- Volume 29 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Rice Straw Supplemented with Urea and Molasses on Intermediary Metabolism of Plasma Glucose and Leucine in Sheep
- Alam, Mohammad Khairul (Department of Animal Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture, Iwate University) ;
- Ogata, Yasumichi (Department of Animal Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture, Iwate University) ;
- Sato, Yukari (Department of Animal Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture, Iwate University) ;
- Sano, Hiroaki (Department of Animal Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture, Iwate University)
- Received : 2015.04.24
- Accepted : 2015.08.12
- Published : 2016.04.01
An isotope dilution method using
- Alam, M. K., Y. Ogata, Y. Sako, M. Al-Mamun, and H. Sano. 2010. Intermediary metabolism of plasma acetic acid, glucose and protein in sheep fed a rice straw-based diet. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 23:1333-1339. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.10077
- Alam, M. K., M. Sasaki, M. Al-Mamun, and H. Sano. 2013. Plasma acetate turnover rate and rumen fermentation characteristics in sheep fed rice straw supplemented with soybean meal. J. Anim. Sci. Adv. 3:65-73. https://doi.org/10.5455/jasa.20130221014711
- Al-Mamun, M., C. Tanaka, Y. Hanai, Y. Tamura, and H. Sano. 2007. Effects of plantain (Plantago lanceolata L.) herb and heat exposure on plasma glucose metabolism in sheep. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 20:894-899. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.894
- AOAC. 1995. Official Methods of Analysis, 16th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA, USA.
- Broderick, G. A. and W. J. Radloff. 2004. Effect of molasses supplementation on the production of lactating dairy cows fed diets based on alfalfa and corn silage. J. Dairy Sci. 87:2997-3009. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)73431-1
- Calder, A. G. and A. Smith. 1988. Stable isotope ratio analysis of leucine and ketoisocaproic acid in blood plasma by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry. Use of tertiary butyldimethylsilyl derivatives. Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrum. 2:14-16. https://doi.org/10.1002/rcm.1290020105
- Can, A., N. Denek, and K. Yazgan. 2004. Effect of urea and molasses supplementation on nutrient intake and digestibility of sheep fed with straw. J. Anim. Vet. Adv. 3:466-469.
- Fox, M. T., D. Gerrelli, S. R. Pitt, and D. E. Jacobs. 1991. The relationship between appetite and plasma non-esterified fatty acid levels in housed calves. Vet. Res. Commun. 15:127-133. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00405144
- Hue, K. T., D. T. T. Van, and I. Ledin. 2008. Effect of supplementing urea treated rice straw and molasses with different forage species on the performance of lambs. Small Rumin. Res. 78:134-143. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2008.05.010
- Huggett, A. G. and D. A. Nixon. 1957. Enzymatic determination of blood glucose. Biochem. J. 66:12.
- Jain, N., S. P. Tiwari, and P. Singh. 2005. Effect of urea molasses mineral granules on rumen fermentation pattern and blood biochemical constituents in goat kids fed sola (Aeschonomene indica L.) grass-based diet. J. Vet. Arhiv. 75:521-530.
- Leng, R. A. 1990. Factors affecting the utilization of 'poor-quality' forages by ruminants particularly under tropical conditions. Nutr. Res. Rev. 3:277-303. https://doi.org/10.1079/NRR19900016
- Leng, R. A. and J. V. Nolan. 1984. Protein nutrition of the lactating dairy cow. J. Dairy Sci. 67:1072-1089. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(84)81409-5
- Milano, G. D. and G. E. Lobley. 2001. Liver nitrogen movements during short-term infusion of high levels of ammonia into the mesenteric vein of sheep. Br. J. Nutr. 86:507-513. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN2001426
- National Agriculture and Food Research Organization. 2006. Japanese feeding standard for dairy cattle. Japan Livestock Industry Association, Tokyo, Japan.
