- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Study on Structural Factors of Agricultural Product Brand Equity Utilizing Major Brand by Item
품목별 주요 브랜드를 활용한 농산물 브랜드자산의 구성요인에 관한 연구
- Choi, Don-Woo (Gyeongsangbuk-do Agricultural Research & Extension Services) ;
- Kim, Tae-Kyun (Dept. of Agricultural Economics, Kyungpook National Univ.) ;
- Lin, Qing-Long (Dept. of Agricultural and Forestry Economic Management, Yanbian Univ.)
- Received : 2016.08.08
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
In order to present a realistic alternative to agricultural product brands which achieve quantitative growth but minimal qualitative growth, this study attempted to identify the structural factors that affect the agricultural product brand equity and quantitatively analyze the effects of the structural factors on the brand equity. For the quantitative analysis, a survey was conducted among customers with a structured questionnaire. The major results of the analysis are as follows. First, the structural factors of the agriculture product brand equity were theoretically reviewed through many preceding studies in regard to the brand and brand equity. Awareness, quality and loyalty were selected as the structural factors of the agriculture brand equity. Second, when the sub-structural factors of the agriculture product brand equity were analyzed, it was found that awareness includes familiarity, first reminding level, general awareness, sub-awareness, frequency of reference and level of people's logo recollection. Quality includes quality consistence, quality reliability, quality stability, general quality and quality for price. Loyalty includes recommendation, purchase intention, cost premium and repurchase intention. Third, in the analysis of the factors of awareness, quality and loyalty were found to be statistically significant at the 1% level of significance, and it turned out that the higher the awareness, quality and loyalty, the higher the brand equity. Fourth, the factors most influencing the brand equity differed from those obtained using the standardized coefficients. The highest standardized coefficients of the factors on rice and condiment vegetables were those for quality with values of 0.486 and 0.581, respectively, and the highest standardized coefficients of the factors on fruits and fruit vegetables were those for loyalty with values of 0.536 and 0.490, respectively. Finally, it was found to be more effective to develop brand policies using an approach based on awareness, quality and loyalty by item. Also, focusing on enhancing the quality when developing brand policies for rice and vegetables, or focusing on enhancing loyalty when developing brand policies for fruit and vegetables was found to be more efficient using the limited resources.
Agricultural Brand;Awareness;Brand Equity;Quality;Loyalty
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Y.M. Jun, Y.S. Ahn, O.S. An, M.H. Kim, "Brand Development for Rural Specialty Products - A Case Study of Bokbunja Drink in MuJu," The Korean Journal of Community Living Science, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 655-670, 2007.
- I.S. Shin, "A Study on the Package Design as Special Products of a Region - Focused on Dried Seafoods," Journal of Korean Society of Design Science, vol. 20, pp. 219-229, 1997.
- D.J. Park, H.H. Shin, S.G. Woo, "A Study on Improving Packaging Design for Farm. Specialty Purchase Satisfaction," Journal of the Korean Society of Rural Planning, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 157-164, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7851/ksrp.2014.20.4.157 https://doi.org/10.7851/ksrp.2014.20.4.157
- H.S. Chae, H.R. Jin, O.S. Ahn, 2012, "Improvement by Survey Analysis on the Package Design for Agricultural Products of Farm Stay" Journal of the Korean Society of Rural Planning, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 141-152, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7851/ksrp.2012.18.4.141 https://doi.org/10.7851/ksrp.2012.18.4.141
- Korea Agro-Fisheries Trade Corporation(aT) and Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, Brand Present Condition of Agricultural and Marine Products, 2011.
- Korea Small Business Institute, The Co-branding Project Activating for the SME Market Reclamation Products, 2004.
- D. Aaker, 1991, Managing Brand Equity: Capitalizing on the Value of a Brand Name, The Free Press, New York, 1991
- P.H. Farquhar, "Managing Brand Equity," Marketing Research, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 24-33, 1989.
- C.J. Simon, M.W. Sullivan, "The Measurement and Determinants of Brand Equity: A Financial Approach," Marketing Science, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 28-52, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1287/mksc.12.1.28 https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.12.1.28
- K.L. Keller, "Conceptualizing, Measuring, and Managing Customer-Based Brand Equity," Journal of Marketing, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 1-22, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1252054
- C.H. Shin, "An Empirical Study on Evaluating Corporate Brand Asset Value: Applications of the Brand Asset Evaluator," Journal of Product Research, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 1-21, 2006.
- D.S. Park, M.S. Hwang, "A Study on the Determinants of Local Brand Assets and Local Competitiveness," Journal of Business Research, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 331-362, 2007.
- S.J. Yun, J. Woo, H.S. Park, "Relationship among Marketing Activities, Customer Equity and Brand Equity," Korean Journal of Business Administration, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 1-24, 2006.
- T.W., Chung, "An Analysis on Brand Power Index of Incheon International Airport," The Journal of Shipping and Logistics, vol. 76, pp. 105-121, 2013
- Y.D. Kwon, "The Value of National and Local Brand Equity Assets and Brand Management of Rice, Apple and Beef," Journal of Industrial Economics and Business, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 1891-1909, 2009.
- S.H. Park, W.B. Kim, "Measurement of Brand Equity for Agricultural Products: Cases of Rice, Beef and Peach in Korea," Korean Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 1-29, 2009.
- D.W. Choi, W.H. An, Q.L. Lin, 2015, "A Study on the Developement of Evaluation Indicator for Brand Self-diagnosis of Agricultural Management Organizations," Journal of Agricultural Extension & Community Development, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 385-393, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12653/jecd.2015.22.4.0385 https://doi.org/10.12653/jecd.2015.22.4.0385
- S.A. Neslin, R.W. Shoemaker, "Using a Natural Experiment to Estimate Price Elasticity: the 1974 Sugar Shortage and the Ready-to-Eat Cereal Market," Journal of Marketing, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 44-57, 1983. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/3203426
- R.K. Srivastava, A.D. Shocker, Brand Equity: A Perspective on Its Meaning and Measurement, Marketing Science Institute, 1991.
- C.J. Cobb-Walgren, C.A. Ruble, N. Donthu, "Brand Equity, Brand Preference, and Purchase Intention," Journal of Advertising, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 25-40, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00913367.1995.10673481 https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.1995.10673481
- S.M. Broniardzyk, J.W. Alba, "The Importance of the Brand in Brand Extension, Journal of Marketing Research, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 214-228, 1994. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/3152195 https://doi.org/10.2307/3152195
- D.J. Mun, "A Study of Brand Equity & Performance Diagnosis Model," Journal of Global Scholars of Marketing Science, vol. 9, pp. 77-99, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/12297119.2002.9707310 https://doi.org/10.1080/12297119.2002.9707310
- V.A. Zeithaml, "Consumer Perceptions of Price, Quality, and Value: A Mean-End Model and Synthesis of the Evidence," Journal of Marketing, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 2-22, 1988. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1251446 https://doi.org/10.2307/1251446
- R.L. Oliver, Satisfaction: A Behavioral Perspective on the Consumer, New York:McGraw-Hill, 1997.