- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effects of Emergency Department Nurses' Emotional Labor on Professional Quality of Life -Focusing on Mediating Effects of Emotional Dissonance-
응급실 간호사의 감정노동이 전문직 삶의 질에 미치는 영향 -감정부조화의 매개효과를 중심으로-
- Received : 2016.10.25
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
The purpose of this descriptive survey study was to explore the effects of emotional labor on professional quality of life of emergency department nurses and to elucidate any mediating effects of emotional dissonance between emotional labor and professional quality of life. A total of 227 nurses, including general, charge, and head nurses, who have worked in an emergency department at university hospitals, general hospitals, and junior general hospitals located in Gyeongnam, Daegu and Gyeongbuk areas over a period of 6 months. Data were collected between December 12 and December 29 of 2015. We analyzed the data with descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficient, and three-step mediated regression analysis using SPSS/WIN 21.0 program. The average scores of emotional labor, compassion satisfaction, compassion fatigue, burnout, and emotional dissonance were 4.50 out of 7.00, 31.62 out of 50.00, 29.48 out of 50.00, 29.27 out of 50.00, and 5.02 out of 7.00, respectively. Emotional labor had significant effects on compassion fatigue and burnout, showing explanatory power of 12% and 29%, respectively. Emotional dissonance had partial mediating effects in the relationship between emotional labor and compassion fatigue and complete mediating effects in the relationship between emotional labor and burnout. In summary, to improve the professional quality of life of nurses, it is necessary to develop effective strategies to minimize their emotional labor and emotional dissonance.
Emergency Room;Emotional Dissonance;Emotional Labor;Nurses;Professional Quality of Life
- National Emergency Medical Center, "2014 Emergency medical statistics annual report," Annual Report, National Emergency Medical Center, 2015, Report No. 2015-National Emergency-009.
- H. O. Kim, "A study on the emotional labor of emergency room nurse," Unpublished master's thesis, Eulji University, Daejeon, 2013.
- H. N. Cho, S. J. Kim, "Relationship of job stress, hardness and burnout among emergency room nurses," Journal of Korean Academic Society of Occupational Health Nursing, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 11-19, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2014.23.1.11 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2014.23.1.11
- M. J. Kim, "Kinds of workplace violence for hospital nurses and their reaction after being damaged," Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2008.
- S. M. Wi, Y. J. Yi, "Influence of emotional labor on job satisfaction, intent to leave and nursing performance of clinical nurses," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 310-319, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.3.310 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.3.310
- Y. M. Oh, "A study on the emotional labor and organizational effectiveness of nurses," Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2010.
- S. N. Lee, "Relation of among emotional labor, burnout and job involvement of nurses," Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2010.
- W. S. Park, "Emotional labor of the emergency room nurse and the relationship of the turnover intention," Unpublished master's thesis, Soonchunhang University, Asan, 2015.
- M. Y. Han, "Mediating effect of health promotion behaviors in the relationship between emotional labors and professional quality of life in clinical nurses," Unpublished master's thesis, Gachon University, Incheon, 2014.
- J. Y. Kim, I. H. Kang, W. S. Cho, "Effects of tour conductors emotional labor on emotional dissonance and burnout," Journal of Korea Academic Society of Tourism Management, vol. 28,nNo. 2, pp. 305-324, 2013.
- C. M. Brotheridge, A. A. Grandey, "Emotional labor and burnout: Comparing two perspectives of people work," Journal of Vocational Behavior, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 17-39, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.2001.1815 https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.2001.1815
- J. H. Choi, "Mediating effect of ego resilience in relations between emotional dissonance and job stress of emotional laborer -with emphasis on financial workers-," Unpublished master's thesis, Dongshin University, Naju, 2015.
- J. W. Chang, J. S. Lee, "The work satisfaction mediated effect analysis that emotional labor of elderly care providers affect depression," Journal of Welfare for the Aged, vol. 59, pp. 31-54, 2013.
- C. M. Ko, A. Y. Lee, "The mediating effect of emotional dissonance in the relationship between emotional labor and burnout among clinical nurses," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 647-657, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.5.647 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.5.647
- J. S. Kim, "A study about the influence of the care workers emotional labor on turnover intention and mediating effects of emotive dissonance and job satisfaction," Journal of Welfare for the Aged, vol. 61, pp. 163-187, 2013.
- C. Y. Hur, T. S. Kim, "Effects of railroad tour conductors' emotional labor on emotional dissonance and job satisfaction: Mediating effect of emotional dissonance and moderating effect of commitment to emotional display rules," Journal of Korean Academy of Human Resource Management, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 81-102, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14396/jhrmr.2014.21.3.81
- C. R. Figley, "Compassion fatigue: Coping with secondary traumatic stress disorder in those who treat the traumatized," pp. 1-268, New York: Brunner/ Mazel Publishers, 1995.
