- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Health Conditions, Activities of Daily Living, Depression, Sleep, and Cognitive Functions of the Elderly at Care Facilities and Their Related Factors
요양시설 노인들의 건강상태, 일상생활수행능력, 우울, 수면과 인지기능정도와 관련요인
- Kim, Jong-Im (Department of Nursing, Jungwon University)
- 김종임 (중원대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2016.09.30
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
The purpose of this study was to investigate the relations between the cognitive functions, health conditions, activities of daily living, depression and sleep states among the elderly at care facilities. The subjects include 204 elderly people aged 65. The data collected were analyzed using descriptive statistics, the t-test, ANOVA, Pearson correlation, and hierarchical multiple regression. The findings show that the cognitive functions of the elderly at care facilities are related to their engagement in regular exercise, duration of residency, grade of care, lack of physical freedom, listening ability, state of teeth, urinary incontinence, activities of daily living, and state of sleep. Their cognitive functions had positive correlations with activities of daily living and negative correlations with state of sleep. Their cognitive impairment was significantly influenced by their engagement in regular exercise, duration of residency, grade of care, listening ability, ADL, IAD dependency, and sleep disorder. In short, the cognitive functions of the elderly at care facilities are highly related to their health conditions as perceived and felt by them. It is thus required to develop, apply, and consistently assess and manage cognitive rehabilitation training programs to provide interventions for the factors that influence their cognitive impairment.
Cognitive function;Cognitive impairment;Depression;Elderly;Sleep
- Y. A. Kim, J. Y. Lee, H. S. Kim, J. H. Hwan, "A Comparison of Nursing problems Identifical through RAI-FC and by Nursing Caring for Nursing Home Residents," Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 58-68, 2011
- E. J. Kim, "Factors Influencing Cognitive Impairment of the Elderly Residents," Journal of East-West Nursing Reserch," vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 122-130, 2010.
- J. H. Cho, "Depression and cognitive function of the elderly ising the welfare facitities for the aged in the community," J Korea Academy Public Health Nursing, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 119-129, 2006.
- Roynold, C. F. 3rd, Alexopoulos G. S, Katz, I. R, "Geriatric depressin diagnosis and treatment," Generarations, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 28-31, 2002.
- Y. E. Kwon, Y. S. Kim, G. H. Suh, " Cognitive Function and Depression of the Elderly in a Community Setting," Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 161-169, 2006.
- E. H. Ha, K. S. Park, "Factors Influencing Cognitive Impairment in Elders with Dementia Living at Home," The Korean Journal of Fundamental of Nursing, vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 317-327, 2011.
- I. S. Jeong, J. S. Kim, B. C. Chun, E. S. Chun, "Community Based Cross-sectional Study on the Risk Factors of Dementia among the Elderly in a City," Korean J Prev Med, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 313-321, 2002.
- E. J. Kim, "Factors Influencing Cognitive Impairment of the Elderly Residents," Journal of East-West Nursing Reserch, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 122-130, 2010.
- E. S. Shin, Y. C. Cho, "Cognitive Function and Its Related Factors Among the Elderly People Affiliated with Long-term Care Insurance Services in Rural Areas," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 4493-4501, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.10.4493 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.10.4493
- D. H. Kim, J. H. Lee, H. J. Chac, M. U. Cho, "Comparison of instrumental activitities of daily living and cognitive functions among the elderly attending senior community centers according to the presence of depressive symptoms," J Korean Neuropsychiatr Assoc, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 183-189, 2008.
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. G. Lang, A. Buchner, "G*POWER 3: A Flexible Statistical Power Analysis Program for the Social, Behavioral, and Biomedial Sciences," Behavior Research Methods, Vol. 39, pp. 175-191, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146 https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- S. H. Lee. "Dementia in the primary care," Korean Journal of Family Medicine, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 295-308. 1999
- J. W. Won, K. Y. Yang, Y. G. Rho, S. Y. Kim, E. J. Lee, J. L. Yoon, K. H. Cho, H. C. Shin, B. R. Cho, J. R. Oh, D. K. Yoon, H. S. Lee, Y. S. Lee, "The development of korean activities of daily living(K-ADL) and korean instrumental activities of daily living(K-IADL) scale," Journal of the Korean Geriatrics Society, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 107-120, 2002.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare, "Nationwide Study on the Prevalence of Dementia in Korean Elders," 2008.
