- Volume 52 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Analysis on fishing conditions of the Korean tuna purse seiner operating in the western and central Pacific Ocean
중서부태평양 한국 다랑어 선망어선의 조업실태 분석
- PARK, Yong-Ye (Department of Fishery Production, The Graduate School Global Fisheries, Pukyong National University) ;
- LEE, Yoo-Won (Education Operation Team, Korea Institute of Maritime and Fisheries Technology) ;
- LEE, Dae-Jae (Division of Marine Production System Management, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2016.10.10
- Accepted : 2016.11.20
- Published : 2016.11.30
To suggest more efficient fishing operation, it was analyzed using five years (2011~2015) catch data of six Korean-flagged tuna purse seiners (with 1000 mt of haul capacity) operating in the western and central Pacific Ocean. In terms of annual total catch, it presented a two-year cycle of variation on catch, showing that catches of 2012, 2014 and 2015 were high, whereas those of 2011 and 2013 were low. The proportions on fishing effort of associated set were around 21.9~30.8% having 21.5~45.0% of total catch. In this study, there was no significant difference between catches of unassociated set and associated set. When considered having good fishing conditions, fishing activities were concentrated in the areas of Papua New Guinea (PNG) and Kiribati, while it showed that fishing ground spreaded out to the areas of not only PNG and Kiribati but also Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), Tuvalu and Solomon islands. The average number of fishing days was 271 with a range of 246~285. As restriction on fishing operation such as reduction of fishing days and higher fishing fee are expected to strengthen, the result of this study will be helpful to select more efficient fishing methods for purse seine fishery based on fishing conditions.
Tuna purse seine fishery;WCPFC;FAD;VDS;Fishing characteristics
- An DH, Moon DY, Koh JR, Cho KD and Kim DS. 2003. Effect of El Nino event on the distribution of Korean tuna purse seine fishery in the western central Pacific Ocean. J Korean Soc Fish Res 6(1), 32-40.
- Kim HS. 1999. Property of fish school and vertical temperature profile of tuna purse seine in the Western Pacific Ocean. Bull Korean Soc Fish Technol 35(3), 237-242.
- Kim SW and Kim JK. 1995. The distribution of Catch by Korean tuna purse seiners in the Western Pacific Ocean. Kor Soc Fish Mar Sci Edu 4(1), 30-46.
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries (MOF). 2016. Fisheries statistics in fisheries information service. http://www.fips.go.kr Accessed 27 July 2016.
- Moon DY, Lee JU and Kim JB. 1996. On the Log-Associated School Fishery of Korean tuna purse seiners. J. Kor Fish Soc 29(2), 197-207.
- Moon DY, Yang WS, Kim SS, Koh JR and Kim EJ. 2005. Characteristics of the Korean tuna purse seine fishery in the Western and Central Pacific Ocean. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 41(4), 263-270. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2005.41.4.263
- Lee MK, Lee SI, Kim ZK, Ku JE, Park HW and Yoon SC. 2015. The fishing characteristics of Korean tuna purse seine fishery in the Pacific Ocean. J Kor ean Soc Fish Technol 51(3), 414-423. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.3.414) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.3.414
- Park SW. 1984. On the tuna schools associated with the drift objects or animals in the western equatorial Pacific waters. Bull kor Fish Soc 17(1), 47-54.
- Park YC, Lee JW, Kim JB and Moon DY. 1998. Fishing grounds and fishing efficiency by using of helicopter for the Korean tuna purse seine fishery in the Western tropical Pacific Ocean. J Korean Soc Fish Res 1(1), 59-66.
- A Study on the Improvement of Hull-Form Design for Propulsion Type Change of Net Boat Mounted on Tuna Purse Seiner vol.24, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2018.24.6.810