- Volume 10 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
New fuzzy method in choosing Ground Motion Prediction Equation (GMPE) in probabilistic seismic hazard analysis
- Mahmoudi, Mostafa (School of Civil Engineering, Iran University of Science and Technology) ;
- Shayanfar, MohsenAli (Centre of Excellence for Fundamental Studies in Structural Engineering, Iran University of Science and Technology) ;
- Barkhordari, Mohammad Ali (Centre of Excellence for Fundamental Studies in Structural Engineering, Iran University of Science and Technology) ;
- Jahani, Ehsan (Faculty of Engineering and Technology, University of Mazandaran)
- Received : 2015.02.24
- Accepted : 2015.11.12
- Published : 2016.02.25
Recently, seismic hazard analysis has become a very significant issue. New systems and available data have been also developed that could help scientists to explain the earthquakes phenomena and its physics. Scientists have begun to accept the role of uncertainty in earthquake issues and seismic hazard analysis. However, handling the existing uncertainty is still an important problem and lack of data causes difficulties in precisely quantifying uncertainty. Ground Motion Prediction Equation (GMPE) values are usually obtained in a statistical method: regression analysis. Each of these GMPEs uses the preliminary data of the selected earthquake. In this paper, a new fuzzy method was proposed to select suitable GMPE at every intensity (earthquake magnitude) and distance (site distance to fault) according to preliminary data aggregation in their area using
probabilistic seismic hazard analysis (PSHA);Ground Motion Prediction Equation (GMPE);fuzzy method;
- Graizer, V., Shakal, A., Scrivner, C., Hauksson, E., Polet, J. and Jones, L. (2002), "TriNet Strong-Motion Data from the M 7.1 Hector Mine, California, Earthquake of 16 October 1999", Bull. Seism Soc. Am., 92(4), 1525-1542. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120000925
- Gutenberg, B. and Richter, C.F. (1954), "Seismicity of the earth", 2nd edition, Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jercy, USA.
- Jayaram, N., Baker, J.W., Okano, H., Ishida, H., McCann, M.W. and Mihara, Y. (2011), "Correlation of response spectral values in Japanese ground motions", Earthq. Struct., 2(4), 357-376. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2011.2.4.357
- Joyner, W.B. and Boore, D.M. (1981), "Peak horizontal acceleration and velocity from strong-motion records including records from the (1979), Imperial Valley, California, earthquake", Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 71(6), 2011-2038.
- Kalkan, E. and Gulkan, P. (2004), "Site-dependent spectra derived from ground motion records in Turkey", Earthq. Spectra, 20(4), 1111-1138. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1812555
- Kanamori, H. (1983), "Mechanism of the 1983 Coalinga earthquake determined from long period surface waves", Spec. Pub. Calif. Div. Min. Geol., 66, 233-240.
- Kappos, A.J., Panagopoulos, A.G., Sextos, H., Papanikolaou, V.K. and Stylianidis, K.C. (2010), "Development of comprehensive earthquake loss scenarios for a Greek and a Turkish city-structural aspects", Earthq. Struct., 1(2), 197-214. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2010.1.2.197
- Kim, Y., Langari, R. and Hurlebus, S. (2010), "Model-based multi-input, multi-output supervisory semiactive nonlinear fuzzy controller", Comput. Aid. Civ. Infrastruct. Eng., 25(5), 387-393. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8667.2009.00649.x
- Kulkarni, R.B., Young, R.R. and Coppersmith, K.J. (1984), "Assessment of confidence intervals for results of seismic hazard analysis", Proceedings of eighth world conference on earthquake engineering, San Francisco.
- Kyriazis, D.P., Anastasios, I.A., Kalliopi, G.K., Maria, V.M., Dimitra, K.M., Maria, N.A., Stavroula, D.F., Sotiris, A.A. and Kostas, G.S. (2011), "Development of comprehensive earthquake loss scenarios for a Greek and a Turkish city: seismic hazard, geotechnical and lifeline aspects", Earthq. Struct., 2(3), 207-232. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2011.2.3.207
- Lamarre, M. and Dong, W. (1986), "Evaluation of seismic hazard with fuzzy algorithm", Proceedings of the Third World, U.S. National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Charleston.
