- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Analysis on the Relationship between Consumer Sentiment and Macro-economic Indices by Consumer's Characteristics
우리나라 소비자 특성별 체감경기와 거시경제지표 간의 관계 분석
- Kim, Young-Joon (Department of Economics & Finance, Sangmyung University) ;
- Shin, Sukha (Department of Economics, Sookmyung University)
- Received : 2016.09.05
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
This paper presents an empirical analysis on the relationship between consumer sentiment and macro-economic indices by consumer's characteristics such as age, income and employment type. According to the empirical analysis based on the Consumer Sentiment Index(CSI) of the Bank of Korea and other macro-economic indices, the following study findings are presented. First, individual consumer sentiment depends not only on GDP growth, but also on other macro-economic conditions such as wage, employment, consumer and asset price, and debt burden. Second, the degree of importance of the macro-economic indices on determining individual consumer sentiment varies strongly according to consumers' characteristics. These findings reveal that the gap between consumer sentiment and GDP growth can largely be explained by considering the other macro-economic indices and consumer's characteristics.
Business Cycle;Consumer Confidence;Consumer Sentiment;Consumer Sentiment Index;Macro-economic Indices
Supported by : 상명대학교
- Matsusaka, J. G. and A. M. Sbordone, "Consumer Confidence and Economic Fluctuations," Economic Inquiry, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 296-318, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1465-7295.1995.tb01864.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1465-7295.1995.tb01864.x
- Soules, N., "Consumer Sentiment: Its Rationality and Usefulness in Forecasting Expenditure - Evidence from the Michigan Micro Data," NBER Working Paper no. 8410, pp. 1-38, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3386/w8410
- Kim, S. and Y. Goo, "The Predictive Power of the Index of Consumer Sentiment," Economic Analysis, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 73-107, 2005.
- Lee, G., "Economic Forecasting under the Korean Currency Crisis: Short-term Forecasting of GDP with Business Survey Data," The Korean Journal of Applied Statistics, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 397-404, 1999.
- Park, S. and J. Choi., "The Analysis of Main Causes on Consumer Sentiment Indicator (CSI)'s Changes," Statistics Korea Working Paper, pp. 1-29, 2006.
- Lee. W., J. Sim, and Y. Park., "A Time Series Analysis of the Reciprocal Agenda-Setting Relationships Running among Economic News, the State of the Economy, Consumer Expectations, and Consumer Behaviors," The Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 280-307, 2007.
- Doms, M. and N. Morin, "Consumer Sentiment, the Economy, and the News Media," Finance and Economic Discussion Series, p.1-70, 2004-51, Federal Reserve Board, 2004.
- Bram, J. and S. Ludvigson, "Does Consumer Confidence Forecast Household Expenditure? A Sentiment Index Horse Race," Economic Policy Review, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 59-78, 1998.
- Curtin, R., "Consumer Sentiment Surveys: Worldwide Review and Assesment," Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 7-42, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/jbcma-v2007-art2-en
- Fisher, K. and M. Statman, "Consumer Confidence and Stock Returns," Journal of Portfolio Management, pp. 115-127, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3905/jpm.2003.319925
- Gelper, S., A. Lemmens, and C. Croux, "Consumer sentiment and consumer spending: decomposing the Granger causal relationship in the time domain," Applied Economics, no. 39, no. 1, pp. 1-11, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00036840500427791
- Golinelli, R. and G. Parigi, "Consumer Sentiment and Economic Activity: A Cross Country Comparison," Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 140-170, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/jbcma-v2004-art10-en
- Howrey, E. P., "The Predictive Power of the Index of Consumer Sentiment," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, pp. 175-216, 2001.
- Kim. J., "The Analysis on Social Happiness and Macroeconomics Variables," Korea Safety Management & Science Spring Conference, pp. 109-121, 2009.
- Park, C. and Y. Lee, "Analysis on the Predictive Power of the Housing Market Survey Indices," Journal of the Korea Real Estate Analysis Association, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 131-146, 2010.