- Volume 22 Issue 1
Purpose: This study was conducted in order to explore the factors affecting the hope in nursing students. Methods: A total of 166 nursing students participated in the study. Data was analyzed using SPSS WIN 18.0. Results: The mean scores for social support, self-efficacy, and hope were above-average level. There were significant mean differences in hope according to religion, academic achievement, and satisfaction with nursing majors. Hope correlated positively with social support and self-efficacy. The significant predictors of hope included social support and satisfaction with the nursing major. The regression model explained 12.7% of hope. Conclusion: To improve hope in nursing students, nursing educators should focus on promoting their social support and satisfaction with the nursing major.
Social support;Self-efficacy;Hope;Nursing student
- Cho, H. (2010). The effects of hope on life stress, psychopathology and life satisfaction. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 29(3), 839-852. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2010.29.3.011
- Hagen, K. A., Myers, B. J., & Mackintosh, V. H. (2005). Hope, social support, and behavioral problems in at-risk children. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 75(2), 211-219. https://doi.org/10.1037/0002-9422.214.171.124
- Ham, K. A., Byeon, B. H., & Cheon, S. M. (2011). The relationship between gratitude and psychological well-being in adolescents: The moderating effect of stress coping strategy. Korean Journal of Counseling, 12(6), 2163-2176. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.12.6.201112.2163
- Hong, H. Y. (1995). The relationships of perfectionism, self-efficacy and depression. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Woman's University, Seoul.
- Hospital Nurses Association. (2011). 2010 Actual condition survey report of nurse staffing. Retrieved March 9, 2011, from http://www.khna.or.kr/web/information/resource.php
- Jang, H. J., & Lim, J. H. (2010). Hope in relation to social support in adolescents. Journal of The Korean Association of Practical Arts Education, 22(1), 67-78.
- Jang, H. J., Yang, S. O., & Lee, M. O. (2007). Professional self-concept and self-efficacy according to the need for advanced practice nurse among Korean nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 14(1), 110-119.
- Jo, G. Y., & Park, H. S. (2011). Predictors of subjective happiness for nursing students. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 12(1), 160-169. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.1.160
- Jun, W. H., Cha, K. S., & Lee, K. L. (2015). Factors affecting subjective well-being in nursing students. Journal of Korean Academic of Nursing Education, 21(2), 276-284. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.2.276
- Jung, H. J., & Chung, H. I. (2012). Effects of self-esteem, emotional intelligence and social support on college adjustment in first year nursing college students. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 21(3), 188-196. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2012.21.3.188
- Jung, Y. M. (2011). Factors influencing meaning in life among the middle-aged. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 23(3), 209-220.
- Kim, J., Ahn, S., & Han, S. (2009). The positive contribution of spirit. Korean Journal of Psychological and Social Issues, 15(1), 207-226.
- Kim, M. Y., & Lee, I. J. (2012). The effect of program environment and social support on the hope of people with mental illness. Mental Health and Social Work, 40(1), 263-291.
- Kim, Y. J. (2004). The effects of interpersonal caring behaviors on self-esteem, hope and life quality of inpatients with mental disorder. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Lee, G. W., Moon, I. O., & Park, S. K. (2013). The relationship between social support, college adjustment and academic adjustment among nursing students. The Journal of Korean Society for School Health Education, 14(2), 15-27.
- Lee, H. K., & Lee, D. G. (2007). A positive psychology perspective on understanding of Human beings and change. Journal of Human Studies, 13, 16-43.
- Mattioli, J. L., Repinski, R., & Chappy, S. L. (2008). The meaning of hope and social support in patients receiving chemotherapy. Oncology Nursing Forum, 35(5), 822-829. https://doi.org/10.1188/08.ONF.822-829
- Min, S.. Yu, G. W., & Kim, H. S. (2010). The effect of self leadership training program on hope and happiness of nursing students. Korean Association of Business Administration Autumn Annual Conference, 381-397.
- Moon, Y. S., & Han, S. J. (2011). Impact of self-efficacy and nursing professionalism on organizational commitment in nurses. Journal of Korean Academic of Nursing Education, 17(1), 72-79. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.1.072
- Nowotny, M. L. (1989). Assessment of hope in patients with cancer: Development of an instrument. Oncology Nursing Forum, 16(1), 57-61.
- Oh, E. J., Lee, S. Y., & Sung, K. M. (2013). Interpersonal relations, hope, professional self-concept and turnover intention according to adult attachment styles in early stage nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 19(4), 491-500. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.4.491
- Park, H. S., & Jeong, K. S. (2013). Influence of self-directed learning ability and creativity on college adjustment in nursing students. Journal of Korean Academic of Nursing Education, 19(4), 549-557. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.549
- Park, M. Y. (2004). The perceived causal structure model on stress experienced by nursing students during clinical practice. Journal of Korean Academic of Nursing Education, 10(1), 54-63.
- Seligman, M. P., Steen, T. A., Park, N., & Peterson, C. (2005). Positive psychology progress: Empirical validation of interventions. American Psychologist, 60(5), 410-421. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.60.5.410
- Sherer, M., Maddux, J., Mercandante, B., Prentice-Dunn, S., & Jacobs, B. (1982). The self-efficacy scale: construction and validation. Psychological Reports, 51, 663-671. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19126.96.36.1993
- Shin, E. J. (2008). A study related to self-efficacy, satisfaction with practice and fundamentals of nursing practicum. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamental Nursing, 15(3), 380-386.
- Shin, J. S., & Lee, Y. B. (1999). The effects of social supports on psychosocial well-being of the unemployed. Korean Journal of Social Welfare, 37, 241-269.
- Snyder, C. R., Rand, K. L., & Sigmon, D. R. (2002). Hope theory: A member of the positive psychology family. In C. R. Snyder, & S. J. Lopez (Eds). Handbook of positive psychology (pp. 257-276). NY: Oxford University Press.
- Su, Y. S., & Kim, Y. C. (2007). A study on factors affecting the turnover intention and job involvement of nurses. The Journal of Business Education, 12, 151-172.
- Zimet, G. D., Dahlem, N. W., Zimet, S. G., & Parley, G. K. (1988). The multidimensional scale of perceived social support. Journal of Personality Assessment, 52, 30-41. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa5201_2