- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Factors Influencing Swallowing-related Quality of Life in Patients with Dysphagia
연하장애 환자의 삶의 질 영향 요인
- Kim, Ju-Yeun (Department of Nursing, Daewon University College)
- 김주연 (대원대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2016.10.12
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
The purpose of this study was to identify the influence of depression, social isolation, and meaning in life on the swallowing related quality of life in patients with dysphagia. In this study, 87 the dysphagia patients diagnosed with stroke, degenerative disease, and neurological disorder in a general or rehabilitation hospital in Seoul, Gyeonggi, and Incheon were assessed. The data were collected between February and April, 2015 using CES-D, RULS, PIL, SWAL-QOL. The data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation, and stepwise multiple regression with SPSS 22.0. Of the participants, 20.7% reported having had depression, 92.0% middle-high social isolation and 64.4% existential vacuum. The mean scores were SWAL- QOL 158.89(35.97). Stepwise multiple regression revealed that tube feeding to have the greatest effect on SWAL-QOL(
Depression;Dysphagia;Meaning in Life;Social Isolation;Swallowing related Quality of Life
- L. S. Radoloff, "The CES-D scale: A self report depression scale for research in the general population," Applied Psychological Measurement, vol. 1, pp. 385-401, 1977. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/014662167700100306 https://doi.org/10.1177/014662167700100306
- K. K. Chon, S. C. Choi, V. C. Yang, "Integrated adapation of CES-D in Korea," Korean Journal of Health Psychology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 59-76, 2001.
- D. Russell, L. A. Peplau, C. E. Cutrona, "The revised UCLA loneliness scale: concurrent and discriminant validity evidence," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 472-480, 1980. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.522 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2062
- O. K. Kim, "Korean version of the revised UCLA loneliness scale," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 871-879, 1997.
- G. Perry, "Loneliness and coping among tertiary level adult cancer patients in the home," Cancer Nursing, vol. 13, pp. 293-302, 1990. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-199010000-00004
- J. C. Crumbaugh, L. J. Maholic, "An experimental study in existentialism: The psychogenic approach to Frankl's concept of noogenic neurosis," Journal of Clinical Psychology, vol. 20, pp. 200-207, 1964. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-4679(196404)20:2<200::AID-JCLP2270200203>3.0.CO;2-U https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-4679(196404)20:2<200::AID-JCLP2270200203>3.0.CO;2-U
- J. J. Lee, "An Effect of Nursing-logotherapy on purpose in life and finding meaning and hope of mental illness" [dissertation], Gyeong Buk: Gyeong Buk university, 1995.
- Y. O. Yeo, E. K. Yoo, "The relationship among depression, self esteem and ADL in the case of the hospitalized elderly patients with chronic disease," Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 676-686, 2010.
- Tanner D, Medical-legal and forensic aspects of co mmunication disorders, voice prints, and speaker profiling. 1st Edition, p. 347, Tucson, AZ: Lawyers and Judges, 2007.
- L. Sura, A. Madhavan, G. Carnaby, M. A. Crary, "Dysphagia in the elderly: management and nutritional considerations," Clinical Interventions in Aging, vol. 7, pp. 287-298, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2147/CIA.S23404 https://doi.org/10.2147/CIA.S23404
- M. F. Steger, P. Frazier, S. Oishi, M. Kaler, "The meaning in life questionnaire: Assessing the presence of and search for meaning in life," Journal of Counseling Psychology, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 80-93, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0220.127.116.11 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-018.104.22.168
- J. Dezutter, S. Casalin, A. Wachholtz, K. Luyckx, J. Hekking, W. Vandewiele, "Meaning in life: An important factor for the psychological wellbeing of chronically ill patients?," Rehabilitation Psychology, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 334 -341, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/a0034393 https://doi.org/10.1037/a0034393
- C. L. Park, D. Edmondson, J. R. Fenster, T. O. Blank, "Positive and negative health behavior change in cancer survivors," Journal of Health Psychology, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 1198-1206, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1359105308095978 https://doi.org/10.1177/1359105308095978
- C. A. McHorney, D. E. Bricker, A. E. Kramer, J. C. Rosenbek, J. Robbins, K. A. Chignell KA, C. Clarke, "The SWAL-QOL outcomes tool for oropharyngeal dysphagia in adults: I. Conceptual foundation and item development" Dysphagia, vol. 15, pp. 115-121, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s004550010012 https://doi.org/10.1007/s004550010012
- T. H. Cha, "Study on the reliability and validity of the Korean Swallowing-quality of life questionnaire (KSWAL-QOL)" [dissertation], Seoul :Yeonsei University, 2014.
- L. Perry, C. P. Love, "Screening for dysphagia and aspiration in acute stroke: A systemic review," Dysphagia, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 7-18, 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/PL00021290 https://doi.org/10.1007/PL00021290
- M. S. Dennis, S. C. Lewis, C. Warlow, "Effect of timing and method of enteral tube feeding for dysphagic stroke patients(FOOD): a multicentre randomised controlled trial" Lancet, vol. 365, pp. 764-772, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)70999-5
- A. Brotherton, J. Abbott, P. Aggett, "The impact of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy feeding upon daily life in adults," The British Dietetic Association, vol. 19, pp. 355-367, 2006.
- J. Y. Kim, Y. W. Lee, E. Y. Cho, H. W. Kang, "The phenomenological study on the experience of nasogastric tube feeding among cerebral stroke patients with dysphagia," Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 592-602, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.5.592 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.5.592
- O. Ekberg, S. Hmady, A. Wuttge-Hanning, P. Ortege, "Social and psychological burden of dysphagia: Its im pact on diagnosis and treatment," Dysphagia, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 139-146, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-001-0113-5 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-001-0113-5
- L. P. Leow, M. L. Huckabee, T. Anderson, L. Beckert, "The impact of dysphagia on quality of life in ageing and Parkinson's disease as measured by the swallowing quality of life (SWAL-QOL) questionnaire," Dysphagia, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 216-220, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-009-9245-9 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-009-9245-9
- E. K. Plowman-Prine,C. M. Sapienza, S. L. Pollock, C. Jacobson, S. S. Wu, J. C. Rosenbek, "The relationship between quality of life and swallowing in Parkinson's disease," Movement Disorder Society, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 1352-1358, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.22617 https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.22617
- G. Paris, O. Martinaud, A. Petit, A. Cuvelier, D. Hannequin, P. Roppeneck, E. Verin, "Oropharyngeal dysphagia in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis alters quality of life," Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, vol. 40, pp. 199-204, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/joor.12019 https://doi.org/10.1111/joor.12019
- J. Critchlow, S. M. Bauer-Wu, "Dehydration in terminally ill patients: Perceptions of longterm care nurse," Journal of Gerontological Nursing, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 31-39, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3928/0098-9134-20021201-07 https://doi.org/10.3928/0098-9134-20021201-07
- Frankl V, Lee SH, translator, The will to meaning: foundation and application of logotherapy, Plume Edition, pp. 266, Gyeonggi-do:Chung A, 2012.
- S. O. Choi, S. N. Kim, K. I. Shin, J. J. Lee, J. Yang, "Development of elderly meaning in life(EMIL) scale," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 414-424, 2003. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.3.414
- E. S. Park, J. A. Park, "Research trends and implications in meaning in life," Ewha Journal of Social Science, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 268-299, 2013.