- Volume 17 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
A study on types of AIDS perception : Focus on Q-methodology Application
AIDS인식 유형에 대한 연구 : Q방법론 적용을 중심으로
- Ahn, Lee-Su (Department of Public law administration, ShinHan University)
- 안이수 (신한대학교 공법행정학과)
- Received : 2016.07.27
- Accepted : 2016.10.07
- Published : 2016.10.31
The purpose of this study is to analyze the cognizance of AIDS by applying the Q methodology, as well as to provide preliminary data for developing AIDS prevention campaigns. A Q population was identified from a literature search and in-depth interviews. The study process analyzed the P sample, the study participants, using the Q-sorting methodology to produce the Q sample, which is composed of statements from October 20 to 27, 2014. 20 participants (analyzed) 27 statements and 3 types of AIDS cognizance were produced as a result. These types are 1(N=9), 2(N=6), and 3(N=5), which correspond to denial, social support, and selfish motivation, respectively. The members of the denial type had a strongly negative opinion about AIDS, whereas the social support type showed a friendly gesture. The selfish motivation type took a neutral stance. The common and different points, as well as the distinctive features of these types, were studied. The accomplishments of this study include suggesting an efficient strategy for making an AIDS control policy, as well as a qualitative analysis, through the employment of the Q-methodology, which is useful for understanding human beings' (internal viewpoint).
Supported by : 신한대학교
- UNAIDS. Fact Sheet 2014. 2015.
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, "2014 Annual Report on the Notified HIV/AIDS in Korea", Osong : 2014.
- Y. R. Yang, "Types of AIDS Knowledge and Attitudes in a Korean Population and Their Related Factors", Korean Public Health Research, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 51-62, 2015.
- M. Magnus, J. Herwehe, M. Murtaza-Rossini, P. Reine, D. Cuffie, D. Gruber, M. Kaiser, "Linking and retaining HIV patients in care: The importance of provider attitudes and behaviors", AIDS Patient Care STDS, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 297-303, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/apc.2012.0423 https://doi.org/10.1089/apc.2012.0423
- E. C. Jung, "Health Communication", Seoul : Communication Books, Inc., 2013.
- A. R. Sohn, J. S. Moon, S. B. Shin, S. S. Chun, S. Y. Kim, "Discriminatory Attitudes towards Person with HIV/AIDS (PWHAs) among Adolescents in Seoul, Korea", Journal of Health and Social Science, vol. 23, pp. 31-56, 2008.
- A. R. Sohn, J. S. Moon, J. E. Park, S. S. Chun, S. D. Ko, "HIV/AIDS Knowledge and Discriminatory Attitudes and Identifying Factors Which Impact the Discriminatory Attitudes towards Persons With HIV/AIDS among Adolescents in Seoul, Korea", Journal of Health and Social Science, vol. 21, pp. 25-49, 2007.
- K. Merakou, C. Costopoulos, J. Marcopoulou, J. Kourea-Kremastinou, "Knowledge, attitudes and behaviour after 15 years of HIV/AIDS prevention in schools.", European Journal of Public Health, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 90-93, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/12.2.90 https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/12.2.90
- R. J. Blendon, K. Donelan, R. A. Knox, "Public opinion and AIDS: lessons for the second decade." Journal of the American Medical Association, no. 267, pp:981-986, 1992. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jama.267.7.981 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1992.03480070097039
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, "2012 Annual Report on the Notified HIV/AIDS in Korea", Osong : 2012.
- B. L. Genberg, S. Kawichai, A. Chingono, M. Sendah, S. Chariyalertsak, K. A. Konda, D. D. Celentano, "Assessing HIV/AIDS Stigma and Discrimination in Developing Countries", AIDS and Behavior, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 772-780, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10461-007-9340-6 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10461-007-9340-6
- G. M. Herek, J. P. Capitanio, K. F. Widaman, "HIV-related stigma and knowledge in the United States: prevalence and trends, 1991-1999." Am J Public Health, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 371-377, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.92.3.371 https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.92.3.371
- M. Visser, T. Kershaw, J. Makin, B. W. C. Forsyth, "Development of Parallel Scales to Measure HIV-Related Stigma", AIDS and Behavior, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 759-771, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10461-008-9363-7 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10461-008-9363-7
- S. A. Yang, "Factors Influencing Nursing Students' Willingness to Care for HIV/AIDS-Infected Patients in Korea", Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 469-486, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.11.469 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.11.469
- H. G. Kim, M. Y. Jeon, "Subjectivity of Blood Donation", Journal of Human Subjectivity, vol. 7, pp. 107-129, 2002.
- H. K. Kim, "Q Methodology and Creation of Advertising Message", Operant Subjectivity, vol. 20, - Issue 1/2, pp. 28-29, 1997.
- H. G. Kim, "Q Methodology : Philosophy, Theories, Analysis, and Application", Seoul : Communication Books, Inc., 2008.
