- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Exposure to Blood and Body Fluids and Influencing Factors on Compliance with Standard Precautions among Nurses in General Hospital
종합병원 간호사의 혈액 및 체액 노출과 표준주의지침 이행도에 대한 영향 요인
- Park, Mi-Sook (Department of Nursing, Korea National University of Transportation)
- 박미숙 (한국교통대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2016.10.31
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
The purpose of this study was to identify blood and body fluids exposure, and factors influencing compliance with standard precautions among nurses. Participants consisted of 144 nurses in three general hospitals located in C province. Data were collected using a questionnaire that consisted of awareness, compliance, safety environment and attitude toward standard precautions. A total of 40.3% of participants had been injured by syringes or sharp tools that had already been used for patients within the last 1 year 1.01 times. Moreover, 22.9% of participants had been exposed to blood and body fluid of patients 1.06 times within the last 1 year. The mean score for compliance with standard precautions was lower than its awareness. There was a significant correlation between compliance and awareness and a safe environment. Multiple regression revealed an adjusted
Attitude;Awareness;Compliance;Safety Environment;Standard Precaution
Supported by : 한국교통대학교
- K. H. Lee, J. O. Choi, K. S. Lee, J. Hur, & T. Y. Hwang, "Nurses' Knowledge, Attitude, and Compliance with Hospital Infection Standard precautions," Korean Journal of Hospital Management, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 34-43, 2014
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, "Ministry of Health and Welfare Statistical Year Book 2015," No. 61, p. 177, 2015.
- M. J. Lee, "Relationships among Perception about Awareness, and Performance of Standard Precautions in Hospital Nurses," Mater's thesis, Gyeongsang National University, 2013.
- S. Y. Jung, "Current Status of Blood and Body Fluids Exposure of Nurses in Special Department and Associated Factors of Compliance with Standard Precautions," Master's thesis, Chosun University, 2011.
- J. H. Kim, "Exposure to Blood and Body Fluids and Awareness and Performance of Standard Precautions among Nurses," Mater's thesis, Hanyang University, 2015.
- Healthcare Infection Control Practice Advisory Committee, "2007 Guideline for Isolation Precautions ; Prevention transmission of Infectious agents in Healthcare settings," Retrieved from http//www.cdc.gov/hicpac/2007IP/2007isolationPrecautions.html. 2012.
- E. M. Beltrami, "Risk and Management of Blood-borne Infections in Health Care Workers," Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 385-407, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1128/CMR.13.3.385-407.2000 https://doi.org/10.1128/CMR.13.3.385-407.2000
- B. N. Doebbeling, T. E. Vaughn, K. D. McCoy, S. E. Beekmann, R. F. Woolson, K. J. Ferguson, et al., "Percutaneous Injury, Blood Exposure, and Adherence to Standard Precautions: Are Hospital-Based Health Care Providers Still at Risk?," Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 1006-13, 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1086/377535 https://doi.org/10.1086/377535
- Y. H. Suh & H. Y, Oh, "Knowledge, Perception, Safety Climate, and Compliance with Hospital Infection Standard Precautions among Hospital Nurses," Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 61-70, 2010.
- S. H. Tae & E. H. Hwang, "Nurses' Clinical Competence and its Relationship with Perception of and Compliance with Standard Precautions," Korean Journal Health Promotion, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 40-46, 2012.
- K. H. Yang, "Awareness and Performance of the Nurses to Standard Precautions for Infection Control in a University Hospital," Master's thesis, Chonbuk National University, 2010.
- I. Y. Kim, "A Comparative Study of Nurses' Knowledge, Safety Environment and Compliance of Standard Precaution for Infection Control between University Hospitals and General hospitals," Master's thesis, Inje University, 2012.
- G. R. Cho, "Influencing factors on the compliance about Standard precautions among ICU and ER nurses," Mater's thesis, Seoul National University, 2007.
- G. L. Cho, & J. S. Choi, "Knowledge of and Compliance with Standard Precautions by Nurses in Intensive Care Unit," Journal of Korean Academic Fundamental Nursing, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 73-81. 2010.
- M. Askarian, B. Honarvar, H. Tabatabaee, & O. Assadian, "Knowledge, Practice, and Attitude towards Standard Isolation precautions in Iranian Medical Students," Journal of Hospital Infection, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 292-296, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2004.07.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2004.07.004
- J. S. Kim, "Awareness and Performance of Physical Therapists on Nosocomial Infection," Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 189-202, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2008.8.11.189
- E. H. Jung, "Awareness and Performance for Standard Precautions among Outpatient Clinics Nursing Staffs in a University-affiliated Hospital," Master's thesis, University of Ulsan, 2011.
- H. J. Park, "A study on Emergency Room Nurses' Knowledge, Safety Climate, and Performance of Standard Precautions fo Infection Control," Master's thesis, Kyungpook National University, 2016.
- R. R., Gershon, C. D. Karkashian, J. W. Grosch, L. R. Murphy, A. Escamilla-Cejudo, P. A. Flanagan, et al., "Hospital Safety Climate and its relationship with Safe Work practices and Workplace Exposure Incidents," American Journal of Infection Control, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 211-221, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1067/mic.2000.105288 https://doi.org/10.1067/mic.2000.105288
- International Health Care Worker Safety Center, "EPINetTM* Report: 2005 percutaneous injury rates". Retrieved from http://www.healthsystem.vriginia.edu/internet/epinet/2006EPINetreport.pdf, April 30 2009.
- Center for Disease Control & Prevention, "Updated U.S. Public Health Service Guidelines for the Management of Occupational Exposure to HBV, HCV, and HIV and Recommendations for Postexposure Prophylaxis," Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 29, pp. 1-42, 2001.
- J. L. Gerberding, "Management of Occupational Exposures to Blood-Borne Viruses," New England Journal Of Medicine, 332, pp. 444-451, 1995. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199502163320707 https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199502163320707
- H. S. Oh, & K. W. Choe, "Descriptive Study of Reported Blood-borne Exposures in Health Care Workers in a University Hospital," Korean Journal of Nosocomial Infection Control, vol. 7, pp. 51-64, 2002.
- J. Y. Choi, " Prevention of HIV Infection in Health Care Setting," Korean Journal Nosocomial Infection Control, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 64-68, 2008.
- Y. H. Seo, "Influencing Factors on the Hospital Nurses' Compliance with Standard Precautions for Infection Control," Master's thesis, Eulji University, 2009.
- J. A. Choi, H. O. Lee, S. A. No, & S. J. Kim, "Influencing Factors on the Compliance with Standard Precautions among Nursing Officers in the Korean military Hospitals," Journal of Military Nursing Research, vol. 30, no. 2, 2012.