- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Design of Supersonic Wind Tunnel for Analysis of Flow over a Backward Facing Step with Slot Injection
슬롯 분사가 있는 후향계단 유동장 분석을 위한 초음속풍동 설계
- Kim, Ick-Tae (Department of Mechatronics, Chosun College of Science & Technology)
- 김익태 (조선이공대학교 메카트로닉스과)
- Received : 2016.09.30
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
A test section of a supersonic wind tunnel was designed for the analysis of flow characteristics over a backward-facing step with Mach 1.0 slot injection in a supersonic flow of Mach 2.5. The cavity flow of a high-speed vehicle is very complex at supersonic speed, so it is necessary to do experiments using supersonic wind tunnels to verify numerical analysis methods. The previous 2D symmetrical nozzle was replaced with an asymmetrical nozzle. The inviscid nozzle contour was designed using Method of Characteristics (MOC), and the boundary layer thickness correction was reflected by experimental data from the wind tunnel. The results were compared with a CFD analysis. The PID control system was changed to be based on the change of tank pressure. This improved the control efficiency, and the run times of supersonic flow increased by about 1 second. The flow characteristics over a backward facing step with slot injection were visualized by a Schlieren device. This equipment will be used for an experimental study of the film cooling effectiveness over a cavity with various velocities, mass flows, and temperatures.
Backward Facing Step;MOC;Supersonic Nozzle;Slot Injection;Supersonic Wind Tunnel
- O. H. Rho, Compressible Fluid Dynamics, pp. 130-154, 286-290, Huijungdang, 1997.
- J. R. Kim, "A Study on Performance Characteristics of Center-body Diffuser with Counter-flow Jet", Chosun University, pp. 86-93, 2016.
- J. R. Kim, J. S. Kim, "Numerical Study of Unsteady Supersonic Flow behind a Rearward-Facing Step with Slot Injection", KSAS, 31-1, pp. 97-103, 2003.
- J. W. Song, S. K. Park, T. H. Kim, J. Y. Bae, H. H. Cho, K. J. Jung, "A Study of Flow Control in Backward-Facing Step using Plasma", KSFM, pp. 20-21, 2011.
- J. I. Lee, "Active Flow Control Technology for Vortex Stabilization on Backward-Facing Step", IEIE, 50-1, pp. 246-253, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5573/ieek.2013.50.1.246 https://doi.org/10.5573/ieek.2013.50.1.246
- C. C. Li, Y. C. Lin, M. C. Hsieh, "3-D Simulation of External Cooling of Aero-optical Side Window", IEEE 3rd International Conference, pp. 214-218, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/iccsn.2011.6014883 https://doi.org/10.1109/iccsn.2011.6014883
- J. C. Crown and W. H. Heybey, "Supersonic Nozzle Design", US Naval Ordnance Laboratory, NOLM 10594, 1950.
- F. R. Menter, M. Kuntz, R. Langtry, "Ten Years of Industrial Experienct with the SST Turbulence Model", Turbulence, Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 4, pp. 625-632, 2003.
- KOMI, "Schlieren Optic System", http://www.komiweb.co.kr (accessed Sep. 30, 2016)