- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
A prospective study on early English education and Korean children's English proficiency: When cognitive, personality and parental factors are controlled
조기영어학습이 유아의 영어능력에 미치는 영향: 인지, 성격, 부모요인을 통제한 전향적 연구
- Kim, Geunyoung (Department of Psychology, Sogang University) ;
- Kim, Yoo Ree (Department of Psychology, Sogang University) ;
- Park, Hyekyung (Department of Psychology, Sogang University) ;
- Kim, Gahee (Department of Psychology, Sogang University)
- Received : 2016.08.05
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
Although a number of studies have been conducted in Korea since 2000 on the impact of early English education, their interpretation is still not conclusive, due to their lack of control groups and failure to control for third factors and use valid measurements. The present study was designed to examine the effect of an English education program on young children's English proficiency after 8 months using the most well-known official English proficiency measure, the WIDA for kindergarteners. In addition, the children's Korean language proficiency, cognitive abilities, personality, parents' SES, and parents' attitudinal variables before the education were measured and controlled. The results indicated that the intervention group performed better than the control group in both listening and speaking skills, even when all relevant factors were considered. This effect, however, was only found in the item-level analyses.
early English education;second language acquisition;second language development
- S. H. Ma, "The study on the relationship among preschoolers' English education, metalinguistic awareness, Korean and English vocabulary", The Journal of Korea Open Association for Early Childhood Education, 8, pp. 253-272, 2003.
- H. A. Seo, M. H. Choe, S. H. Jwa, H. Y. Cheon, "The effects of English education environments before and after entering elementary school on English fluency of third graders", The Journal of Korea Early Childhood Education, 10, pp. 299-319, 2003.
- M. J. Kim, "The effects of attendance at English medium early childhood programs on the development of young children's sociolinguistic competence in classrooms", Early Childhood Education Research & Review, 16, pp. 459-486, 2012.
- N. H. Woo, "Relations between intelligence, creative thinking abilities and experiences of Learning English in young children", The Journal of Korea Early Childhood Education, 4, pp. 453-474, 2007.
- B. Y. Rhee, "Exploring Korean 5-year-olds' overall English skills with WIDA", Korea Practice Association for Early Childhood Education, 17, pp. 21-34, 2012.
- D. Saer, "The effects of bilingualism on intelligence", British Journal of Psychology, 14, pp. 25-38. 1923. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8295.1923.tb00110.x
- W. Jones, W. Stewart, "Bilingualism and verbal intelligence", British Journal of Statistical Psychology, 4, pp. 3-8. 1951. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8317.1951.tb00300.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8317.1951.tb00300.x
- J. Johnson, E. Newport, E. "Critical period effects in language learning: The influence of maturational state on the acquisition of English as a second language", Cognitive Psychology, 21, pp. 60-99. 1989. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0010-0285(89)90003-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-0285(89)90003-0
- C. Snow, M. Hoefnagel-Hohle, M. "The critical period for language acquisition: Evidence from second-language learning", Child Development, 49, pp. 1114-1128. 1978. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1128751 https://doi.org/10.2307/1128751
- L. White, F. Genesee, "How native is near-native? The issue of ultimate attainment in adult second language acquisition", Second Language Research, 12, pp. 233-265, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/026765839601200301 https://doi.org/10.1177/026765839601200301
- S. Kim, S. H. Ma, "Young children's comprehension, reading and writing ability: The effects of balanced language activities using picture books.", The Journal of Korea Open Association for Early Childhood Education, 19, pp. 47-66. 2014.
- S. H. Ma, "English education activities and English story recall using story songs", Early Childhood Education Research & Review, 8, pp. 57-75. 2004.
- J. Choi, "The effect of the role play and game of communicative approach in terms of infant's English on the interest", The Journal of Korea Open Association for Early Childhood Education, 6, pp. 41-68. 2001.
- Y. Kim, T. Curby, A. Winsler, "Child, family, and school characteristics related to English proficiency development among low-income, dual language learners", Developmental Psychology, 50, pp. 2600-2613, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0038050 https://doi.org/10.1037/a0038050
- J. H. Kim, K. R. Kim, E. Y. Yu. "Investigation of parents' beliefs about young children's school readiness before entering elementary school by participating in early education", Early Childhood Education Research & Review, 15, pp. 99-116, 2011.
- J. I. Cha, "A study on parents' perception and the status of early age English education: Comparative study between kindergarten and private institutes" pp. 1-63. Master's thesis, Kookmin University, Korea, 2004.
- F. Genesee, F. "The role of intelligence in second language learning", Language Learning, 26, pp. 267-280, 1976. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-1770.1976.tb00277.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-1770.1976.tb00277.x
- C. Ordonez, M. Carlo, C. Snow, B. McLaughlin, "Depth and breadth in vocabulary in two languages: Which vocabulary skills transfer?", Journal of Educational Psychology, 94, pp. 719-728, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-06126.96.36.1999 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06188.8.131.529
- E. K. Horwitz, M. Horwitz, J. Cope, J. "Foreign language classroom anxiety" Modern Language Journal, 70, pp. 125-132, 1986. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4781.1986.tb05256.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4781.1986.tb05256.x
- M. Morales, P. Mundy, C. Delgado, M. Yale, R. Neal, H. Schwartz. "Gaze following, temperament and language development in 6-month-olds: A replication and extension", Infant Behavior and Development, 23, pp. 231-236, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0163-6383(01)00038-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0163-6383(01)00038-8
- D. Chung, S. Ji, "A study on the validity of the Multiple Intelligence Developmental Assessment Scale (MIDAS) for young Korean children Early Childhood Education Research & Review, 8, pp. 257-277, 2004.
- M. Choi, J. Park, "The development and validation of a big five factor personality inventory for young children", International Journal of Early Childhood Education, 33, pp. 281-299, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18023/kjece.2013.33.3.012
- K. Hakuta, Y. G. Butler, D. Witt, D. "How long does it take English learners to attain proficiency?", pp. 1-28. Berkeley, CA: UC Linguistic Minority Research Institute, 2000.
- C. Maas, J. Hox, J. "Sufficient sample sizes for multilevel modeling", Methodology: European Journal of Research Methods for the Behavioral and Social Sciences, 1, pp. 86-92. 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1027/1614-2241.1.3.85 https://doi.org/10.1027/1614-2241.1.3.86