- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Production Process Development and Prototype Evaluation for Roller Tappet Housing of Valvetrain
밸브트레인용 롤러태핏 하우징의 제작 공정 개발 및 시제품 평가
- Gwak, Eun-Jo (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Graduate School, Kongju National University) ;
- Park, Sung-Young (Div. of Mechanical & Automotive Engineering, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2016.08.09
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
In this study, a cold forging process was developed for the roller tappet housing of an engine valvetrain system. A tappet sample was manufactured and subjected to an endurance test. The material properties were obtained from a compression test, and forging analysis was carried out to design a forging process using a commercial program, Deform-3D. The forging process was set up based on the analysis results, and a die set and sample tappet housing were manufactured. To evaluate the sample, the dimensional accuracy, surface roughness, parallelism, and concentricity were measured and confirmed. To evaluate the actuation and durability, a special test rig was developed to simulate the valvetrain system of the engine. An actuation test was performed based on the idle speed of a general diesel engine, and an endurance test was done based on the maximum speed. The results show minor wear of 0.002 mm. The developed test rig will be used to evaluate the actuation and durability of other valvetrain parts.
Cold Forging;Forming Analysis;Tappet housing;Process Development;Prototype evaluation
- J. H. Nam, S. H. Jung, T. W. Jung, Y. S. Lee, "Study on New Process for Precision Forging of Helical Gear," Transaction of the Korean Society For Technology of Plasticity, pp. 107-110, 2010.
- M. E. Crane, R. C. Meyer, "A Process to Predict Friction in an Automotive Valve Train," SAE 901728, 1990. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4271/901728
- D. C. Han, M. R. Cho, "The Characteristics of Friction in Direct Acting OHC Valve Train System," J. of KSTLE, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 23-27, 1998.
- B. H. Lee, S. Y. Park, "Development of E-100 Fuel Pump lower Housing Using Cold Forging Process," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 14-20, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.1.14 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.1.14
- B. H. Lee, S. Y. Park, " Development of LPI Vehicle Fuel Filter Housing," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 653-659, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.2.653 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.2.653
- DEFORM User's Manual V11.0, Scientific Forming Technologies Cooperation., 2016.
- MatWeb, Material Property Data: AISI 1045 Steel, http://www.matweb.com., 2016.
- J. T. Staron, P. A. Willermet, "An Analysis of valve Train Friction in Terms of Lubrication Principles," SAE Trans., Vol. 1, pp. 1625-1639, 1983. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4271/830165
- C. M. Taylor, "Engine Tribology," Elsevier Science Publishers. Tribology Series 26, 1993.