- National Research Council. 1985. Nutrient Requirements of Sheep 6th Ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Nolan, J. V. and R. A. Leng. 1972. Dynamic aspects of ammonia and urea metabolism in sheep. Br. J. Nutr. 27:177-194. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19720081
- Oba, M. and M. S. Allen. 2003. Extent of hypophagia caused by propionate infusion is related to plasma glucose concentration in lactating dairy cows. J. Nutr. 133:1105-1112. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/133.4.1105
- Ortigues-Marty, I., J. Vernet, and L. Majdoub. 2003. Whole body glucose turnover in growing and non-productive adult ruminants: meta-analysis and review. J. Reprod. Nutr. Dev. 43:371-383. https://doi.org/10.1051/rnd:2003030
- Rooke, J. A. and D. G. Armstrong. 1989. The importance of the form of nitrogen on microbial protein synthesis in the rumen of cattle receiving grass silage and continuous intrarumen infusions of sucrose. Br. J. Nutr. 61:113-121. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19890097
- Sano, H. and T. Fujita. 2006. Effect of supplemental calcium propionate on insulin action to blood glucose metabolism in adult sheep. Reprod. Nutr. Dev. 46:9-18. https://doi.org/10.1051/rnd:2005064
- Sano, H., T. Fujita, M. Murakami, and A. Shiga. 1996. Stimulative effect of epinephrine on glucose production and utilization rates in sheep using a stable isotope. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 13:445-451. https://doi.org/10.1016/0739-7240(96)00074-4
- Sano, H., M. Kajita, and T. Fujita. 2004. Effect of dietary protein intake on plasma leucine flux, protein synthesis, and degradation in sheep. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. B. 139:163-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpc.2004.06.018
- Sano, H., S. Shibasaki, and H. Sawada. 2009. The effect of the source of nitrogen supplementation on nitrogen balance, rates of plasma leucine turnover, protein synthesis and degradation in sheep. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 63:401-412. https://doi.org/10.1080/17450390903052698
- Sarnklong, C., J. W. Cone, W. Pellikaan, and W. H. Hendriks. 2010. Utilization of rice straw and different treatments to improve its feed value for ruminants: A Review. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 23:680-692. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.80619
- Schmidt, S. P. and R. K. Keith. 1983. Effects of diet and energy intake on kinetics of glucose metabolism in steers. J. Nutr. 113:2155-2163. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/113.11.2155
- Seal, C. J. and D. S. Parker. 1994. Effect of intraruminal propionic acid infusion on metabolism of mesenteric- and portal-drained viscera in growing steers fed a forage diet: I. Volatile fatty acids, glucose, and lactate. J. Anim. Sci. 72:1325-1334. https://doi.org/10.2527/1994.7251325x
- Singh, G. P., B. N. Gupta, and M. Madhu. 1995. Effect of supplementation urea molasses mineral licks to straw diet on dry matter intake, volatile fatty acids and methane production. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 48:290-294.
- Srinivas, B. and B. N. Gupta. 1997. Rumen fermentation, bacterial and total volatile fatty acid (TVFA) production rates in cattle fed on urea-molasses-mineral block licks supplement. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 65:275-286. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(96)01062-0
- SAS. 1996. SAS/STAT Software: Changes and Enhancements through Release 6.11. SAS Inst. Inc. Cary, NC, USA.
- Tedeschi, L. O, M. J. Baker, D. J. Ketchen, and D. G. Fox. 2002. Performance of growing and finishing cattle supplemented with a slow-release urea product and urea. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 82:567-573. https://doi.org/10.4141/A02-018
- Toppo, S., A. K. Verma, R. S. Dass, and U. R. Mehra. 1997. Nutrient utilization and rumen fermentation pattern in crossbred cattle fed different planes of nutrition supplemented with urea molasses mineral block. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 64:101-112. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(96)01070-X
- Tserng, K. Y. and S. C. Kalhan. 1983. Calculation of substrate turnover rate in stable isotope tracer studies. Am. J. Physiol. 245:E308-E311. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpcell.1983.245.5.C308
- Van Houtert, M. F. J. 1993. The production and metabolism of volatile fatty acids by ruminants fed roughages: A review. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 43:189-255. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(93)90078-X
- van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson, and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Wanapat, M., S. Polyrach, K. Boonnop, C. Mapato, and A. Cherdthong. 2009. Effect of treating rice straw with urea and calcium hydroxide upon intake, digestibility, rumen fermentation and milk yield of dairy cows. Livest. Sci. 125:238-243. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2009.05.001
- Weatherburn, M. W. 1967. Phenol-hypochlorite reaction for determination of ammonia. Anal. Chem. 39:971-974. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60252a045
- Wu, Y., W. Hu, and J. Liu. 2005. Effects of supplementary ureaminerals lick block on the kinetics of fibre digestion, nutrient digestibility and nitrogen utilization of low quality roughages. J. Zhejiang Univ. Sci. 8:793-797.
- Zhang, X. D., W. J. Chen, C. Y. Li, and J. X. Liu. 2009. Effects of protein-free energy supplementation on blood metabolites, insulin and hepatic PEPCK gene expression in growing lambs offered rice straw-based diet. Czech J. Anim. Sci. 54:481-489. https://doi.org/10.17221/1763-CJAS
- Zinn, R. A., R. Barrajas, M. Montano, and R. A. Ware. 2003. Influence of dietary urea level on digestive function and growth performance of cattle fed steam-flaked barley-based finishing diets. J. Anim. Sci. 81:2383-2389. https://doi.org/10.2527/2003.81102383x
- for rice straw as feed with moderate pretreatment vol.48, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/10826068.2017.1405023