- Volume 52 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A basic study on the introduction of safety management system for the deep-sea fishing vessel in Korea
원양어선 안전관리체제 도입에 관한 기초 연구
- LEE, Yoo-Won (Education Operation Team, Korea Institute of Maritime and Fisheries Technology) ;
- KIM, Seok-Jae (Education Operation Team, Korea Institute of Maritime and Fisheries Technology) ;
- PARK, Tae-Geun (Education Operation Team, Korea Institute of Maritime and Fisheries Technology) ;
- PARK, Tae-Sun (Education Operation Team, Korea Institute of Maritime and Fisheries Technology) ;
- KIM, Hyung-seok (Division of Marine Production System Management, Pukyong National University) ;
- RYU, Kyong-Jin (Education Operation Team, Korea Institute of Maritime and Fisheries Technology)
- 이유원 (한국해양수산연수원 교육운영팀) ;
- 김석재 (한국해양수산연수원 교육운영팀) ;
- 박태건 (한국해양수산연수원 교육운영팀) ;
- 박태선 (한국해양수산연수원 교육운영팀) ;
- 김형석 (부경대학교 해양생산시스템관리학부) ;
- 류경진 (한국해양수산연수원 교육운영팀)
- Received : 2016.09.20
- Accepted : 2016.10.17
- Published : 2016.11.30
The analysis on the international safety management code (ISM Code) and case of foreign national safety management for fishing vessel was conducted to serve as a basic data on the introduction of safety management system (SMS) for a deep-sea fishing vessel in Korea. As a result, Maritime New Zealand (MNZ) has managed operations of SMS in the maritime rules according to the Maritime Transport Act since 1994. MNZ underwent a safe ship management (SSM), which includes elements applied to shipping companies, ship and verification of the ISM Code for ships, except ISM Code application since 1998. In 2014 the introduction of the advanced maritime operator safety system (MOSS) superior to the SSM by MNZ was promoted actively switch and enforcement. Meanwhile, the safe operation manual of Japanese fishing vessel includes large part of the contents of the ISM Code, and voluntary implementation to fit the realities of the fishing vessel. The law application of SMS for a deep-sea fishing vessel after the newly establishment of the Ocean Industry Development Act to SMS would be advantageous to the schematic management, supervision, maintenance and application and, in 2016 from the implementation of maritime safety supervisor for a deep-sea fishing vessel that the management and supervision through the fishing vessel will be the efficient operation. The configuration of the safety management system in a deep-sea fishing vessel should be included as an element of ISM Code. The introduction of such a system is gradually applicable, such as nationality overseas vessel case study of the ISM Code, and vessels that are excluded from the application will be implemented as autonomous as Japan. The results are expected to contribute to sustainable development in the ocean industry safety culture spread throughout the ocean industry through the enhancement of safety fishing competency and safety management responsibility of fisher.
- Chong CH, Noh CK, Chung KM and Youn MO. 2006. A study on plans to promote rationalization of the coaster safety management system. Jour Kor Soc Mar Envir Safety 12(4), 241-246.
- Kang WS, Kim HY, Lim SY and Park YS. 2013. Foundational research for empowerment of internal shipping company -A study on safety management consulting service-. 2013 Spring Meeting of the Korean Society of Marine Environment & Safety. 102-104.
- Kim HY. 2013. A study on development of safety management evaluation index for shipping company. Jour Kor Soc Mar Envir Safety 19(6), 629-636. (DOI: 10.7837/kosomes.2013.19.6.629) https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2013.19.6.629
- Korea Maritime Safety Tribunal (KMST). 2016. Marine casualty statistics. http://data.kmst.go.kr/kmst/statistics/annualReport/selectAnnualReportList.do#a. Accessed 25 Aug 2016.
- Korea seafarer's welfare & employment center (KOSWEC). 2016. Vessel state: ocean-going fishing vessels. http://www.koswec.or.kr/koswec/information/sailorshipstatistics/detailSailorShipStaticsPage.do. Accessed 25 Aug 2016.
- Korea Register, 2010. International safety management code. Yoo Il Publishing, Busan, 1-157.
- Japan Ocean Promotion Association (JOPA), 1994. Safe operation manual of a purse seining fishing boat. 1-50.
- Maritime New Zealand (MNZ). 2014a. Maritime Rules Part 19: Maritime Transport Operator Certification and Responsibilities. 1-11.
- Maritime New Zealand (MNZ). 2014b. Maritime Rules Part 21: Safe Ship Management System. 1-7.
- New Zealand Coast Guard, 2014. MOSS implementation plan 2013-V3. 1-10.
- Noh CK and Chong CH. 2005. A fundamental study on the introduction result analysis and activation plan establishment of coastal safety management code. Jour Kor Soc Mar Envir Safety 12(4), 23-29.
- Noh CK and Kim CS. 2006. Empirical study of ISM code induction effects by the Korean government. 2006 Spring Meeting of the Korean Society of Marine Environment & Safety, 27-31.
- Ministry of Transport New Zealand, 2013. Cabinet economic growth and infrastucture committee paper: maritime operator safety system: maritime rule parts 19 and 44, 1-17.
- Ryu KJ, Kim WS, Lee YW, Kim SG, Kim SJ, Kang IW and Kim HS. 2015. Comparison and analysis of marine officer license system for fishing vessels between Republic of Korea and New Zealand. Jour Fish Mar Sci Edu 27(5), 1266-1273. (DOI:10.13000/JFMSE.2015.27.5.1265) https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2015.27.5.1265
- Reduction plan of marine casualty for small fishing vessels vol.54, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFOT.2018.54.2.173