- H. G. Kim, "The Study of Effectiveness of Q Methodology", Journal of Human Subjectivity, vol. 1, pp. 15-23, 1999.
- J. S. Seong, E. Y. Yeom, "The Types and Characteristics of the Male Nurses Perceived by Female Nurses : An Application of Q- Methodology", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 572-584, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.1.572 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.1.572
- E. J. Yeun, H. J. Kim, M. S. Jeon, J. A. Yoon, "A Comparison General Public and Health Prefessionals' Perception toward Life-Sustaining Treatment", Journal of Human Subjectivity, vol. 25, pp. 21-34, 2012.
- M. Y. Jeon, M. H. Kim, J. M. Jo, "Subjectivity on Aging:a Coorientational Approach", Journal of Human Subjectivity, vol. 14, pp. 129-145, 2007.
- C. H. Yang, J. Y. Lee, "On the Use of Q Methodology in Research on the Subjective Perceptions of Election Campaign Advertising", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 115-126, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.01.115 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.01.115
- H. G. KimC. Y. Cha, "Preference Factors in the Materials of Television Life-information Program", Journal of Human Subjectivity, vol. 17, pp. 157-178, 2008.
- L Brown, K Macintyre, L Trujillo, "Inventions to Reduce HIV/AIDS Stigma: What Have We Learned?", Education and Prevention, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 49-69, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1521/aeap.184.108.40.20644 https://doi.org/10.1521/aeap.220.127.116.1144
- A. Shon, S. Park, "HIV/AIDS Knowledge, Stigmatizing Attitudes, and Related Behaviors and Factors that Affect Stigmatizing Attitudes against HIV/AIDS among Korean Adolescents", Osong: Public Health Res Perspect, vol. 3, pp. 24-30, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.phrp.2012.01.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phrp.2012.01.004
- J. H. Goo, "The analysis of media effect and communication effect of AIDS campaign in Korea, 2011.", Public Health Weekly Report, vol. 5, no. 29, pp. 541-545, 2012.
- J. N. Clarke, "Cancer, heart disease, and AIDS: What do the media tell us about the diseases?", Health Communication, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 105-120, 1992. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1207/s15327027hc0402_2 https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327027hc0402_2
- G. Petros, C. O. Airhihenbuwa, L. Simbayi, S. Ramlagan, B. Brown, "HIV/AIDS and 'othering' in South Africa: The blame goes on. Culture", Culture, Health & Sexuality: An International Journal for Research Intervention and Care, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 67-77, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13691050500391489 https://doi.org/10.1080/13691050500391489
- J. Tulloch, D. Lupton, "Television, AIDS, and risk: A cultural studies approach to health communication", St Leonards, Australia: Allen and Unwin, 1997.
- E. Lester, "The AIDS story and moral panic: How the Euro-African press constructs AIDS", Howard Journal of Communication, vol. 3, no. 3-4, pp. 230-241, 1992. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10646179209359752 https://doi.org/10.1080/10646179209359752
- D. L. Parra, M. A. Mateo, "Scientifically correct racism: Health studies' unintended effects against minority groups", Language and Intercultural Communication, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 152-162, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2167/laic271.0 https://doi.org/10.2167/laic271.0
- A. R. Shon, D. S. Kwoen, C. H. Choi, "Effects of Peer Education Program for Prevention of AIDS for Middle School Students", Korean journal of health education and promotion, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 281-299, 2003.
- A. R. Shon, B. H. Jo, "An Examination of Socio-demographic Variables, Decisional Balance and Self-efficacy for Condom Use in the Korean Adult Population", Journal of The Korea Society of Health Informatics and Statistics, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 76-94, 2003.
- Ye-Jean Kim, "The Relationship between Attitude, Subjective Norms, Perceived Behavioral Control, Intention and Safer Sexual Behavior in the Experienced University Students of Sexual Intercourse", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 356-366, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.1.356 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.1.356
- S. D. Kim, M. G. Kim, "An effect of using internet health information of University students according to their internal and external health control", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 15, no. 5 pp. 3069-3073, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.3069
- S. D. Kim, M. G. Kim, "The effect of university students approach to health information on improvement of health behavior", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 3268-3275, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.5.3268 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.5.3268
- H. J. Baek, H. G. Lee, "Health communication messages, audiences, media strategy", Seoul : CommunicationBooks, Inc.,, 2013.
- P. Washer, "Representations of SARS in the British newspapers", Social Science and Medicine, vol. 59, no. 12, pp. 2561-2571, 2004.. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2004.03.038
- N. Bardhan, "Transnational AIDS-HIV news narratives: A critical exploration of overarching frames", Mass Communication and Society, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 283-309, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1207/S15327825MCS0403_03 https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327825MCS0403_03
- N. Corcoran, "Communicating Health: Strategies for health promotion", Sage Publications Ltd, 2013.