- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Compositional Manners for Emphasizing the Dramatic Lines in Film
영화의 장면에 악센트를 부여하는 음악 기법 연구
- Shin, Hye Seung (Department of Popular Music, Yeojoo College)
- 신혜승 (여주대학교 실용음악과)
- Received : 2016.10.13
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
The marriage between music and film, both temporal art forms, demands that the inherent aspects of note in each medium are brought into correspondence within a dramatic context. In film-making, the most crucial and difficult problem a film composer faces is finding the music that seems absolutely right for the film and its characters, sequences and dramatic lines. When writing a film score, composers become musical dramatists; some have a special instinct that enables them to find the right kind of melodic line, orchestral texture, rhythmic device and musical style to bring out what they intuitively recognize as the essential aspect of the drama. In this study, several examples are cited - Alex North, Hugo Friedhofer, Bernard Herrmann and David Raksin - that underline this kinetic function of music in film. Effort is made to uncover as many possibilities as possible, so as to arrive at a better understanding of how the two media interrelate for the purpose of emphasizing the dramatic lines.
Ambiguous Tonal Structure;Film music;Musical Irony;Musical Synchronization;Thematic Repetition
- Roy M. Prendergast, The Film Music : a neglected art : a critical study of music in film, pp. 213-216, 1977.
- Roy M. Prendergast, The Film Music : a neglected art : a critical study of music in film, p. 240, 1977.
- Hans Christian Schmidt, The Practices of Film Music, translated by Suk-Hee Kang, Gypmoondang Press, p. 213, 2001.
- George Burt. The Art of Film Music, Northeastern Univ. Press, pp. 47-50, 1994.
- David Raksin, Liner notes for Laura, RCA ARL1-1490, 1986.
Hye-Seung Shin, The Manners of Composition In the Sequence of
, Proceedings of The KAIS Fall Conference, pp. 531-534, 2010.
- Kyung-Eun, Goo. The Film and Music, Literature & Intellecture, pp. 181-185, 1993.
- Hye-Seung Shin, The Study of The Compositional Techniques of Alex North, Proceedings of The KAIS Spring Conference, pp. 531-534, 2010.
- David Raksin, Liner notes for Laura, RCA ARL1-1490, 1986, pp
- Gilles Mouelic, Translated by Park Ji Hee, Michel Cion The Film Music, Ehwa University Press, pp. 78-81, 2006.
- Roger Manbel.John Huntley, translated by Choi Chang Kwon. The Art of Film Music-The Function of Music in Film, Film Promotion Public Corporation, pp. 36-57, 1990.
- Gilles Mouelic, Translated by Park Ji Hee, Michel Cion The Film Music, Ehwa Univesity Press, p. 64, 2006.
- George Burt. The Art of Film Music, Northeastern Univ. Press, p. 170, 1994.
- Kyung-Eun, Goo. The Film and Music, Literature & Intellecture, p. 182, 1993.
- George Burt. The Art of Film Music, Northeastern Univ. Press, p. 86, 1994.