- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
A research on the Relationship between the Socio-economic Factors of the Regions and Suicidal Ideation of the Elderly -By utilizing the multi-level analyses-
지역의 사회·경제적 요인과 노인의 자살생각 간의 관련성 연구 -다수준 분석을 활용하여-
- Choi, Kwang-Soo (Department Of Health Service Management, Woosuk University)
- 최광수 (우석대학교 보건의료경영학과)
- Received : 2016.08.31
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
This research empirically analyzes, from an ecological perspective, whether socio-economic factors of the regions in which the elderly live have any actual influence on thoughts of suicide on the part of the elderly. Microscopic data either included outliers in part of the variables, including income and other variables of that type, from among source data from investigations into actual conditions of the elderly in 2014. Regarding macroscopic data, the indices that represent social and economic situations in each region, which were provided by KOSIS, were selected. Regarding the method of analysis, hierarchical or multi-level analysis models were applied by considering special hierarchical characteristics and heterogeneity at the personal and regional levels. The analyses showed that the following had statistically significant influences: 1. the cost-of-living index and the national basic supply and demand rate of the region; 2. the extent of natural disaster damage; and 3. the number of leisure and welfare facilities for the elderly, compared to the elderly population. Based on the results, proposals are made for systematic and practical endeavors in the community.
Ecological Perspective;Multi-level Analysis;Socio-economic Factor;The Elderly suicidal Ideation
- Jahn, D. R., Cukrowicz, K. C., Linton, K., Prabhu, F., The Mediating Effect of Perceived Burdensomeness on the Relation between Depressive Symptoms and Suicide Ideation in a Community Sample of Older Adults, Agingand Mental Health, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 214-220, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2010.501064 https://doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2010.501064
- C. Y. Koo, J, S, Kim, J, O, Yu, A Study on Factors Influencing Elders' Suicidal Ideation: Focused on Comparison of Gender Differences, J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 24-32, March 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2014.25.1.24 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2014.25.1.24
- Y. H. Noh, S. Y. Lee, Policy Issues and Directions for a Rapid Increase in Suicides in Korea, Health and Welfare Policy Forum, vol. 200, pp. 7-18, 2013.
- J. S. Park, J. C. Lee, G. H. Kim, J. W. Moon, A Study on the Relating Factors Affecting the Suicide Instinct of the Elderly Aged 65 or Older, Health and Social Science, vol. 26, pp. 115-136, 2009.
- S. S. Shin, The Study on Individual and Regional Effects on Suicidal Ideation, Department of Public Health The Graduate School Seoul National University, 2013.
- H. S. Yoon, A Study of Factors that Influence Contemplation of Suicide by the Elderly, Master's Thesis Chungnam National University, 2010.
- S. C. Lee, Socio-economic Factors of Elderly Suicide, Korean Social Security Studies, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 1-19, 2010.
- Salvatore, T., Suicide Prevention for Behavioral Health Providers, Maryland: Montgomery Country Emergency Service, Inc., 4, 2009.
- Y. J. Kim, M. Y. Im, A Study on Relationship between Elder Abuse and Suicide Risk, The Korean Society of Community Living Science, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 351-364, 2010.
- I. K. Seo, Y, S, Lee, Mediated Effects of Depression on the Relationship between Community Environment and Suicidal Ideation: A Comparative Study on the Elderly People Who Live Alone and Those Who Do Not, Korean Journal of Gerontological Social Welfare, vol. 69, pp. 383-415, September 2015.
- S. C. Lee, Socio-economic Factors of Elderly Suicide, Korean Social Security Studies, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 1-19, nov. 2010.
- H. S. Kim, B. S. Kim, A Path Analysis for Suicidal Ideation of the Elderly, Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 801-818, 2007.
- L. K. Kwon, Trend Analysis of Korean Elderly Suicide Ration and Socio-economic Factors, Master's Thesis Hoseo University, 2011.
- H. S. Kim, The Elderly and Deviant Behavior (Suicide), Journal of Welfare for the Aged Institute, vol. 10, pp. 25-45, 2000.
- Wang, A. G., Mottensen, G., Core Features of Attempted Suicide: A Long-term Follow-up after Suicide Attempts in a Low-suicide-incidence Population, Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 103-107, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00127-005-0980-4 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00127-005-0980-4
- Bronfenbrenner, U., The Ecology of Human Development: Experiments by Nature and Design, Cambridge, MA; Harvard University Press, 1979.
