- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Educational needs analysis for key vocational competency in nursing students
직업기초능력에 대한 간호대학생의 교육요구도 분석
- Hwang, Young Hui (Department of Nursing, Yeoju Institute of Technology) ;
- Park, Sun-Jung (Department of Nursing, Yeoju Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2016.09.30
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
This study was conducted to identify and analyze the educational needs for key vocational competency in nursing students. The participants were 411 nurse students at five universities and the survey was conducted from June 1 to June 31, 2016. The data were analyzed with SPSS WIN 23.0 using descriptive statistics, a paired T-test, Borich's Needs Analysis, as well as the Locus for Focus Model. Based on the results, the subjects recognized the present level of 'professional ethics,' 'self development' and 'interpersonal skills' to be high and those of 'communication skills' and 'skills for understanding groups' to be low. 'Professional ethics,' 'self development,' 'problem solving skills' and 'communication skills' were the most important sub-elements of vocational competency. A significant difference in recognition levels between present and importance ere found in all components of vocational competency. The four priorities were analyzed based on Borich's needs value. In accordance with the Locus for Focus model, 'communication skills,' 'problem solving,' 'resource management skills' and 'self development' were identified as the highest priority sub-factors of vocational competency to nursing students. Based on the result of this study, it is expected to be used as the basic data to develop the nursing student's vocational curriculum and program.
Education Needs Assessment;Nursing Student;Vocational education
Supported by : 여주대학교
- Human Resources Development Service of Korea. National Competency Standards[Internet]. Ulsan: Human Resources Development Service of Korea, c2016[cited 2016 March 4], Available: http://www.ncs.go.kr (accessed Mar. 4, 2016)
- Washer, P, "Revisiting Key Skills: A Practical Framework for Higher Education," Quality in Higher Education, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 57-67, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/13538320701272755 https://doi.org/10.1080/13538320701272755
- I, J, Ju, J. Y. Jo, G. B. Im, "National Competency Standards, Business Issues and Policy," the HRD review, Autumn. 2010.
- H. J. Jeong, "Development of Cultural Contents Vocational Course on the Basis of NCS," Journal of Communication Design, vol. 53, pp. 191-201, 2015.
- H. E. Lee, "The Needs Analysis of National Competency Standard Key Competencies : Centering on Comparison of Perception Between HR Practitioners and College Students," Unpublished master's thesis, Korea University of Technology and Education, Cheonan, 2015.
- C. Y. Jeong, "A Study on the Analysis of the Linkage between Key Competencies and National Core Curriculum," Korea Vocational Education Society, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 21-37, 1998.
- M. S. Han, J. Y. Lee, "The Relation between Dental Technician's Social Support and Individual Competency," Journal of Korea Academia- Industrial Cooperation Society, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 4449-4456, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4449 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4449
- W. S. An, Y. M. Lee, W, S, Cho, "Study on Degree of the Educational Need for the Key Competencies of Technical High School Students Perceived by Teacher," Korea Studies of the Technology Education, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 31-47, 2007.
- S. H. Woo, K, H, Lim, S, G, OH, J, S, Kim. Key Competencies Level of Students Recognized by Specialized Subjects Teachers in Industrial High School," The Journal of Vocational Education Research, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 69-98, 2005.
- S, Y, Gwon, M. S. Kim. Y. S. Han, "The Effects of Self-Leadership on Basic Occupational Competencies and Life Satisfaction among College Students: the Mediating Influence of Self-efficacy," Korea Psychological Society symposium, pp. 140-141, 2009.
- M. R. Lee, I. G. Yun, "Content Analysis of Secondary Technology, Home Economics(Home Economics Field) Textbooks: Focusing on Education for Key Competencies Needed for the Workforce." The Journal OF Vocational Edecation Research., vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 65-88, 2008.
- M. B. Kim, Y. B. Kim, Y. S. Kim, "Computer Education Curriculum and Instruction : Effects of Project Learning on Information Skills among Key-Competencies in "Homepage Development" Lesson," International Society for the Computer Learning Paper, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 31-40, 2007.
- I. S. Kim, "The Effect of the Problem-based Learning in the Practical Skill Instruction of the Heat Treatment and the Tensile Strength Test to Improve the Key Competencies," The Journal of Korean Institute of Industrial Education, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 1-32, 2007.
- S. Y. Kim, H. J. Yoo, "Development and Validation of the Essential Competency Assessment of Vocation for Local College Students," The Journal of Lifelong Education and HRD, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 71-100, 2013.
- F, Faul, E, Erdfelder, A, Buchner, A. G. Lang, "Statistical Power Analyses Using G*Power 3.1: Tests for Correlation and Regression Analyses," Behavior Research Methods, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 1149-1160, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149 https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- J. M. Baik, Y. K. Park, "An Exploring Study on the Possibility of Utilizing the NCS(national competency standard) for University Education," Journal of Employment and Career, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 1-19, 2012.
- A. N. Kim, B. S. Rhee, "An Analytic Study of Identifying Personal and Institutional Influences on the Perceived Development of Core Competencies of College Students." The Journal of Korean Education, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 367-392, 2003.
- P, G. Baek, "A Study on the Relationships and Characteristics between Korean Collegiate Essential Skills and Undergraduates' Individual Variant Factors," Korean Journal of General Education, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 349-387, 2013.
- J. I. Lee, J. H. Kim, "A Study on the Relationship between College Students' Essential Skills and Academic Achievement," The Journal of Vocational Education Research, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 227-246, 2012.
- J. P. Lee, "A Comparative Analysis on Good Practices for Developing Basic Workplace Skills for University Students in Selected Countries," Korean Journal of Comparative Education, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 171-195, 2005.
- M. S. Jin, Y. M. Sohn, H. J. Chu, "A Study on Development Plan of K-CESA for College Education Assessment," The Journal of Educational Administration, vol. 29, No4, pp. 461-468, 2011.
- S. N. Kim, Y. S. Kwon, J. S. Shin, "A Study for Promoting key Competencies of College Students. Korean Corporation Management Review," vol. 42, pp. 57-77, 2012.
- S. H. Kim, "A Study on Improvement of Education for Workplace Key Competence in Tourism and Culinary System Students," Unpublished doctoral dissertation Anyang University. Gyeonggi. 2007.