- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
An analysis of error sources and reliability estimation in self-control assessment of young children using generalizability theory
일반화가능도 이론 적용 가능성 탐색을 위한 유아 자기통제력 평가도구의 신뢰도와 오차요인 분석
- Choi, Younchul (Department of Early Childhood Education, Korea National University of Education) ;
- Kim, Kyung-Chul (Department of Early Childhood Education, Korea National University of Education)
- Received : 2016.09.28
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
The purpose of this study is to determine the error sources and effects of each error source in self-control assessment of young children. The self-control of 259 five-year-old children was assessed using the Self-Control Rating Scale(SCRS) developed by Kendall and Wilcox. The evaluation results were analyzed using G study of generalizability theory. The results of G study shows that parents can be effective evaluators for the self-control assessment of young children. The strategies to reduce the effects of error are also discussed.
error source;generalizability theory;reliability estimation;self-control assessment;young children
- K. Kim and Y. Choi, "An Analysis of Error Sources and Reliability Estimation in Emotional Intelligence Assessment of Young Children Using Generalizability Theory," Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 239-250, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.08.38
- K. Kim and Y. Choi, "An Analysis of Error Sources and Reliability Estimation in Creativity Assessment of Young Children Using Generalizability Theory," Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 287-296, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.05.40
- C. B. Kopp, "Antecedents of Self-regulation: A Developmental Perspective," Developmental Psychology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 199-214, 1982. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-16220.127.116.11 https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-1618.104.22.168
- R. Diaz, C. Neal and M. Williams, The Social Origins of Self-regulation. in Vygotsky and Education: Instructional Implications and Application of Sociohistorical psychology, Edited L. C. Moll, Cambridge University Press, pp. 127-154, 1990. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781139173674.007
- P. C. Kendall, B. A. Zupan and L. Braswell, "Self-control in Children: Further Analyses of the Self-Control Rating Scale," Behavior Therapy, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 667-681, 1981. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0005-7894(81)80138-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0005-7894(81)80138-4
- P. C. Kendall, L. E. Wilcox, "Self-control in Children: Development of a Rating Scale," Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 1020-1029, 1979. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.47.6.1020 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.47.6.1020
- R. W. Tyler, Basic Principles of Curriculum and Instruction, University of Chicago Press, 1949.
- D. L. Stufflebeam, Educational Evaluation and Decision Making, Peacock, 1971.
- S. S. Kim, Y. B. Kim. Generalizability Theory, Kyoyukkwahaksa, 2001.
- J. S. Lee. Generalizability Theory, Yonsei University Press, 1988.
- R. L. Brennan, Generalizability Theory, Springer Verlag, 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4757-3456-0
- A. Kang, G. Lee, "A Generalizability Theory Approach to Investigating the Generalizability of Performance Assessment Using Student Peer Review," Journal of Educational Evaluation, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 107-121, 2006.
- K. S. Kim, G. Lee, S. H. Kang, "Analysis of Error Sources and Estimation of Reliability in a Korean Speaking Achievement Test by Applying Generalizability, Theory," Journal of Korean Language Education, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 51-75, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18209/iakle.2010.21.4.51 https://doi.org/10.18209/iakle.2010.21.4.51
- S. Kim, "Exploring the Application of Multivariate Generalizability Theory to Teacher Evaluation for Professional Development in Korea Based on the Analysis of Classroom Observations in the U.S.," The Journal of Korean Education, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 5-29, 2014.
- M. Nam, "An Application of the Generalizability Theory to Performance Assessment," Journal of Educational Evaluation, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 73-93, 1996.
- S. Yoo, "Performance Assessment: Issues of Generalizability Theory, Dependability of Scoring, and Relative Information on Student Performance," Journal of Educational Evaluation, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 23-41, 1998.
- Y. S. Lee, S. K. Shin, "An investigation into the dependability of ratings in a German speaking test using the multivariate generalizability theory," Foreign Languages Education, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 259-265, 2004.
- J. Cho, A Study on the Optimal Conditions of Tasks and Raters Facet in Speaking Assessment Using Generalizability Theory. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation. Korea University, 2008.
- Y. Choi, The Effect of Parent Traning about Assessment on the Inter-rater Reliability of Mother/Teacher Judgement. Unpublished Master'S Thesis. Chung-Ang University, 1996.
- Y. Choi and K. Kim, "An Analysis of Error Sources and Reliability Estimation in Temperament Assessment of Young Children Using Generalizability Theory," Korean Journal of Child Care and Education Policy, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 95-109, 2014.
- A. L. Robin, J. E. Fischel, K, E. Brown, "The Measurement of Self-control in Children: Validation of the Self-Control Rating Scale," Journal of Pediatric Psychology, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 165-175, 1984. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/jpepsy/9.2.165 https://doi.org/10.1093/jpepsy/9.2.165
- K. C. Kim and A. R. Oh, "A cross-cultural validation study of SCRS(Self-Control Rating Scale)," The Journal of Korea Open Association for Early Childhood Education, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 186-206, 2014.