- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Symptom Experiences, Sleep Quality and Quality of Life for Patients with Asthma
천식환자의 증상경험, 수면의 질 및 삶의 질에 관한 연구
- Chung, Mi-Ha (College of Nursing, Ewha Womans University Seoul National University Hospital) ;
- Park, Hyojung (College of Nursing, Ewha Womans University)
- Received : 2016.08.05
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
The purpose of this study was to examine symptom experiences, sleep quality, and quality of life in asthma patients and investigate any correlation among these factors. The study was conducted on 146 asthma patients that visited the Internal Medicine Department of Allergies at a hospital in Korea from March to June, 2015. Tools that were originally developed by Oh (1999) were used to measure the symptom experience of asthma patients. Sleep quality was measured using the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI) while quality of life was measured by the Short Form 36-Items Heath Survey (SF-36). The dates were analyzed by t-test, ANOVA, Scheffe test, and Pearson's correlation coefficient using the SPSS 20.0 program. Symptom experiences of asthma patients showed a positive relation with sleep quality (r=.468, p<.001) and negative relationship with quality of life; PCS (r=-495, p<.001) and MCS (r=-.411, p<.001). The symptom experiences of an asthma patient along with sleep quality and quality of life turned out to be correlated. Therefore, this study is expected to be utilized as a basis for the development of assessment tools and arbitration programs to elucidate symptom experiences of asthma patients from various aspects and enhance their sleep quality and quality of life.
status asthmaticus;quality of life;sleep;sign and symptom
- Y. S. Jang, H. D. Kim, H. E. Jung, "Correlations among the sleep, fatigue and quality of life in patients with stroke", Journal of the Korean Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 14(12), pp. 6302-6308, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.12.6302 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.12.6302
- E. Y. Yang, Y. A. Kim, "Burden and quality of life in terminal cancer patient's family caregivers in the area of Jeollanam-do", Journal of the Korean Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 16(6), pp. 3954-3962, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.6.3954 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.6.3954
- J. Y. Kim, "Factors influencing health-related quality of life in patients with coronary artery bypass graft", Journal of the Korean Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 17(5), pp. 164-172, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.5.164
- J. O. Jang, J. H. Lim, "Construction of a structural model about the perceived health status, pain, sleep pattern and quality of life in the elderly" Journal of the Korean Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 15(7), pp. 4336-4345, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4336 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4336
- Y. M. Jun, S. Y. Park, "Quality of life and influencing factors related to the health in hmodialysis patients", Journal of the Korean Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 16(7), pp. 4816-4827, 2015. DOI : http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.7.4816 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.7.4816
- W. J. Kim, H. S. Bae, B. K. Choi, J. M. Hwang, K. H. Shin, M. H. Kim, K. Lee, K. U. Kim, D. S. Jeon, H. K. Park, Y. S. Kim, M. K. Lee, S. K. Park, "Depressive conditions in relation to asthma severity and control", Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases, 69(4),pp. 265-270, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4046/trd.2010.69.4.265 https://doi.org/10.4046/trd.2010.69.4.265
- M. N. Kim, W. K. Lee, J. Y. Park, "The ecological analysis of asthmatic occurrence in patients: using the national health insurance data", Journal of the Korean Data and Information Science Society, 24(4), pp. 679-688, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2013.24.4.679 https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2013.24.4.679
- A. Yamasaki, Y. Kawasaki, K. Takeda, T. Harada, T. Fukushima, M. Takata, K. Hashimoto, M. Watanabe, J. Kurai, K. Nishimura, E. Shimizu, "The relationship among sleep efficiency, pulmonary factions, and quality of life in patients with asthma", International Journal of General Medicine, 7, pp. 505-512, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2147/ijgm.s72713
- The Korean academy of asthma, allergy and clinical immunology, Asthma and Allergic Diseases. Korea: Ryo Moon Gak publishing company, 2012.
- R. A. Nathan, E. O. Meltzer, M. S. Blaiss, K. R. Murphy, D. E. Doherty, S. W. Stoloff, "Comparison of the asthma in America and asthma insight and management surveys: did asthma burden and care improve in the United States between 1998 and 2009?", Allergy and Asthma Proceedings, 33(1), pp. 65-76, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2500/aap.2011.32.3521 https://doi.org/10.2500/aap.2011.32.3521
- F. S. Luyster, M. Teodorescu, E. Bleecker, W. Busse, W. Calhoun, M. Castro, "Sleep quality and asthma control and quality of life in non-severe and severe asthma", Sleep Breath, 16(4), pp. 1129-1137, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11325-011-0616-8 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11325-011-0616-8
- E. S. Molzon, M. S. Bonner, S. E. Hullmann, R. R. Ramesy, K. I. Suorsa, J. M. Chandy, L. Mullins, "Differences in sleep quality and health-related quality of life in young adults with allergies and asthma and their healthy peers", Journal of American College Health, 61(8), pp. 484-489, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07448481.2013.838566 https://doi.org/10.1080/07448481.2013.838566
- E. Hayat, S. Borekci, B. Gemicioglu, "Reflux, allergic rhinitis, and sleep disorders with asthma control and quality of life", Journal of Clinical and Analytical Medicine, 5(6), pp. 453-456, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4328/jcam.1478
- A. Christian, P. Priya, B. Alpaslan, S. Helen, " Measurement properties of asthma-specific quality-of-life measures: protocol for a systematic review", Systematic Reviews Journal, 3, pp. 83-89, 2014. DOI: https://10.1186/2046-4053-3-8310.1186/2046-4053-3-83 https://doi.org/10.1186/2046-4053-3-83
- Global Initiative for Asthma. 2014 Global strategy for asthma management and prevention. Available from: http://www.ginasthma.org.
