- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
An Exploratory Study on the Effects of Innovation and Business Performance of CEO's Internal and External Activities
CEO의 내·외부 활동이 혁신과 경영성과에 미치는 영향에 대한 탐색적 연구
- Choi, Sung-Pyo (Department of Human Resource Development, Korea University of Technology and Education) ;
- Uh, Soo-Bong (Department of Industrial Management, Korea University of Technology and Education)
- Received : 2016.09.23
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
This study conducts statistical analysis based on a survey of 300 CEOs from Korean companies in order to examine the effects of a CEO's internal?external activities (information, knowledge management, learning organization) on business innovation activity (exploitative, exploratory) and business performance. Analysis results show that learning organization activity had a significant positive (+) effect on exploitative and exploratory innovation activity. In addition, knowledge management activity lacked statistically significant effects on exploratory innovation activity. Furthermore, exploitative and exploratory innovation activity was affected by CEO's internal?external activities (information, knowledge management, learning organization) and had a significant positive (+) effect on company's business performance. but it was shown that the level of influence was different. Results of this study imply that maximizing business performance through developing innovation activity by CEO's internal?external activities (information, knowledge management, learning organization) in the company, extracting activity advantageous to company's business environment based on activity perceived in the precedent study and business strategy becomes advantageous to the attainment of business performance objectives.
Supported by : 한국기술교육대학교
- K. Matsuno, J. T. Mentzer, A. Ozsomer, "The effects of entrepreneurial proclivity and market orientation on business performance", Journal of marketing, 66(3), pp. 18-32, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.22.214.171.12407 https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.126.96.36.19907
- S. F. Slater, J. C. Narver, "Market orientation and the learning organization", Journal of Marketing, 59(3), 63-74, 1995. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/1252120 https://doi.org/10.2307/1252120
- R. A. Swanson, E. F Holton, Foundations of human resource development, San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler, 2001.
- J. H. Hong, Y. S. Cho, H. H. Park, J. Choi, "The Impact of CEO Business Propensity, Innovation Orientation and Employee Innovation Activity on Business Performances: Focused on the Small, Medium and Venture Enterprises", Journal of Product Research, 30(7), pp. 19-32, 2012.
- J. E. Prescott, "The evolution of competitive intelligence", International Review of Strategic Management, 6, pp. 71-90, 1995.
- R. I. Simon, C. Eppert, M. Clamen, L. Beres, "Witness as study: The difficult inheritance of testimony", The Review of Education/Pedagogy/ Cultural Studies, 22(4), pp. 285-322, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/1071441000220402
- H. Martre, P. Clerc, C. Harbulot, "Intelligence economique et strategie des entreprises", Rapport du commissariat general au Plan, Paris, La documentation francaise, 17, 1994.
- P. Levy, L'intelligence collective: pour une anthropologie du cyberspace, Ed. La Decouverte, 1997.
- D. Uzunidis, L'innovation et l'economie contemporaine: espaces cognitifs et territoriaux, De Boeck Superieur, 2004.
- P. Carayonm, "Human factors of complex socio technical systems", Applied ergonomics, 37(4), pp. 525-535, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2006.04.011 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2006.04.011
- Committee of Informaion Management in Daelim Information and Communications, This is the Point of the Information Management, Seoul: Chang-Hae, 1999.
- I. S. Kim, S. M. Shin, "A Structural Analysis of Knowledge Management Activities, Teacher Professionalism, and Social Exchange Relations", The Journal of Educational Administration, 31(3), pp. 153-174, 2013.
- D. A. Garvin, "Building a learning organization", Harvard Business Review, 71(4), pp. 78-91, 1993.
- R. M. Kanter, "When a thousand flowers bloom: Structural, collective, and social conditions for innovation in organization", Entrepreneurship: the social science view, pp. 167-210, 2000.
- J. Galbraith, "Designing the Innovating Organization", Organizational Dynamics, 11(3), pp. 5-25, 1982. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-2616(82)90033-X https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-2616(82)90033-X
- S. G.Scott, R. A. Bruce, "Determinants of innovative behavior: A path model of individual innovation in the workplace", Academy of Management Journal, 37(3), pp. 580-607, 1994. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/256701 https://doi.org/10.2307/256701
- R. Deshpande, J. U. Farley, & F. E. Webster, "Corporate Culture, Customer Orientation, and Innovativeness in Japanese Firms: A Quadrad Analysis", Journal of Marketing, 57(1), pp. 23-37, 1993. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/1252055 https://doi.org/10.2307/1252055
- R. F. Hurley, G. T. Hult, "Innovation, Market Orientation and Organizational Learning: An Integration and Empirical Examination", Journal of Marketing, 62, pp. 42-54, 1998. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/1251742 https://doi.org/10.2307/1251742
- P. M. Senge, The fifth discipline: art and practice of the learning organization, New York: Double day, 1990.