- B. H. Stamm, "Measuring compassion satisfaction as well as fatigue: Developmental history of the compassion satisfaction and fatigue test," In: C. R. Figley, editor, "Treating compassion fatigue," pp. 107-119, New York: Brunner-Routledge, 2002.
- Y. J. Jun, M. H. Sung, "Effects of traumatic events, compassion fatigue, self-esteem and compassion satisfaction on burnout of nurses in emergency department," Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 80-88, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2014.23.2.80 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2014.23.2.80
- J. M. Lee, Y. H. Yom, "Effects of work stress, compassion fatigue and compassion satisfaction on burnout in clinical nurses," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 689-697, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.5.689 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.5.689
- C. Maslach, "A multidimensional theory of burnout," In: C. L. Cooper, editor, "Theories of organizational stress," pp. 68, New York: Oxford University Press, 1998.
- E. J. Kim, "A study relation between burnout experience and job satisfaction of nurses," Unpublished master's thesis, Kyunghee University, Seoul, 2002.
- E. J. Rhu, E. N. Lee, "Relationship among task interruption and task performance and burn-out in emergency room nurses," Journal of Korean Critical Care Nursing, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 34-43, 2013.
- E. J. Yun, "An experiential analysis of burnout in counselors," The Korea Journal of Counseling, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 1855-1871, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.10.4.200912.1855 https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.10.4.200912.1855
- Y. H. Bae, T. H. Lee, "Relationship of experience of violence and professional quality of life for hospital nurses," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 489-500, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.5.489 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.5.489
- A. R. Park, "Factors affecting turnover intention of emergency room nurses," Unpublished master's thesis, Daegucatholic University, Gyeongsan, 2014.
- K. S. Yoon, "A study on the job stress and coping of emergency nurses," Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University, Seoul, 2003.
- C. M. Brotheridge, R. T. Lee, "Development and validation of the emotional labour scale," Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 365-379, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1348/096317903769647229 https://doi.org/10.1348/096317903769647229
- S. M. Kruml, D. Geddes, "Exploring the dimensions of emotional labor: The heart of Hochschild's work," Management Communication Quarterly, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 8-49, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0893318900141002 https://doi.org/10.1177/0893318900141002
- J. K. Jang, "A study on the dynamism of emotional labor," Unpublished dissertation, Korea University, Seoul, 2011.
- B. H. Stamm, "Professional quality of life: Compassion satisfaction and fatigue version 5 (ProQOL)," Pocatello: ProQOL.org, 2009, Available from: http://www.proqol.org/uploads/ProQOL_5_English.pdf (cited 2015 October)
- H. J. Kim, H. J. Choi, "Emergency nurses' professional quality of life: Compassion satisfaction, burnout and secondary traumatic stress," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 320-328, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.3.320 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.3.320
- S. E. Park, "An empirical study on the relationships among employees' perceived display rule demands, emotional dissonance and their psychological responses," Korean Academy of Organization and Management, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 25-53, 2008.
- E. Y. Lee, "The influence of emotional labor and resilience on burnout in clinical nurse," Unpublished master's thesis, Kongju National University, Gongju, 2015.
- A. A. Grandey, "When "the show must go on": Surface acting and deep acting as determinants of emotional exhaustion and peer-rated service delivery," Academy of Management Journal, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 86-96, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/30040678 https://doi.org/10.2307/30040678
- S. Y. Jeon, J. Y. Ha, "Traumatic events, professional quality of life and physical symptoms among emergency nurses," Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 64-73, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.1.64 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.1.64
- M. S. Jeon, "Oncology nurses' resilience, professional quality of life and caring," Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul, 2015.
- H. S. Lee, "Effects of spiritual well-bing, compa- ssion fatigue and compassion satisfaction on burnout among nurses working in oncology unit," Unpublished master's thesis, Kosin University, Busan, 2015.
- M. Y. Han, M. S. Lee, J. Y. Bae, Y. S. Kim, "Effects of nursing practice environment, compassion fatigue and compassion satisfaction on burnout in clinical nurses," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 193-202, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.2.193 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.2.193
- H. J. Shin, K. H. Kim, "Emotional labor and professional quality of life in Korean psychiatric nurses," Journal of Health and Social Welfare Review, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 190-216, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2015.35.4.190
- E. J. Kim, "Emergency nurse-patient interaction behavior," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 1004-1013, 2005. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.6.1004