- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
A Comparison of First Time and Repeat Visitors' Tourism Destination -Focusing on Seoul City
최초방문자와 재방문자의 관광목적지 선택차이 연구 -서울지역을 중심으로
- Kim, Min-Sun (Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management, Graduate School of Sejong University, School of Tourism and Distribution Management, Hyupsung University) ;
- Um, Hyemi (Division of Secretarial Office Management, Bucheon University)
- Received : 2016.10.05
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
This paper investigates differences of tourism destination choices for sightseeing in Seoul between first-time visitors and repeat visitors. We constructed social network using secondary data from '2015 International Visitor Survey' and analyzed its density and centrality. Study results find that: (1) first-time and repeat visitors' tourism destinations are concentrated in areas located north of the Han river. The proximity of destinations suggests the positive effects resulting from the movement network. (2) As the result of degree centrality, closeness centrality, betweenness centrality, the highest ranking tourism destinations for both visitor groups are identical, but indexes of centralities in repeat visitors' destinations increase, including Shinchon/ Hongik University, Gangnam station, and Garosu-gil. Therefore, the roles of these destinations are becoming established as tourism hubs and are popular among younger visitors as well as attract repeat visitors. Results of this study will be a useful reference in developing and managing new tourism products.
First time visitor;Repeat visitor;Social network analysis;Degree centrality;Closeness centrality;Betweenness centrality
- B. Mckercher, D. Y. Y. Wong, "Understanding Tourism Behavior: Examining the Combined Effects of Prior visitation History and Destination Status", Journal of Travel Research, 43(2), pp. 171-179, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287504268246 https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287504268246
- B. McKercher, N. Shoval, E. Ng, A. Birenboim, "First and Repeat Visitor Behaviour: GPS Tracking and GIS Analysis in Hong Kong", Tourism Geographies, 14(1), pp. 147-161, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/14616688.2011.598542 https://doi.org/10.1080/14616688.2011.598542
- D. H. Park, G. Lee, "A Social Network Analysis of Tourism Destinations in Package Tourism Products", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 15(3), pp. 1414-1423, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.3.1414
- D. W. Son, Social Network Analysis, Kyungmoonsa, 2002.
- J. Kho, K. Cho, Y. Cho, "A Study on Recent Research Trend in Management of Technology Using Keywords Network Analysis", Bibliographic Info: J Intell Inform Syst, Vol.19, No.2. pp. 101-123, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.13088/jiis.2013.19.2.101
- J. Law, J. Whittaker, "Mapping Acidification Research: A Test of the Coword Method", Scientometrics, 23(3), pp. 41-46, 1992. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02029807
- J. Lee, K. Han, J. Kim, "A Comparative Study on the Motivation & According to Visit Experience of Tourism", Korean Journal of Tourism Research, 28(3), pp. 269-289, 2013.
- Korea Culture and Tourism Institute, 2015 International Visitor Survey, 2016
- L. J. Reid, S. D. Reid, "Communicating Tourism Supplier Services: Building Repeat Visitor Relationships", Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, 2(2/3), pp. 3-19, 1993.
- M. Kozak, Destination Benchmarking, Oxon: CABI Publishing, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1079/9780851997452.0000
- K. J. Yoon, "A Study about marketing strategies and tour motivation of Chinese tourists who visit korea", Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 153-166, Oct. 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2015.10.47 https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2015.10.47
- N. Scott, R. Baggio, C. Cooper, Network Analysis and Tourism: From Theory to Practice, Channel View Publication, 2008.
- E. J. Heo, S. B. Kim, "The Effects of Customer Personality types on Trust, Customer Satisfaction and Revisit Intention", Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 413-421, Jun. 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.06.44
- P. C. Fakeye, J. L. Crompton, "Image differences between prospective, first time and repeat visitors to the Lower Rio Grande Valley", Journal of Travel Research, 30(2), pp. 10-15, 1991. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/004728759103000202 https://doi.org/10.1177/004728759103000202
- P. Fallon, P. Schofield, "First-timer versus repeat visitor satisfaction: the case of Orlando, Florida", Tourism Analysis, 8(2), pp. 205-210, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3727/108354203774076742
- S. Baloglu, "Image Variation of Turkey by Familiarity Index: informational and Experiential Dimensions", Tourism management, 22(2), pp. 127-133, 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-5177(00)00049-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-5177(00)00049-2
- S. Pike, Destination Marketing: An Integrated Marketing Communication Approach, NY: Elsevier, 2008.
- T. Bornhost, J. R. B. Ritchie, L. Sheehan, "Determinants of Tourism Sucess for DMOs & Destinations: An Empirical Examination of Stakehoders' Perspectives", Tourism Management, 30(1), pp. 1-18, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2008.10.012
- V. Zabkar, M. M. Brencic, T. Dmitrovic, "Modeling Perceived Quality, Visitor Satisfaction and Behavioural Intentions at the Destination Level", Tourism Management, 31(4), pp. 537-546, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2009.06.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2009.06.005
- X. Li, "A Systematic Comparison of First-time and Repeat Visitors via a Two-phrase Online Survey", Tourism Management, 29(2), pp. 278-293, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2007.03.010 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2007.03.010
- Y. B. Kwon, S. D. Lee, H. Yang, Y. H. Joo, "The Analysis of the Conference for the Computer Network Using the Miner and the Cosine Similarity based upon Key words", Journal of Information Technology Services, 11(1), pp. 223-238, 2012.
- Y. H. Kim, The Analysis of Social Network, Seoul: Pakyoungsa, 2011.
- Y. S. Youn, S. B. Chae, Introduction to Complex System, Samsung Economic Research Institute, 2007.