- W. E. Baker, J. M. Sinkula, "Market Orientation, Learning Orientation and Product Innovation: Delving Inside the Organization's Black Box", Journal of Market Focused Management, 5(1), pp. 5-23, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1012543911149 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1012543911149
- F. Liao, A. Liu, "Relationships between knowledge inertia, organizational learning and organizational innovation", Technovation, 28(4), pp. 183-195, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2007.11.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2007.11.005
- M. Gloet, M. Terziovski, "Exploring therelationship between knowledge management practices and innovation performance", Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 15(5), pp. 402-409, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/17410380410540390 https://doi.org/10.1108/17410380410540390
- M. Gilbert, M. Cordey-Hayes, "Understanding the process of knowledge transfer to achieve successful technological innovation", Technovation, 16(6), pp. 301-312, 1996. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0166-4972(96)00012-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/0166-4972(96)00012-0
- D. I. Prajogo, D. J. Power, A. S. Sohal, "The role of trading partner relation ships in determining innovation performance: An empirical examination", European Journal of Innovation Management, 7(3), pp. 178-186, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/14601060410549874 https://doi.org/10.1108/14601060410549874
- D. Leonard, A. Sensiper, "The Role of Tacit Knowledge in Group Innovation", California Management Review, 40(3), pp. 112-132, 1998. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/41165946 https://doi.org/10.2307/41165946
- J. D. Miller, "The measurement of civic scientific literacy", Public understanding of science, 7(3), pp. 203-223, 1998. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1088/0963-6625/7/3/001 https://doi.org/10.1088/0963-6625/7/3/001
- I. A. Nonaka, "Dynamic theory of organizational knowledge creation", Organization science, 5(1), pp. 14-37, 1994. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.5.1.14 https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.5.1.14
- B. Besson, J. L. Levet, M. Fourez, D. Fonviel, J. P. Lionnet, "Le modele AFDIE d'intelligence economique", Economica, 2004.
- S. Larivet, "La realite de l'intelligence economique enpme, These de doctoraten sciences de gestion", Universite de Toulon et du Var, 2002.
- J. L. Levet, "L'intelligence Economique - Mode de pensee, Mode d'action", Economica, Paris, 2001.
- Y. C. Lee, "Social Capital, Knowledge Management, and Organizational Performance", The Journal of Information Systems, 16(4), pp. 223-241, 2007.
- M. S. Heo, M. J. Cheon, "Relationships among Learning Organization, "Knowledge Management Activity, and Work Performance: A Comparative Analysis of Models", Korean Managemnet Review, 38(6), pp. 1467-1504, 2009.
- K. D. Chin, E. S. Choi, "Relationship of Activities of Learning Organization on Organizational Performance in the manufacturing and non-manufacturing industries", Journal of Corporate Education, 10(1), pp. 1-26, 2008.
- B. Yang, K. E. Watkins, V. J. Marsick, "The construct of the learning organization: Dimensions, measurement, and validation", Human Resources Development Quarterly, 15(1), pp. 31-55, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/hrdq.1086 https://doi.org/10.1002/hrdq.1086
- J. Rhee, J. M Lee, I. H Jung, "Relationships between Activities of Learning Organizations and Transfer of Learning to the Jobs and Innovativeness:Focused on the Moderating Effects of Self-Regulated Learning", Management Education Review, 57, pp. 183-207, 2009.
- O. Janssen, "Job demands, perceptions of effort- reward fairness and innovative work behaviour", Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 73(2), pp. 287-302, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1348/096317900167038 https://doi.org/10.1348/096317900167038
- D. M. Yang, D. S. Shim, "The Effects of Transformational Leadership on In-Role Behavior, OCB and Innovative Behavior: The Mediating Effects of Personal Identification and Social Identification", Korean Managemnet Review, 42(1), pp. 121-152, 2013.
- V. Govindarajan, J. Fisher, Strategy, "Control systems, and resource sharing: Effects on business-unit performance", Academy of Management Journal, 33(2), pp. 259-285, 1990. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/256325 https://doi.org/10.2307/256325
- A. K. Gupta, "SBU strategies, corporate-SBU relations, and SBU effectiveness in strategy implementation", Academy of Management Journal, 30(3), pp. 477-500, 1987. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/256010 https://doi.org/10.2307/256010
- F. E. Webster, "Rediscovering The Marketing Concept", Business Horizons, 31(3), pp. 29-39, 1988. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0007-6813(88)90006-7 https://doi.org/10.1016/0007-6813(88)90006-7
- G. C. O'Connor, "Market Learning and Radical Innovation: A Cross Case Comparison of Eight Radical Innovation Projects", Journal of Product Innovation Management, 15(2), pp. 151-166, 1998. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/1540-5885.1520151 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0737-6782(97)00078-7
- J. K. Han, N. Kim, & R. K. Strivastava, "Market Orientation and organisational performance: Is innovation a missing link", Journal of Marketing, 62(4), pp. 30-45, 1998. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/1252285 https://doi.org/10.2307/1252285
- B. G. Kim, "An Study on the Role of Organizational Learning in the Technology Planning: An Empirical Study of Technology Planning on National R&D Program", Journal of Technology Innovation, 21(1), pp. 303-330, 2013.
- C. K. Lee, "The Relationships Between the Exploration Learning and the Exploitation Learning and Organizational Performance", Journal of Vocational Education & Training, 15(1), pp. 1-23, 2012.
- S. J. Hong, Yun-Seock Lee, "Importance and Utilization Strategy for Company & Research Institute", Journal of Korean Powder Metallurgy Institute, 20(5), pp. 388-395, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4150/KPMI.2013.20.5.388 https://doi.org/10.4150/KPMI.2013.20.5.388