- Volume 29 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Rice Hulls, Sawdust, Wood Shavings and Mixture of Sawdust and Wood Shavings, and Their Usefulness According to the Pen Location for Hanwoo Cattle
- Ahn, Gyu Chul (Department of Animal Science and Technology, College of Animal Bioscience and Technology, Konkuk University) ;
- Jang, Sun Sik (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kwak, Hyung Jun (Department of Animal Science and Technology, College of Animal Bioscience and Technology, Konkuk University) ;
- Lee, Sang Rak (Department of Animal Science and Technology, College of Animal Bioscience and Technology, Konkuk University) ;
- Oh, Young Kyun (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Park, Keun Kyu (Department of Animal Science and Technology, College of Animal Bioscience and Technology, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2015.10.20
- Accepted : 2016.01.07
- Published : 2016.04.01
In this study, two experiments were conducted to investigate the physicochemical characteristics (Exp. I) of bedding materials such as rice hulls (RH), sawdust (SD), wood shavings (WS) and sawdust+wood shavings (S+W; 1:1 in volume), and utilization of these beddings except RH (Exp. II) for rearing beef cattle. In Exp. I, the distribution of particle size (%) with
Animal Welfare;Bedding;Sawdust;Wood Shavings;Rrice Hulls;Ammonia Emission
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Ahn, G. C., K. Y. Lee, H. J. Kwak, W. S. Kwak, Y. K. Oh, S. S. Jang, and K. K. Park. 2015. Characteristics of sawdust and cocopeat beddings, and its usefulness according to the fan and pen location for rearing Hanwoo cattle. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 29:444-454.
- Burkholder, K. M., A. D. Guyton, J. M. McKinney, and K. F. Knowlton. 2004. The effect of steam flaked or dry ground corn and supplemental phytic acid on nitrogen partitioning in lactating cows and ammonia emission from manure. J. Dairy Sci. 87:2546-2553. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)73379-2
- Kweon, D. J., U. G. Kweon, S. G. Jeong, J. D. Han, S. C. Jung, S. W. Kang, S. L. Kang, H. S. Jung, and H. J. Chang. 1995. Study on the utilization of sawdust bedding barn for dairy cows. II. Comparision of utilization efficiency of the different depth of sawdust bedding for dairy cows. Kor. Soc. Livest. Hous. Environ. 1:117-124.
- Lowe, D. E., R. W. J. Steen, V. E. Beattie, and B. W. Moss. 2001. The effects of floor type systems on the performance, cleanliness, carcass composition and meat quality of housed finishing beef cattle. Livest. Prod. Sci. 69:33-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(00)00246-3
- Misselbrook, T. H. and J. M. Powell. 2005. Influence of bedding material on ammonia emissions from cattle excreta. J. Dairy Sci. 88:4304-4312. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)73116-7
- Olson, T. M. 1940. Absorptive capacity of different materials ordinarily used for bedding. J. Dairy. Sci. 23:355-360. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(40)95534-5
- SAS. 2002. SAS User's Guide, Statistics, Version 9.03 Edition. SAS Inst., Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- RSPCA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals). 2015. The five freedoms. https://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?blobcol=urlblob&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=RSPCABlob&blobwhere=1210683196122&ssbinary=true. Accessed September 30, 2015.