- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Exploring the Meaning of Self-directed Service experienced by Preservice Teachers -Focused on the Service of Daycare Programs for Lower Grades of Elementary-
예비유아교사가 경험한 자기 주도적 봉사의 의미 탐색 -초등학교 저학년 돌봄 교실 봉사를 중심으로-
- Hwang, Ji-Ae (Dept. of Early Childhood Education, Wonkwang Health Science University)
- 황지애 (원광보건대학교 유아교육과)
- Received : 2016.10.20
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
Six preservice teachers who participated in the "2016 service of summer vacation daycare programs by university and college students" focused on the programs for the formation of art, music and physical education and recreation culture were selected as research participants. The meaning of the experience they had through the service process was qualitatively analyzed. The subjects accepted the purpose of the self-directed service in which they should themselves solve a series of the entire process, from planning a volunteer program through drawing up the budget and purchasing materials to practice, evaluation and expressed the intention of participation. A volunteer program was conducted including visiting a daycare program for lower graders of elementary school (1st and 2nd grades) with more than 40 class hours during vacation. As research materials, research participants' journals, transcripts of individual interviews and group interviews, transcripts of phone calls, e-mail messages, and self-evaluation records of each class hour were collected. To increase the reliability and validity of the study, triangulation, member check, advice and review of the experts were conducted. In the study results, the volunteering experience-related significance for the preservice teachers who participated in the self-directed service were broadly categorized into 'Becoming a capable professional teacher', that consists of 'Increasing the power of thinking', 'Realizing the importance of communication', 'Doing together itself is important' and 'Ability to apply information and resources is needed'. 'Increase the continuity between preschool and elementary education' was subdivided into 'Get to know the necessity of the continuity between preschool and elementary education' and 'Want to learn the continuity between preschool and elementary education.'
self-directed service;preservice teacher;daycare programs;lower grades of elementary
Supported by : 원광보건대학
- K. M. Lee, Y. J. Choi, S. J. Park, "Development of creativity and personality educational program for pre-service early childhood teachers and its effects", Korean Journal of Children's Media, 12(2), 73-96, 2002.
- Ministry of Education and Science Technology, The Ministry of Health and Welfare, "Teachers' Guide Books for Nuri Curriculum for the age of 3-5", Seoul: Ministry of Education and Science Technology, The Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2013.
- The Ministry of Health and Welfare, National Child Protection Agencies, "Relationship with the damage child and child abuse actors", http://korea1391.org/new/page/sts_attacker.php. (accessed Dec, 12, 2014).
- Fessler, R., A model for teacher professional growth and development, In P. J. Burke & R. G. Heideman (Eds.), "Career-long education"(pp.181-193), Springfield, IL: Charles C Thomas, 1985.
- Korean Council for College Education, "2009 college curriculum development report-early childhood department curriculum", Korean Council for College Education Research, 2009.
- Boss, J. A., "The effect of community service work on the moral development of college ethics students", Journal of Moral Education, 23(2), 183-198, 1994. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/0305724940230206 https://doi.org/10.1080/0305724940230206
- N. M. Ryu, E. H. Choi, "A phenomenological study on the university students' experience of volunteer activity", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 14(2), 1-26, 2007.
- E. H. Seo, "The effect of teaching experience of service-Learning on achievement goal orientations for women's college students", The Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, 23(3), 477-489, 2009.
- Sheckley, B. G., Keeton, M. T., "Service learning a theoretical model", In J. Schine (Ed.), "Service learning: ninety-sixth yearbook of the national society for the study of education", Part 1(pp.32-55). Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1997.
- H. J. Ahn, "Examining Conceptions of Volunteering in Early Childhood Education from Diverse Perspectives", The Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 19(3), 471-485, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2010.19.3.471 https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2010.19.3.471
- M. J. Kim, "Meaning of pre-service early childhood teacher's education official development assistance", Early Childhood Education Research & Review, 18(3), 257-282, 2014.
- C. H. Chun, "The pre-service early childhood teachers's perception of educational service", Korean Journal of Children's Media, 12(3), 249-275, 2013.
- S. M. Lee, H. M. Cho, "Qualitative Research on Pre-service Teachers' Volunteer Activity at Early Childhood Education Settings", Korean Journal of Child Studies, 20(1), 197-216, 2011.
- Long, H. B., "Learning about self-directed learning". Oklahoma Research Center, University of Oklahoma.
- J. Y. Park, D. S. Kwon, "The relationship between in pre-service early childhood teachers' self-direct learning ability and their teaching competence and their professional recognition", Journal of Children's Literature and Education, 17(2), 423-437, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.22154/JCLE.17.2.18 https://doi.org/10.22154/JCLE.17.2.18
- Knowles, S., Malcolm, F., Shepherd, A., "Adult learner: the definitive classic in adult education and human res", Seoul: Academic press, 2010.
- S. J. Lee, Y. G. Jang, H. M. Lee, K. Y. Park, "A study on the development of life-skills: communication, problem solving, and self-directed learning", Korean Educational Development Institute Research Report, 2003.
- Bodgdan, R. C., Biklen, S. K., "Qualitative research for education: an introduction to theory and methods", Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon, 1982.
- Lincoln, Y. S., Guba, E. G., "Naturalistic inquiry", Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications, 1985.
- Darling-Hammond, L., Bransford, J., "Preparing teachers for a changing world: what teachers should learn and be able to do", CA: Jossey-Bass, 2005.
- Korea Research Institute for Vocational Education and Training, "Analysis of the result of university students' core competencies", KRIVET Issue Brief, 29, 1-4, 2013.
- E. S. Shin, E. H. Park, W. J. Cho, K. M. Lee, Y. E. You, J. W. Lee, B. H. Lee, "The development of korean kindergarten teacher core competences: an explorative study", Early Childhood Education Research & Review, 15(5), 203-226, 2011.
- Ministry of Education and Science Technology, "A study on the directions for improvement of the early childhood teacher training and employment system", Seoul: Ministry of Education and Science Technology, 2010.
- J. M. Jee, "Study on the creative musical learning through small group musical play activities", Korea National University of Education Master's Thesis, 2005.
- B. C. Kim, "A qualitative case study on the educational service activities process for prospective teachers", Journal of Korean Education, 37(10), 113-145, 2010.
- Korean Educational Development Institute, "Research for continuity reinforcement from kindergarten to elementary school", Research Report, Seoul: Korean Educational Development Institute, 2014.
- Donation for Education, "Doing donation for education", http://www.teachforkorea.go.kr/subscriptive (accessed Oct, 3, 2016).