- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
A Study of the Architectural Planning Based on the Concept of Sense of Place -The Cultural Complex at the Thames River-
장소성의 개념을 적용한 건축공간 계획에 관한 연구 -템스 강 복합문화공간 계획안-
- Choi, Dong-Hyeog (Department of Architecture, Gachon University)
- 최동혁 (가천대학교 건축학과)
- Received : 2016.08.03
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
This study is an architectural design thesis aimed at designing a building at the River Thames in London, which could float along the river and be anchored in the river, in terms of the concept of the sense of place. The process of the study was as follows. First, theoretical backgrounds of the concepts of sense of place, placelessness, and non-place were examined and the sense of place of River Thames was analyzed. Second, the architectural planning elements could be applied to architectural design in terms of the relationship between the place and architecture, form of architecture, and behaviors of peoples. Third, the architectural design concepts and programs were specified based on the planning elements and a cultural complex that floats on the River Thames in London, England was proposed. The focus of this study was the process of formation of a sense of place by the cognition of architecture and people's activity, and this study claimed that the sense of place could be materialized by the metaphorically inherent property of the architecture.
Cognition of Architecture;Floating Architecture;Placelessness;Sense of Place;Thames River
- E. Relph, Place and Placelessness, p. 114, 103, 290, Nonhyung, 2005.
- S. H. Hong, J. S. Park, S. B. Im, Study on the Definition and Concept for Sense of Place, Proceedings of the 2011 Symposium on Korea Landscape Council, pp. 39-52, 2011.4.
- J. Y. Uhr, H. K. Yuh, A Study on Place Value on the Notion Place, Journal of the Korea Planning Association, 45(6), pp. 21-34, 2010.
- S. H. Lim, Theoretical Approach on the Modern Space and Placeness - Focused on Foucault and Lefebvre's discussions of space, Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea Planning & Design 30(6), pp. 185-192, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5659/JAIK_PD.2014.30.6.185
- H. M. Jung, A Review of Studies on 'Non-place' of Marc Auge, Cross-Cultural Studies, 19(1), pp. 107-141, 2013.
- S. J. Shin, S. W. Kim, Y. C. Jeon, A Study on the Formation of Place using Digital Technology, Proceedings of the Symposium on Architectural Institute of Korea, 33(1), pp. 149-152, 2013.
- J. W. Kim, The Thames Riverside Village, The Essay Time, 1, pp. 131-133, 2006.
- J. H. Lee, The Landscape Management Plan for the Image Enhancement of the City of London, Planning and Policy, pp. 86-92, 2012.