- Ahumada, A., Altunkaynak, A. and Ayoub, A. (2015), "Fuzzy logic-based attenuation relationships of strong motion earthquake records", Exp. Syst. Appl., 42(3), 1287-1297. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2014.09.035
- Ambraseys, N.N., Douglas, J., Sarma, S.K. and Smit, P.M. (2005a), "Equations for the estimation of strong ground motions from shallow crustal earthquakes using data from Europe and the Middle East: Horizontal peak ground acceleration and spectral acceleration", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 3(1), 1-53. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-005-0183-0
- Berberian, M., Qorashi, M., Arzhang-ravesh, B. and Mohajer-Ashjai, A. (1983), "Recent Tectonics, Seismotectonics and Earthquake-Fault Hazard Investigation in the Greater Tehran Region: Contribution to the Seismotectonics of Iran", Part V. Geological Survey of Iran, Report No. 56.
- Berberian, M. and Yeats, R.S. (1999), "Patterns of historical earthquake rupture in the Iranian plateau", Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 89(1), 120-139.
- Bommer, J.J., Douglas, J. and Strasser, F.O. (2003), "Style-of-faulting in ground-motion prediction equations", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 1(2), 171-203. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1026323123154
- Borcherdt, R.D. (2014), "Implications of next generation attenuation ground motion prediction equations for site coefficients used in earthquake resistant design", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 43(9), 1343-1360. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2400
- Cheng, Y., Lucchini, F. and Mollaili, F. (2014), "Proposal of new Ground-Motion prediction equations for elastic input energy spectra", Earthq. Struct., 7(4), 485-510. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.4.485
- Coppersmith, K.J. (1991), "Seismic source characterization for engineering seismic hazard analyses", Proceeding Fourth International Conference on Seismic Zonation, Stanford University, 4, 3-60.
- Cornell, C.A. (1968), "Engineering seismic risk analysis", Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 58(5), 1583-1606.
- Das, D., Datta, T.K. and Madan, A. (2012), "Semi active fuzzy control of the seismic response of building frames with MR dampers", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 41(1), 99-118. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1120
- Douglas, J. (2011), "Ground motion prediction equations 1964-2010", PEER Report 2011/102, Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center, University of California, Berkeley.
- Fukushima, Y., and T. Tanaka (1990), "A new attenuation relation for peak horizontal acceleration of strong earthquake ground motion in Japan", Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am. 80, 757-783.
- Furuta, H. (1993), "Comprehensive analysis for structural damage based upon fuzzy sets theory", J. Intel. Fuzzy Syst., 1(1), 55-61.
- Ghodrati Amiri, G., Mahdavian, A. and Dana, F.M. (2007a), "Attenuation relationships for Iran", J. Earthq. Eng., 11(4), 469-492. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632460601034049
- Ghodrati Amiri, G., Motamed, R. and Rabet Es-haghi, H. (2003), "Seismic hazard assessment of Metropolitan Tehran, Iran", J. Earthq. Eng., 7(3), 347-372.
- Graizer, V. and Kalkan, E. (2007), "Ground motion attenuation model for peak horizontal acceleration from shallow crustal earthquakes", Earthq. Spectra, 23(3), 585-613. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.2755949
- Abrahamson, N.A. and Shedlock, K.M. (1997), "Overview", Seism. Res. Lett., 68, 9-23. https://doi.org/10.1785/gssrl.68.1.9
- Mahdavian, A. (2000), "Design response spectra for large dam in Iran", Proceedings of International Commission of Large Dams (ICOLD), China.
- Megawati, K. and Pan, T.-C. (2010), "Ground-motion attenuation relationship for the Sumatran megathrust earthquakes", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 39, 827-845.
