- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
A Study on the NCS based Curriculum for Educating Information Security Manpower
정보보호 산업분야 신규 인력 양성을 위한 NCS 기반 교육과정 설계에 관한 연구
- Song, Jeong-Ho (Division of Computer Engineering, Kongju National University) ;
- Kim, Hwang-Rae (Division of Computer Engineering, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2016.07.27
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
National Competency Standards (NCS) need to be introduced to train newly hired staff and to gradually improve employees' work performance in the information security industry. In particular, the introduction of a new NCS curriculum for new hires is important in order to retain and efficiently manage professionals in the information security field. However, the legacy NCS is not clearly designed for the information security field. So a formal curriculum has been suggested for institutions training the information security workforce. Therefore, this study establishes a competency unit based on the types of personnel, their duties, and required knowledge. To select the competency unit, this study reviewed prior research to understand the required skills and work knowledge, and reviewed recruitment-based NCS that public agencies and public and private companies have carried out, including them in the study. The selected competency unit was classified into a required competency unit and an elective competency unit based on the importance of the duties and the demands of training. Through a verification process for the new, licensed career path model in the NCS information and communications field, this study suggests updated NCS competency units and required courses to provide an appropriate NCS curriculum for newly hired employees in the information security industry.
NCS;Information security industry;Train manpower;Curriculum Design;New license
- S. C. Jeong, S. W. Chol, "A Study on Improvement in evaluation method of practical skill test of national technique qualification of Master Craftsman Welding based on NCS," Journal of Korean Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 596-600, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.2.596
- NIS, MSIP, KCC, MOI, KISA, NSRI, "2014 National Information Security White Paper," 2014.
- Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning, "K-ICT Security Development Strategy," 2015.
- H. J. Jun, H. W. Yoo, T. S. Kim, "Analysis on Knowledge and Skills for Information Security Professionals," Journal Information systems review, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 253-267, 2008.
- H. W. Yoo, T. S. Kim, "Considering Information Security Professionals' Career to Analyze Knowledge and Skills Requirements," Journal of The Korea Institute of Information Security & Cryptology, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 77-89, 2009.
- T. S. Kim, K. H. Kim, "Analysis on a Turnover Process of Information Security Professionals," Journal Korea Institute of Information Security & Cryptology, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 101-108, 2011.
- J. Y. Park, "An Analysis on Training Curriculum for Educating Information Security Experts," Journal Management Information Review, Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 149-165, 2012
- D. W. Kim, S. W. Chai, J. C. Ryou, "A Study on Domestic Information Security Education System," Journal Korea Institute of Information Security & Cryptology, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 545-559, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.13089/JKIISC.2013.23.3.545 https://doi.org/10.13089/JKIISC.2013.23.3.545
- J. M. Bak, Y. G. Park, "An Exploring Study on the Possibility of Utilizing the NCS(National Competency Standards) for University Education," Journal of Employment and Career, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 1-19. 2012
- J. L. Han, D. H. Kim, "Study on the New Direction of Publishing Curriculum based on the National Competency Standards and Foreign University Publishing Courses," The Korean Publishing Science Society, no. 70, pp. 99-124, 2015.
- National Occupational Standards, Information Security of the NOS [Internet]. c2016[cited 2016 November 3], Available From: http://nos.ukces.org.uk/Pages/results.aspx?u=http%3A%2F%2Fnos%2Eukces%2Eorg%2Euk&k=security#k=information%20security. accessed November., 3, 2016)
- Human Resources Development Service of Korea. Introduce of the NCS [Internet]. c2016[cited 2016 July 20], Available From: http://www.ncs.go.kr/ncs/page.do?sk=P1A1_PG01_003. (accessed July., 20, 2016)
- Korea Education & Research Information Service, "Korea Occupational Outlook," pp. 739, Ministry of Employment and Labor, 2015
- Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning, Korea Internet & Security Agency, "2014 Information Security Career Guide Book," pp. 7-9, Korea Internet & Security Agency, 2014.
- Korea Software Industry Association, Korea Software Technology Association, "The reports of certification redesign by NCS," 2015.