with TRM). The failure modes are discussed together with the performance level of each technique as well as the efficiency level in terms of ductility and bearing/ bending capacity. The analytical models' results are in acceptable agreement with the experimental data and can predict the failure modes. Despite the heterogeneity of the elements contained in the aforementioned database the results are of high interest and point out the need to incorporate the analytical expressions in design codes in order to predict the failure mechanisms and the limit states of bearing capacities of each technique.
concrete column;retrofit;fiber reinforced polymers;interface;force transfer mechanism
- Bizindavyi, B. and Neale, K. (1999), "Transfer lengths and bond strengths for composites bonded to concrete", J. Compos. Construct., 3(4), 153-160. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(1999)3:4(153)
- Bournas, D., Triantafillou, T., Zygouris, K. and Stavropoulos, F. (2009), "Textile-reinforced mortar versus FRP jacketing in seismic retrofitting of RC columns with continuous or lap-spliced deformed bars", J. Compos. Construct., 13(5), 360-371. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CC.1943-5614.0000028
- Chajes, M.J., Finch, W.W., Januszka, T.F. and Thomson, T.A. (1996), "Bond and force transfer of composites materials plates bonded to concrete", Struct. J., 93(2), 209-217.
- Chalioris, C.E. (2007), "Analytical model for the torsional behaviour of reinforced concrete beams retrofitted with FRP materials", Eng. Struct., 29(12), 3263-3276. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.09.009
- Chalioris, C. (2008), "Torsional strengthening of rectangular and flanged beams using carbon fibrereinforced-polymers - experimental study", Construct. Build. Mater., 22(1), 21-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2006.09.003
- Chen, J.F. and Teng, J.G. (2003), "Shear capacity of FRP-strengthened RC beams: FRP debonding", Construct. Build. Mater., 17(1), 27-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-0618(02)00091-0
- CNR (2004), Guide for the design and construction of externally bonded FRP systems for strengthening existing structures (materials, RC and PC structures, masonry structures), CNR-DT 200/2004, Italian National Research Council, Advisory Committee on Technical Recommendations for Constructions;Rome, Italy.
- Elwan, S.K. and Omar, M.A. (2014), "Experimental behavior of eccentrically loaded RC slender columns strengthened using GFRP wrapping", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 17(3), 271-285 https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2014.17.3.271
- EN 1998-3 (2005), Eurocode 8: Design of structures for earthquake resistance - Part 3: Assessment and retrofitting of Buildings, European Committee for Standardization; Brussels, Belgium.
- fib-Bulletin No. 56 (2010), Model Code 2010 - First complete draft, Volume 2, International Federation for Structural Concrete; Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Karabinis, A. (2002), "Reinforced concrete beam-column joints with lap splices under cyclic loading", Struct. Eng. Mech., Int. J., 14(6), 649-660. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2002.14.6.649
- Karayannis, C. and Sirkelis, G. (2008), "Strengthening and rehabilitation of RC beam-column joints using carbon-FRP jacketing and epoxy resin injection", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 37(5), 769-790. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.785
- Hadji, L., Daouadji, T.H., Meziane, M.A.A. and Bedia, E.A.A. (2016), "Analyze of the interfacial stress in reinforced concrete beams strengthened with externally bonded CFRP plate", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 20(2), 413-429. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.20.2.413
- Panda, K.C., Bhattacharyya, S.K. and Barai, S.V. (2012), "Shear behaviour of RC T-beams strengthened with U-wrapped GFRP sheet", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 12(2), 149-166 https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2012.12.2.149
- Realfonzo, R. and Napoli, A. (2009), "Cyclic behavior of RC columns strengthened by FRP and steel devices", J. Struct. Eng., 135(10), 1164-1176. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000048
- Realfonzo, R. and Napoli, A. (2012), "Results from cyclic tests on high aspect ratio RC columns strengthened with FRP systems", Construct. Build. Mater., 37, 606-620. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.07.065
- Rousakis, T., Karabinis, A.I. and Kiousis, P.D. (2007), "FRP-confined concrete members: axial compression experiments and plasticity modelling", Eng. Struct., 29(7), 1343-1353. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.08.006
- Sadone, R., Quiertant, M., Mercier, J. and Ferrier, E. (2012), "Experimental study on RC columns retrofitted by FRP and subjected to seismic loading", Proceedings of Conference on FRP Composites in Civil Engineering (CICE), Rome, Italy, June.
- Sarafraz, M. and Danesh, F. (2010), "Experimental study on flexural strengthening of RC columns with near surface mounted FRP bars", J. Seismol. Earthq. Eng., 12(1-2), 39-50.
- Smith, J. and Teng, J. (2001), "Interfacial stresses in plated beams", Engineering Structures, 23(7), 857-871. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(00)00090-0
- Su, L., Li, X. and Wang, Y. (2016), "Experimental study and modelling of CFRP-confined damaged and undamaged square RC columns under cyclic loading", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 21(2), 411-427. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.21.2.411
- Wang, J. (2006), "Cohesive zone model of intermediate crack-induced debonding of FRP-plated concrete beam", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 43(21), 6630-6648. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2006.01.013
- Wang, J. (2007), "Cohesive zone model of FRP-concrete interface debonding under mixed-mode loading", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 44(20), 6551-6568. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2007.02.042
- Wang, J. and Zhang, C. (2008), "Nonlinear fracture mechanics of flexural-shear crack induced debonding of FRP strengthened concrete beams", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 45(10), 2916-2936. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2008.01.004
- Wu, Y., Liu, T. and Wang, L. (2008), "Experimental investigation on seismic retrofitting of square RC columns by carbon FRP sheet confinement combined with transverse short glass FRP bars in bored holes", J. Compos. Construct., 12(1), 53-60. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(2008)12:1(53)
- Experimental Investigation on Interfacial Defect Criticality of FRP-Confined Concrete Columns vol.19, pp.3, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3390/s19030468