- Mirzaei, H. (2000), Geological Site Investigation on Some Accelerograph Stations in Iran through Geophysical Method, BHRC publication no. 324, Tehran, Iran. (in Persian)
- Mirzaei, H. and Farzanegan E. (1998), Specifications of the Iranian Accelerograph Network Stations, BHRC publication no. 280, Tehran, Iran. (in Persian)
- EERI (Earthquake Engineering Research Institute), Committee on Seismic Risk (1989), "The basics of seismicrisk analysis", Earthq. Spectra, 5, 675-702. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585549
- Nomura, Y., Furuta, H. and Hirokane, M. (2007), "An integrated fuzzy control system for structural vibration", Comput. Aid. Civ. Infrastruct. Eng., 22(4), 306-316. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8667.2007.00487.x
- Nowroozi, A.A. (2005), "Attenuation relations for peak horizontal and vertical accelerations of earthquake ground motion in Iran: A preliminary analysis", J. Seism. Earthq. Eng., 7(2), 109-128.
- Sigbjornsson, R. (2004), "Uncertainty analysis of strong ground motion", 13th WCEE, Vancouver, August 2004, Paper No.1536.
- Ramazi H.R. (1998), Basic Accelerograms Data of the Iranian Accelerographs Network, BHRC publication no. 256, Tehran, Iran. (in Persian)
- Sarma, S.K. and Srbulov, M. (1996), "A simplified method for prediction of kinematic soil foundation interaction effects on peak horizontal acceleration of a rigid foundation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 25(8), 815-836. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199608)25:8<815::AID-EQE583>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Souflis, C. and Grivas, D.A. (1986), "Fuzzy set approach to linguistic seismic load and damage assessment", J. Eng. Mech., 112(6), 650.
- Sun, S.S, Sung, D.C. and Yong, R.K. (2002), "Empirical evaluation of a fuzzy logic-based software quality prediction model", Fuzzy Set. Syst., 127(2), 199-208. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-0114(01)00128-2
- Tavakoli, B. and Ghafory-Ashtiany, M. (1999), "Seismic hazard assessment of Iran", Annali DiGeofisica, 42, The Global Seismic Hazard Assessment Program (GSHAP), 1013-1021.
- Tavakoli, B. (1996), Major seismotectonic provinces of Iran, International Institute of Earthquake Engineering and Seismology, Internal Document. (in Persian)
- Vacareanu, R., Demetriu, S., Lungu, D., Pavel, F., Arion, C., Iancovici, M., Aldea, A. and Neagu, C. (2014), "Empirical ground motion model for Vrancea intermediate-depth seismic source", Earthq. Struct., 6(2), 141-161. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.6.2.141
- Wadia-Fascetti, S. and Gunes, B. (2000), "Earthquake response spectra models incorporating fuzzy logic with statistics", Comput. Aid. Civ. Infrastruct. Eng., 15(2), 134-146. https://doi.org/10.1111/0885-9507.00178
- Wadia-Fascetti, S. and Smith, H.A. (1996), "Calibration of structural models using fuzzy mathematics", Comput. Aid. Civ. Infrastruct. Eng., 11(1), 19-35. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8667.1996.tb00306.x
- Wen, Y.K., Ellingwood, B.R., Veneziano, D. and Bracci, J. (2003), "Uncertainty modeling in earthquake engineering", Mid-America earthquake center project FD-2 report.
- Yadman Sazeh Corporation (2002), "Report on Seismicity, Seismotectonic and Seismic Hazard Analysis of Milad Tower-Final Report", Tehran, Iran.
- Yamada, M., Kawamura, H. and Tani, A. (2002), "A support system for fuzzy optimum aseismic structural design of reinforced concrete buildings using graphical representation", Comput. Aid. Civ. Infrastruct. Eng., 7(1), 29-42.
- Zare, M. (1999), "Conribution a l'etude des mouvementsfortsen Iran: du Catalogue aux loisd'attenuation", Thesede Doctorat, Ph.D. Dissertation, Universite Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, France.
- Zare, M., Bard, P.Y. and Ghafory-Ashtiany, M. (1999a), "Site characterization for the Iranian Strong Motion Network", Soil Dyn. Eng., 18(18), 101-123. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0267-7261(98)00040-2
- Zare, M., Ghafory-Ashtiany, M. and Bard, P.-Y. (1999), "Attenuation law for the strong-motions in Iran", Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Seismology and Earthquake Engineering, Tehran.
- Ground-Motion Prediction Equations based on refined data for dynamic time-history analysis vol.11, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.11.5.779