- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Research Trends in Fintech using Topic Modeling
토픽 모델링을 이용한 핀테크 기술 동향 분석
- Kim, TaeKyung (Department of Industrial and Management Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Choi, HoeRyeon (Department of Industrial and Management Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Lee, HongChul (Department of Industrial and Management Engineering, Korea University)
- Received : 2016.10.21
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
Recently, based on Internet and mobile environments, the Fintech industry that fuses finance and IT together has been rapidly growing and Fintech services armed with simplicity and convenience have been leading the conversion of all financial services into online and mobile services. However, despite the rapid growth of the Fintech industry, few studies have classified Fintech technologies into detailed technologies, analyzed the technology development trends of major market countries, and supported technology planning. In this respect, using Fintech technological data in the form of unstructured data, the present study extracts and defines detailed Fintech technologies through the topic modeling technique. Thereafter, hot and cold topics of the derived detailed Fintech technologies are identified to determine the trend of Fintech technologies. In addition, the trends of technology development in the USA, South Korea, and China, which are major market countries for major Fintech industrial technologies, are analyzed. Finally, through the analyses of networks between detailed Fintech technologies, linkages between the technologies are examined. The trends of Fintech industrial technologies identified in the present study are expected to be effectively utilized for the establishment of policies in the area of the Fintech industry and Fintech related enterprises' establishment of technology strategies.
Big Data;Fintech;Patent analysis;Text mining;Topic modeling
Grant : BK21플러스
Supported by : 고려대학교
- S. J. Im, "Security Trend on fintech," TTA Journal, vol. 158, pp. 72-79, 2015.
- S. H. Seo, "Fintech trend analysis using topic modeling of BM patents," Graduate School of Seoul National University of Science and Technology, 2016.
- Korea Electronics Association Patent Assistance Center, FinTech Patent Analysis Report, 2015, http://www.ipac.kr/Biz/PaReportView.aspx?kind=pa&SEQ=568. (accessed Sep. 10, 2016)
- CB Insights, The Periodic Table of FinTech, 2014, http://www.cbinsights.com/blog/fin-tech-periodic-table/2014. (accessed Sep. 10, 2016)
- K. H. Park, "Analysis on the Characteristics of Knowledge Flows In Korea Using U.S. Patent Data," Korea Institute of Intellectual Property, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 66-93, 2006.
- B. P. Abraham, S. D. Moitra, "Innovation assessment through patent analysis," Technovation, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 245-252, 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0166-4972(00)00040-7 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0166-4972(00)00040-7
- B. G. Jeong, J. W. Kim, J. H. Yun, "Patent-based competitive intelligence analysis of augmented reality technology : Application of topic modeling," The Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers, vol. 2015, no. 11, pp. 2265-2270, 2015.
- B. G. Yoon, Y. T. Park, "A text-mining-based patent network: Analytical tool for high-technology trend" The Journal of High Technology Management Research vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 37-50, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hitech.2003.09.003
- H. S. Park, K. S. Kim, S. C. Choi, J. H. Yoon, "A patent intelligence system for strategic technology planning," Expert Systems with Applications vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 2373-2390, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2012.10.073 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2012.10.073
- A. Abbas, L. Zhang, S. U. Khan, "A literature review on the state-of-the-art in patent analysis," World Patent Information, vol. 37, pp. 3-13, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wpi.2013.12.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wpi.2013.12.006
- Y. J. Jeong, B. G. Yoon, "Technology Planning through Technology Roadmap: Application of Patent Citation Network," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 5227-5237, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.11.5227 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.11.5227
- K. S. Shin, H. R. Choi, H. C. Lee, "Topic Model Analysis of Research Trend on Renewable Energy," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 6411-6418, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.9.6411 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.9.6411
- H. J. Min, "Bigdata trend diversified analysis using Topic modeling," Graduate School of Seoul National University of Science and Technology, 2015.
- T. L. Griffiths, M. Steyvers, "Finding scientific topics," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 5228-5235, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0307752101 https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0307752101
- S. M. Gerrish, D. M. Blei, "A Language-based Approach to Measuring Scholarly Impact," MACHINE LEARNING -INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP THEN CONFERENCE-, vol. 27, pp. 375-382, 2010.
- M. Song, S. Y. Kim, "Detecting the knowledge structure of bioinformatics by mining full-text collections," Scientometrics, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 183-201, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-012-0900-9 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-012-0900-9
- D. M. Blei, "Probabilistic topic models," Communications of the ACM, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 77-84, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/2133806.2133826 https://doi.org/10.1145/2133806.2133826
- J. H. Park, M. Song, "A Study on the Research Trends in Library & Information Science in Korea using Topic Modeling," Journal of the Korean Society for Information Management, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 7-32, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3743/kosim.2013.30.1.007
- D. M. Blei, A. Y. Ng, M. I. Jordan, "Latent dirichlet allocation," the Journal of machine Learning research, vol. 3, pp. 993-1022, 2003.
- S. K. Kim, "A Study on the Research Trends in Domestic Industrial Engineering using Topic Modeling," Graduate School of Seoul National University of Science and Technology, 2016.
- L. C. Freeman, "Centrality in social networks conceptual clarification," Social networks, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 215-239, 1979. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-8733(78)90021-7
- M. H. Heo, "Introduction to social network analysis using R," freeaca, pp. 115-120, 2012
- B. Grun and K. Hornik., "Topicmodels: An R package for fitting topic models" Journal of Statistical Software, vol. 40, no. 13, pp. 1-30, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18637/jss.v040.i13
- G. J. Kim, "A Study on Development of a Technology Forecasting System using Topic-Based Patent Analysis," Graduate School of Korea University, 2015.
- EUGENE INVESTMENT CO., LTD, 2015, https://www.eugenefn.com/common/files/amail/20150127_B40_seoboick_334.pdf. (accessed Sep. 10, 2016)
- G. S. Baek, "Excavating research areas of FinTech through the analysis of its relevant technologies and policy trends at home and abroad," KISA, 2016.