- R. H. Dougherty, J. V. Fahy, "Acute exacerbations of asthma: epidemiology, biology and the exacerbation-prone phenotype", Narrational Institute of Heath Public Access Author Manuscript, 39(2), pp. 193-202, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2222.2008.03157.x
- E. G. Oh, "Symptom experiences and quality of life in people with asthma", The Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, 11(4), pp. 694-705, 1999.
- M. Muraki, H. Ichihashi, R. Haraguchi, T. Iwanaga, H. Kubo, Y. Tohda, "Comparison of the asthma health questionnaire-33-Japan and the short-form 36-item health survey for measuring quality of life in Japanese patients with asthma", 57(4), pp. 339-346, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2332/allergolint.O-07-516 https://doi.org/10.2332/allergolint.O-07-516
- U. C. Kim, C. S. Hong, J. G. Lee, Y. S. Park, "Factors influencing health and quality of Life among allergy and asthma patients: With specific focus on self-efficacy, social support and health management", Korean Psychological Association, 11(2), pp. 143-189, 2005.
- D. J. Buysse, C. F. Reynolds, T. H. Monk, S. R. Berman, D. J. Kupfer, "The Pittsburgh sleep quality index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research", Psychiatry Research, 28(2), pp. 193-213, 1989. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0165-1781(89)90047-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-1781(89)90047-4
- H. J. Choi, S. J. Kim, B. J. Kim, I. J. Kim, "Korean versions of self-reported sleep questionnaires for research and practice on sleep disturbance", The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing, 15(1), pp. 1-10, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2012.1 https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2012.1
- J. E. Ware, "SF-36 health survey update", Spine, 25(24), pp. 3130-3139, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200012150-00008 https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200012150-00008
- M. Voll-Aanerud, T. M. Eagan, E. Plana, E. R. Omenaas, P. S. Bakke, C. Svanes, V. Siroux, I. Pin, J. M. Anto, B. Leynaert, " Respiratory symptoms in adult are related to impaired quality of life, regardless of asthma and COPD: results from the european community respiratory health survey", Health and Quality of Life, 8(1), pp. 107-114, 2010. DOI:. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-8-107 https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-8-107
- B. D. Stucky, C. D. Sherbourne, M. O. Edelen, N. K. Eberhart, "Understanding asthma-specific quality of life: moving beyond asthma symptoms and severity", Asthma, 46(3), pp. 680-687, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1183/09031936.00225014
- C. B. Kim, M. K. Han, B. Y. Jeong, K. Y. Choi, M. Y. Kim, "A meta-analysis of intervention studies on the effects of self management and education in adult asthmatic patients", The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, 9(3), pp. 175-185, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2015.9.3.175 https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2015.9.3.175
- J. K. Jang, H. S. Kim, H. S. Sohn, C. M. Park, J. S. Kin, B. Y. Jung, E. Ji, J. H. Cho, H. T. Shinet, "Drug prescribing patterns for the treatment of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in Korea", Korean College of Clinical Pharmacy, 24(1), pp. 26-32, 2014.
- H. A. Lee, J. H. Park, B. Kwon, G. S. Choi, Y. M. Ye, H. S. Park, D. H. Nam, " Analysis of airway epithelial cell autoantigens recognized by IgG autoantibodies from patients with severe asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease", Journal of Asthma. Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 29(4), pp. 249-55, 2009.
- S. M. Chae, C. Y. Kim, S. K. Ko, "Impact of socio-economic status on equity in health care utilization: cases of asthma patients", Korean Association of Health and Medical Sociology, 22, pp. 183-203, 2007.
- M. Doz, C. Chouaid, L. Com-Ruelle, E. Calvo, M. Brosa, J. Robert, L. Decuypere, C. Pribil, A. Huerta, B. Detournay, "The association between asthma control, health care cost, and quality of life in France and Spain", Pulmonary Medicine, 13(1), pp. 15-24, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2466-13-15 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2466-13-15
- F. Sundboom, E. Lindberg, A. Bjerg, B. Forsberg, K. Franklin, M. Gunnbjornsdottir, R. Middleveld, K. Toren, C. Janson, "Asthma symptoms and nasal congestion as independent risk factors for insomnia in a general population: results form GA(2)LEN survey", Allergy. 68(2), pp. 213-219, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/all.12079
- H. K. Wajahat, M. Vahid, M. D. Caroly, "Sleep in asthma. Clinical Chest Medicine", 35(32), pp. 483-493, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ccm.2014.06.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ccm.2014.06.004
- J. L. Simpson, K. J. Baines, N. Ryan, P. G. Gibson, "Neutrophilic asthma is characterized by increased rhinosinusitis with sleep disturbance and GERD", Asian Pacific Journal of Allergy Immunology, 32(1), pp. 66-74, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12932/ap0318.104.22.1684
- C. Y. Kim, H. W. Park, S. K. Ko, S. I. Chang, H. B. Moon, Y. Y. Kim, Y. Y. Kim, S. H. Cho, "The financial burden of asthma: a nationwide comprehensive survey conducted in the republic of Korea", Allergy Asthma Immunology Research, 3(1), pp. 34-38, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4168/aair.2011.3.1.34 https://doi.org/10.4168/aair.2011.3.1.34