- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
U-type Cross-Counter Indirect Evaporative Cooler made of Plastic/Paper
U형 직교 대향류 플라스틱/종이 재질 간접증발소자
- Kim, Nea-Hyun (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Incheon National University)
- 김내현 (인천대학교 기계공학과)
- Received : 2016.08.08
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
In Korea, the summer is hot and humid, and much electricity is consumed for air conditioning. Thus, the simultaneous usage of an indirect evaporative cooler and a common air conditioner could reduce the sensible heat and save electricity. This study developed a U-type cross-counter flow indirect evaporative cooler (IEC) made of plastic and paper. The efficiencies were compared with those of a cross-flow IEC. The specimen was
Indirect evaporative cooler;Cross-counter;Performance;Paper;Plastic
- Duan, Z., Zhan, C., Zhang, X., Mustafa, M. Zhao, X., Alimohammadisgvand, B. and Hasan, A., "Indirect evaporative cooling: past, present and future potentials," Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev., vol. 16, pp. 6823-6850, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2012.07.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2012.07.007
- Jaber, S. and Ajib, S., "Evaporative cooling as an efficient system in Mediterranean region," Appl. Therm. Eng., vol. 31, pp. 2590-2596, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2011.04.026 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2011.04.026
- Caliskan, H., Dincer, I. and Hepbasil, A., "Exergoeconomic enviroecomomic and sustainability analyses of a novel air cooler," Energy Build., vol. 55, pp. 747-756, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2012.03.024 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2012.03.024
- Costello, B. and Finn, D., "Thermal effectiveness characteristics of low approach indirect evaporative cooling systems in buildings," Energy Build., vol. 39, pp. 1235-1243, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2007.01.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2007.01.003
- Maheshwari, G. P., Al-Ragom, F. and Suri, R. K., "Energy saving potential of an indirect evaporative cooler," Appl. Energy, vol. 69, pp. 69-76, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0306-2619(00)00066-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0306-2619(00)00066-0
- Santamouris, M. and Kolokotsa, D., "Passive cooling dissipation techniques for buildings and other structures: the state of the art," Energy Build., vol. 57, pp. 74-94, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2012.11.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2012.11.002
- Watt, J. D. and Brown, W. K., Evaporative No. 0, Air Conditioning Handbook, 3rd ed., The Fairmont Press Inc., 1997.
- Pescod, D., "A heat exchanger for energy saving in an air conditioning plant," ASHRAE Trans., vol. 85., Pt. 2, pp. 238-251, 1979.
- Maclaine-Cross, I. L. and Banks, P. J., "A general theory of wet surface heat exchangers and its application to regenerative cooling," J. Heat Transfer, vol. 103, pp. 578-585, 1981. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.3244505
- Kettleborough, C. F. and Hsieh, C. S., "The thermal performance of the wet surface plastic plate heat exchanger used in an indirect evaporative cooler," J. Heat Transfer, vol. 105, pp. 366-373, 1983. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.3245587 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3245587
- Parker, R. O. and Treybal, R. E., "The heat mass transfer characteristics of evaporative coolers," Chem. Eng. Prog. Symp. Ser. vol 57, no. 32, pp. 138-149, 1962.
- Hasan, A. an Siren, K., "Performance investigation of plain and finned tube evaporatively cooled heat exchangers," Appl. Therm. Eng., vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 325-340, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1359-4311(02)00194-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-4311(02)00194-1
- Zalewski, W. and Gryglaszewski, P. A., "Mathematical model of heat and mass transfer processes in evaporative coolers," Chem. Eng. Process, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 271-280, 1977. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0255-2701(97)00006-8
- Ren, C. and Yang, H., "An analytical model for the heat and mass transfer processes in indirect evaporative cooling with parallel/counter flow configurations," Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, vol. 49, pp. 617-627, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2005.08.019 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2005.08.019
Hasan, A., "Going below the wet-bulb temperature by indirect evaporative cooling: Analysis using a modified
$\epsilon$-NTU method," Appl. Energy, vol. 89, pp. 237-245, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2011.07.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2011.07.005
- Cui, X., Chua, K. J., Islam, M. R. and Yang, W. M., "Fundamental formulation of a modified LMTD method to study indirect evaporative heat exchangers," Energy Conservation Management, vol. 88, pp. 372-381, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2014.08.056 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2014.08.056
- Chen, Y., Yang, H. and Luo, Y., "Indirect evaporative cooler considering condensation from primary air; Model development and parameter anaysis," Build. Env., vol. 95, pp. 330-345, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2015.09.030 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2015.09.030
- Tejero-Gonzalez, A., Andres-Chicote, M., Velasco -Gomez, E. and Rey-Martinez, F. J., "Influence of constructive parameters on the performance of two indirect evaporative cooler prototypes," Appl. Therm. Eng., vol, 51, pp. 1017-1025, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2012.10.054 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2012.10.054
- Riangvilaikul, B. and Kumar, S., "An experimental study of a novel dew point evaporative cooling system," Energy Build., vol. 42, pp. 637-644, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2010.07.020 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2009.10.034
- Zhao, X., Liu, S. and Riffat, S. B., "Comparative study of heat and mass exchanging materials for indirect evaporative cooling systems," Build. Environ., vol. 43, no. 11, pp. 1902-1911, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2007.11.009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2007.11.009
- Kim, N.-H., "Performance comparison between indirect evaporative coolers made of aluminum, plastic or plastic/paper," J. Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 8165-8175, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8165 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8165
- KS M 896, Paper and Plate - Measuremint of Water Absorption Rate in Water, 2013.
- ASHRAE Standard 41.1, Standard Method for Temperature Measurement, ASHRAE, 1986.
- ASHRAE Standard 41.2, Standard Method for Laboratory Air-Flow Measurement, ASHRAE, 1987.
- KS C 9306, Air Conditioner, Korean Standard Association, 2010.
- ASHRAE Standard 143, Method of Test for Rating Indirect Evaporative Coolers, ASHRAE, 2007.
- Klein S. J. and McClintock, F. A., "The description of uncertainties in a single sample experiments," Mech. Eng, vol. 75, pp. 3-9, 1953.
- Stevens, R. A., Fernandez, J. and Woolf, J. R., "Mean temperature difference in one, two and three-pass cross flow heat exchangers," Trans. ASME, vol. 79, pp. 287-297, 1957.
- Kays, W. M. and London, A. L., Compact Heat Exchangers, McGraw-Hill Pub., 1984.
- Personal communication with Samhwa Ace Co., 2016.