- H. J. Lee, S. K. Kahug, "Age and Gender Differences in Cognitive Functioning among Elderly," Mental Health & Social Work, Vol. 37, pp. 255-278, 2011.
- K. W. Koh, B. M. Cho, S. I. Lee, D. K. Kim, B. S. Cho, Y. W. Kim, Y. S. Kim, S. Y. Kang, "A Study on the Factors related to the Cognitive impairment of the Elderly in a Rural Area," Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public health, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 657-668, 1996.
- H. J. Kim, B. H. Kim, O. S. Kim. "The Effect of Visual and Hearing Impairment on Depression and Cognitive Function in Community-dwelling Elderly: The Korean Longitudinal Study of Aging 2008," The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 584-594, 2011.
- N. Sugawara, A. Sasaki, Y. Nasui-Furukori, S. Kakehata, T. Umeda, A. Namba, S. Nakaji, H. Shinkawa, S. Kanako, "Hearing Impairment and Cognitive Function among a Community-dwelling Population in Japan," Annals of General Psychiatry, vol. 10, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3192687/? tool=pubmed
- S. K. Oh, T. R. Lee, "Comparison of Cognitive Function, Barthel Activities of Daily Living and Self-Perceived Health Toward Elders and Demented Elders," Journal of The Korea Society of Health Informatics and Statisties, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 809-824, 2000.
- Y. C. Kwon, J. H. Park, Korean version of mini-mental state examination(MMSE-K) Part 1; Development of the test for the elderly, Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 125-131, 1989.
- B. S. Kee, "A preliminary study for the standardization of geriatric depression scale short form-Korea version," Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 298-307, 1996.
- J. S Won, K. H. Kim, Evaluation of cognitive functions, depression, life satisfaction, among the elderly receiving visiting nursing services, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 38, pp. 1-10, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.1.1 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.1.1
- Y. M. Lee, "Factor Associated with congnitive impairment of the elderly in nursing homes," Journal of the Korea Academia Industrial coorperation Society, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 3373-3982, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.9.3973
- J. M. Kim, R. Stewart, N. Glozier, N. Prince, S. W. Kim, S. J. Yang, I. S. Shin, J. S. Yoom, Physical health, depression and cognitive function as correlates of disability in an elder Korean population, Int J of Geriatr Psychiatry, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 160-167, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/gps.1266 https://doi.org/10.1002/gps.1266
- E. S. Jung, M. K. Jeon, "Comparison of the activities of daily living and sleep according to the presence depression in the elderly," The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 289-297, 2013.
- N. Sugawara, Sasaki. A. Yasui-Furnkori, N. Shinkawa, H. & Kancko, S. "hearing Impairment and Cagnitive Function among a Community-dwelling population in Japan," Annals of General Psychiatry, vol. 10, 2011. http://www. ncbi.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3192687/tool=pubmed
- Y. E. Kwon, Y. S. Kim, G. H. Suh, "Factors Infiuencing Cognitive Impairment in Elders with Dementia Living of Home," The Korean Journal of Fundamental of Nursing, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 317-322, 2011.
- G. B. Kim, Y. S. Kim, S. G. Kang, "The Relationship between Physical Activity and Cognitive Functioning on Older Auults," The Korean Journal of Functioning Education, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 257-268, 2000.
- S. Ancoli-Israel, "Sleep and its disorders in aging populations," Sleep Medicine, vol. 10, pp. S7-S11, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sleep.2009.07.004
- M. P. Lawton, E. M. Brody, "Assessment of older people: Self-maintaining and instrumental activities of daily living," Gerontologist, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 179-186, 1969. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/9.3_Part_1.179 https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/9.3_Part_1.179
- Intergenerational Program for Nursing Home Residents and Adolescents in Korea pp.0098-9134, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3928/00989134-20170908-03