- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
A Study on Perception and Nursing Activity for Patient Safety of Operating Room Nurses
수술실 간호사의 환자안전의식과 안전관리활동
- Park, So-Jeong (Department of Nursing, Yeungnam University Yeongcheon Hospital) ;
- Choi, Eun-Hee (School of Nursing, Yeungnam University College) ;
- Lee, Kyeong-Soo (Department of Preventive Medicine, Yeungnam University Medical Center) ;
- Chung, Kwi-Ae (School of Nursing, Yeungnam University College)
- Received : 2016.08.09
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
This study aimed to investigate the awareness and performance of safety in operating room nurses. There were 161 operating room nurses from eight general hospitals included for analysis in this study. The data were analyzed with t-test, one-way ANOVA, correlation analysis, and Scheffe's test. The results show that their perception of patient safety was 3.33 out of a total of 5 points. Moreover, the score of safety management activity for patients in the operating room was 4.28 out of 5 points. As the perception of patient safety in operating room nurses was significantly correlated with their safety management activities, nurses with higher awareness of patient safety were found to have higher degree of performance of safety management activities. In conclusion, to improve safety management activities, open discussion about patient safety should be encouraged and periodic education regarding patient safety should be implemented for operating room nurses to increase the perception of patient safety.
Nursing activity;Operating room;Patient;Perception;Safety
- J. E. Kim, K. E. An, S. H. Yun, "Nurses Perception of the Hospital Environment and Communication Process related to Patient Safety in Korea," Journal of Korean Society of Medical Informatics, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 130-135, 2004.
- J. Jung, Y. J. Seo, E. W. Nam, "Factors Affecting Patient Safety Management Activities at Nursing Divisions of Two University Hospitals," Korean Journal of Hospital Management, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 91-109, 2006.
- Korea Institute for Healthcare Accreditation. Standard of healthcare accreditation, Available From http://www.koiha.kr/member/kr/board/establish/establish_BoardList.do (accessed Mar., 29, 2016)
- J. S. No, Patients who do not need dead are annually dying 40,000, Available From http://www.sisapress.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=54194 (accessed Mar., 29, 2016)
- E. H. Kim, H. J. Kim, E. J. Bae, K. A. Yang, J. H. Yun, Y. M. Lee, S. G. Lee, Y. Y. Jung, B. Yu, S. I. Lee, "Perception of Patient Safety in the Hospital" Spring Training of Korean Society for Quality in Health Care, Available From: http://www.kosqua.net/contest_data/board_list_01.asp
- Institute of Medicine of the National Academies. To Error is Human: Building a Safer Health System, Available From: http://iom.edu/Reports/1999/To-Err-is-Human-Building-A-Safer-Health-System.asp
- National Patient Safety Agency. Improving Patient care, 2011. Available From: http://www.npsa.nhs.uk/corporate/
- Korea Legislation Research Institute. Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Act of 2005, 1, 32-35, 2007. Available From: http://www.klri.re.kr/kor/publication/pubReportSmallView.do?seq=1&tseq=204&sseq=591&gbn=B&typeCd=N
- K. H. Lee, Y. S. Shin, H. K. Park, J. O. Park, I. S. Seung, "The Influence of the Awareness of Patient Safety Culture on Safety Care Activities among Operating Room Nurses," Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 204-214, 2011.
- World Health Organization. Safe surgery saves lives: The second global patient safety challenge, 2008. Available From: http://www.who.int/patientsafety/safesurgery/en/index.html
- Korea Consumer Protection Board. Consumer damage relief and case book in 2010. Available From http://www.kca.go.kr/brd/m_377/list.do
- M. H. Nam, S. H. Kang, "The Cognition Level on the Patient Safety and Safe Nursing Activities amon Hospital Nurses in Busan," Journal of Korean Association of Health and Medical Sociology, 28, pp. 197-221, 2010.
- S. J. Park, J. Y. Kang, Y. O. Lee, "A Study on Hospital Nurses' Perception of Patient Safety Culture and Safety Care Activity," Journal of Korean Critical Care Nursing, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 44-55, 2012.
- H. Y. Yang, A Study on the Effect of Perception of Hospital Nurses Toward the Patient Safety Culture on the Safety Nursing Activity-Focusing on Suncheon Region, Unpublished master thesis, Sunchon National University. 2009.
- Y. J. Lee, Patient Safety Culture and Management Activities Perceived by Hospital Nurses, Master thesis, Eulji University. 2011.
- J. H. Choi, K. M. Lee, M. A. Lee, "Relationship between Hospital Nurses' Perceived Patient Safety Culture and Their Safety Care Activities," The Korean Journal of Fundamental of Nursing, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 64-72, 2010.
- A. R. Choi, Nurses's Perception of Patient Safety Culture and Safety Management Activity in Intensive Care Units, Master thesis, Yonsei University. 2010.
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. Lang, A. Buchner, "A Flexible Statistical Power Analysis Program for the Social, Behavioral, and Biomedical Sciences," Behavior Research Methods, vol. 39, pp. 175-191, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146 https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- J. S. Kim, J. S. Kim, "Importance awareness and Compliance on Patient Safety for Nurses Working in Operating Rooms," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 12, no. 12, pp. 5748-5758, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.12.5748 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.12.5748
- Agency for Health Research and Quality: Hospital Survey on Patient Safety, 2004. Available From: http://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/quality-patient-safety/patientsafetyculture/resources/index.html
- Korea Health Industry Development Institute. Guidelines for Hospital Evaluation Program, Available From: http://www.khidi.or.kr/board/view?linkId=102285&menuId=MENU00099
- E. O. Lee, N. Y. Lim, H. A. Park, I. S. Lee, J. I. Kim, J. I. Bae, S. M. Lee, "Nursing research and statistical analysis" Seoul:Soomoonsa, 2009.
- E. Y. Yu, S. J. Jung, "Analysis of Doctors' Cognition of Patient Safety at General Hospitals" Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 13, No. 6, pp. 2607-2616, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.6.2607 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.6.2607
- Y. R. Yeun, "The Impact of Healthcare Accrediatin on Patient Safety and Quality, Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment: about a General Hospital," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 1820-1829, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.4.1820 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.4.1820
- S. K. Kim, H. J. Lee, E. G. Oh, "Perceived Level and Associated Factors of Patient Safety Culture among Health Care Providers in an Operating Room," Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 57-67, 2010.
- J. E. Kim, M. A. Kang, K. E. An, Y. H. Sung, "A Study of Nurses' Perception of Patient Safety related to Hospital Culture and Reports of Medical Errors," Clinical Nursing Research, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 169-179, 2007.
- J. M. Lee, S. J. Hong, M. H. Park, "Perception of patient safety culture and safety care activity among ICU nurses," Crisisonomy, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 273-29. 2013
- J. S. Hwang, S. Y. Lee, Y. J. Jeon, H. O. Lee, Y. N. Kwak, J. O. Lee, " A descriptive study of military nurses' perception on patient safety culture and their performance on patient safety nursing," Journal of Military Nursing Research, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 92-104.
- Patient Safety Care Activity in Small-Medium Sized Hospital Nurses Patient Safety Care Activity among Nurses in Small-Medium Sized General Hospitals vol.21, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2018.51