- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Design of a wind turbine generator with low cogging torque by using evolution strategy
진화론적 알고리즘을 이용한 코깅토크가 적은 풍력발전기의 설계
- Park, Ju-Gyeong (Elecrtical Engineering, Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Cha, Guee-Soo (Elecrtical Engineering, Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Lee, Hee-Joon (MirtechRnd) ;
- Kim, Yong-Sub (Mecsys)
- Received : 2016.05.30
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
The demand for independent generators using renewable energy has been increasing. Among those independent generators, small wind turbine generators have been actively developed. Permanent magnets are generally used for small wind turbine generators to realize a simple structure and small volume. On the other hand, cogging torque is included due to the structure of the permanent magnet synchronous machine, which can be the source of noise and vibration. The cogging torque can be varied by the shape of the permanent magnet and core, and it can be reduced using the appropriate design techniques. This paper proposes a design technique that can reduce the cogging torque by changing the shape of the permanent magnets for SPMSM (Surface Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor), which is used widely for small wind turbine generators. Evolution Strategy, which is one of non-deterministic optimization techniques, was adopted to find the optimal shape of the permanent magnets that can reduce the cogging torque. The angle and outer diameter of permanent magnet were set as the design variable. A 300W class wind turbine generator, whose pole/slot combination was 8 poles/18 slots, was designed with the proposed design technique. The properties of the generator, including the cogging torque and output voltage, were calculated. The calculation results showed that the cogging torque of the optimized model was reduced compared to that of the initial model. The design technique proposed by this paper can be an effective measure to reduce the cogging torque.
Cogging torque;Design techinque;Evolution strategy;Torque ripple;Wind turbine generator
Supported by : 중소기업청
- D. K.Kim, H. G. Jeong, H. S.Park, "Improved back-EMF of 30kW Interior Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generator for Small Hydropower Generation," Trans. KIEE, vol. 63, no.5, pp. 660-665, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5370/kiee.2014.63.5.660
- C. C. Chan, K. T. Chau, "Novel Permanent MagnetMotor Drives for Electric Vehicles," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 331-339, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/41.491357 https://doi.org/10.1109/41.491357
- J. H. Kim, S. G. Kang, S. Y. Jung, "Design of SPMSM for Eelectric Power Steering in vehicle Considering Cogging Torquereduction," 2015 KIEE 46th Conference, pp. 123-124, 2015.
- T.Takeuchi, "DAIGAKUKATEI DENKI SEKKEIGAKU," Korean language edition, pp. 27-64, Dong-Il publishing Co, 1994.
- J. R. Hendershot. Jr, T. J. E. Miller, "DESIGN OF BRUSHLESS PERMANENT-MAGNETMOTORS," MagnaPhysics, pp. 3-1-3-74, 1994.
- H. J. Lee, Y. M. Kim, J. S. Oh, M. H. Ku, K. H. Baek, G.S. Cha, "1kW Class of Small Wind Generators Cogging Torque Reduction Method of Research," 2012 KIEE Conference, pp. 288-290, 2012.
- I. H.Park, D. S.Kim, G.S. Park, "A Study on Reducing Cogging Torque by Core Shapes in PermanentMagnet Motors," Journal of Korean Magnetics Society, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 61-67, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4283/JKMS.2010.20.2.061 https://doi.org/10.4283/JKMS.2010.20.2.061
- BL. Chikouche1, K. Boughrara, R. Ibtiouen, "Cogging Torque Minimization of Surface-Mounted Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machines Using Hybrid Magnet Shapes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, vol.62, pp. 49-61, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2528/PIERB14112302 https://doi.org/10.2528/PIERB14112302
- M. Kasper, "Shape Optimization by Evolution Strategy," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, vol.28, no.2, pp.1556-1559, 1992. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/20.123995 https://doi.org/10.1109/20.123995