- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Factors that Influence Tobacco Use in Middle School Student and The Rate of Future Tobacco use
중학생들의 흡연 경험과 미래의 흡연의도에 영향을 미치는 요인
- Hwang, Seong-Ho (Division of Health Science, Baekseok University)
- 황성호 (백석대학교 보건학부)
- Received : 2016.10.14
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
This descriptive investigative study was conducted to evaluate middle school students in the city to understand their experience with tobacco use and the factors that affect the intention for tobacco use in the future, as well as to investigate the relevance between student attitudes towards tobacco use and their understanding of the toxicity of its use. A total of 1,044 middle school students located in C city were surveyed from October 13 to November 27, 2015. The results showed significant differences in age, grade, amount of allowance, absence/presence of friends of the opposite sex, and first experience with tobacco use. Moreover, intentions of tobacco use in the future showed significant differences in age, religion, allowance, rate of satisfaction of the school environment, absence/presence of friends of the opposite sex, and academic grade (p<0.05). Based on the above results, it is necessary to implement a consistent anti-smoking education in the home and school starting in elementary school to reduce the rate of tobacco use in middle school students.
Smoking;Attitudes;Knowledge;Eudcation program;Middle school student
Supported by : 백석대학교
- IARC "Tobacco smoke and involuntary smoking," IARC monographs, 83, Lyon. France, International Agency for Research on Cancer, 2004.
- KHPF(Korea health promotion fundation), Tobacco Control Fact Sheet Seoul, KHPR Publishing, 2015, Available From: https://info.khealth.or.kr/_infoboard/detail.do, (accessed Oct., 3, 2016).
- WHO, WHO Report on the Global Tobacco Epidemic, 2011: Warning About The Dangers of Tobacco, Geneva. Switzerland, World Health Organization, 2011.
- OECD, Health at a Glance 2015: OECD Indicators: OECD Publishing, Paris, 2015, Available From: http://apps.who.int/medicinedocs/documents/s22177en/s22177en.pdf, (accessed Sep., 12, 2016).
- E. Y. Kim, J. W. Wang, J. H. Lee, K. H. Rhim, "Comparison of characteristics of E-cigarette User and Conventional Cigarette Smokers Among Korean High School Students," Korean Public Health Research, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 117-128, 2013.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare of Korea, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention "Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES VI-2)" Seoul, Ministry of Health and Welfare of Korea, 2014.
- Ministry of Education, Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, The Statistics of the 11th Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-Based Survey (KYRBS) in 2015, Seoul. Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2016.
- J. H. Chae, Y. H. Choi, "Influencing Factors on Nicotine Dependency of Smoking in Middle School Students," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 2109-2116, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.3.2109
- Y. R. Yeun, "A Study of Internet Addiction, Depression and Anxiety among Smoking Adolescents," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 5364-5371, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.11.5364
- H. W. Byeon, "Relationship between Cigarette Smoking and Depression Symptoms of High School Students," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 4669-4675, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.10.4669
- E. H. Lee, S. K. Park, K. P. Ko, I. S. Cho, S. H. Chang, H. R. Shin, D. H. Kang, K. Y. Yoo, "Cigarette Smoking and Mortality in the Korean Multi-center Cancer Cohort (KMCC) Study" Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 151-158, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2010.43.2.151. https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2010.43.2.151
- J. Y. Kim, D. E. Lee, " The Influence of Adolescent's Drinking and Smoking on School Violence:Moderating Effect of Parent-Child Interaction, Journal of Youth Welfare, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 53-74. 2010.
- S. W. Park, Youth Non Smoking practice program: Teacher Use, Seoul, Korea Health Promotion Foundation, 2014.
- WHO, Guideline for the Conduct of Tobacco Smoking Surveys of the General Population, Report of a WHO meeting held in Helsinki, Finland, World Health Organization, 1982.
- S. Y. Ryu, Y. S. Park, "Association Between Psychological Factors and Smoking Experience in Middle School Student" J Koeran Soc Matern Child Health, vol. 11, No2, pp. 139-148, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.21896/jksmch.2007.11.2.139. https://doi.org/10.21896/jksmch.2007.11.2.139
- W. K. Kim, " Predictors of Smoking Behavior in Korean Male and Female Youth" Journal of Future Oriented Youth Society, vol. 11, No2, pp. 63-85, 2014.
- K. H. Kim, "A Study of Predictors of Smoking in Middle School Boys," J Korean Acad Funda Nurs, vol. 13, no. 1, pp107-118, 2006.
- S. J. Kim, S. O. Yang, "Knowledge and Attitude about Smoking in Middle School Students," Child Health Nursing Research, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 152-163, 2002.
- K. O. Baek, I. S. Kang, "A Study on the Knowledge and Attitudes toward Smoking among Middle School Students," Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 471-480, 2002.
- J. Chen, & W. Millar, "Age of Smoking Initiation: Implications for Quitting," Health Reports, vol. 9, no. 4, pp39-46. 1998.
- N. Wilson, V. Battistich, L. Syme, T. Boyce, "Does Elementary School Alcohol, Tobacco, and Marijuana Use Increase Middle School Risk?," Journal of Adolescent Health, 30, no. 6, pp. 442-447, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S1054-139X(01)00416-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1054-139X(01)00416-5
- D. S. Kim, S. W. Kang, J. W. Park, "Survey on Smoking for College Students in some Regions," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 1841-1848, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.4.1841
- H. O. Kim, "A Study on the Smoking Related Social Influence, Refusal Skill and Nonsmoking Related Self-efficacy among Adolescents," Child Health Nursing Research, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 237-249, 2003.
- K. O. Chang, E. K. Byun, N. Y. Lee, S. Y. Choi, "The Effects of Knowledge about The Harmfulness of Smoking and Attitude Toward Smoking Temptation for Middle School Students," Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 522-531, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2010.21.4.522. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2010.21.4.522
- H. R. Jeon, Y. I. Cho, "A Study on the Longitudinal Relation between School Violence Experience and Substance Use," Korean Journal of Youth Studies, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 111-129, 2015.
- S. O. Yang, S. J. Kim, E. J. Choi, S. S. Baek, S. B. Yang, " Knowledge and Attitude toward Smoking Behavior in Male Middle School Students," Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 387-398, 2002.
- J. J. Go, "Effect of Knowledge and Attitude toward Smoking on Smoking Behaviors in High School. The Journal of Korean Society for School Health Education, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 37-49, 1992.
- M. S. Im, M. S. Lee, B. J. Na, J. Y. Hong, S. J. Yu, "The Effect of Environmental Tobacco Smoke on the Smoking in Some Elementary and Middle School Students," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society: Proceedings of the KAIS Spring Conference, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 1209-1212, 2010.