- S. Y. Noh, A Study on the Elderly's Suicide Rates Caused Changes in Neighborhood Environment: an Empirical Study of the Leisure Welfare Facilities for the Elderly, Master's Thesis Seoul National University, 2013.
- Krause, N., Herzog, A, R, & Baker, E., Providing Support to Others and Well-being in Late Life, Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences, 47, pp. 300-311, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/47.5.P300
- C. Y. Cho, A Study on the Depression and Social Support Factors that Influence Suicide Ideation among the Elderly from an Ecological Perspective, Korea Care Management Research, vol. 8, pp. 1-21, 2013.
- D. B. Kim, Characteristics of Social Network and Suicidal Ideation: Verifying of Mediation Effect of Depression, Korea Social Welfare Research, vol. 24, pp. 109-129, 2010.
- J. M. Choi, Relationship between Income and Suicidal Ideation in the Elderly, Master's Thesis Chonbuk National University, 2014.
- C. S. O, The Effects of the Elderly's Subjective Health Perceptions and Quality of Life on Their Depression and Suicide Ideation, Korean Journal of Society of Health Service Management, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 179-191, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2012.6.2.179 https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2012.6.2.179
- Y. J. Park, Distributions of Socioeconomic and Health-Related Factors between Regions with High and Regions with Low Suicide Mortality Rates, Master's Thesis, Konyang University, 2014.
- Y. D. Song, J. A. Son, S. M. Park, An analysis of Eco-systematic Factors Influencing Suicidal Ideation of the Elderly, Jornal of the Korean Gerontological Society, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 643-660, 2010.
- Mc Grail, K. M., Doorslaer, E. V., Ross, N. A., Sanmartin, C., Income-related Health Inequalities in Canada and the United States: A Decomposition Analysis, American Journal of Public Health, vol. 99, no. 10, pp. 1856-1863, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2007.129361 https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2007.129361
- Alwang. J., Siegel, P., & Jorgensen, S., Vulnerability: A View from Different Disciplines, Social Protection Discussion Paper Series, 115, pp. 1-42, 2001.
- Glass, T., & Balfour, J. L., Chapter 14: Neighborhoods, Aging, and Functional Limitations, in Neighborhoods and Health Edited by Kawachi, I. & Berkman, I. F. Networks: Oxford University Press, pp. 303-334, 2003.
- Micro Data Source : "2014 The Survey on the Actual Conditions of Older Persion in Korea", https://data.kihasa.re.kr (accessed Aug., 08, 2016)
- Macro Data Source : KOSIS(KOrean Statistical Information Service), http://kosis.kr (accessed Aug., 08, 2016)
- H. K. Lee, C. G. Chang, The Relations of Health-related Quality of Life, Mental Health, and Suicidal Ideation among Korean Elderly, Korean Public Health Research, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 69-79, 2012.
- H. S. Kim, L, K, Kwon, Relationship between Elderly Suicide Rates and Socio-economic Factors in Korea: Centering around the Trend of Changes in 1990-2010, The Korea Contents Society, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 236-245, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.06.236
- Y. J. Kang, Multilevel Analysis of the Relationship between Income Inequality and Health: Using Korean Labor and Income Panel Study Data, Master's Thesis Seoul National University, 2009.
- House of Commons Health Committee, "Health Inequalities", Third Report of Session 2008-09, pp. 1-141, 2009.
- E. J Kang, Factors Related to Suicide Ideation by Age Group, Health and Welfare Policy Forum, vol. 107, pp. 81-86, 2005.
- T. W. Eom, Factors: Focused on the Role of Social Support and Mastery in the Effects of Hopelessness and Depression on Suicidal Ideation, Korean Journal of Social Welfare, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 355-379, 2007. https://doi.org/10.20970/kasw.2007.59.2.014
- Conwell, Y., Suicide in Later Life: A Review and Recommendations for Prevention, Suicide and Life-threatening Behavior, 31, pp. 32-47, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1521/suli.18.104.22.168.24221
- Beck, A.T., Kovacs, M., &Weissman, A., Assessment of Suicidal Intention: The Scale for Suicide Ideation, Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 47, 343-352, 1979. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.47.2.343 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.47.2.343