- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Usability Evaluation Checklisks of Software GUI on Weapon System
무기체계 소프트웨어 GUI에 대한 사용성 평가 체크리스트 개발
- Kim, Du-Jeong (ILS(Integrated Logistics Support) R&D Lab, LIG Nex1) ;
- Cho, Hyun-Su (ILS(Integrated Logistics Support) R&D Lab, LIG Nex1) ;
- Kang, Tae-Ho (ILS(Integrated Logistics Support) R&D Lab, LIG Nex1)
- Received : 2016.10.10
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
As information becomes more sophisticated with the advancing technology of our times, the usability of software is considered an important factor. However, the research on usability of weapons system software graphical user interfaces (GUIs) remains insufficient. For this reason, this paper focuses on developing checklists for the usability of GUIs in weapons systems. In the first step, design principles are collected from various design guidelines on usability and from career soldiers. In the second step, a survey is conducted for factor analysis, and in the third step, factor analysis is conducted on 12 principles, with two principles excluded, as a result, due to less correlation with weapons system usability. In Step 4, the weights for design characteristics and design principles are derived using AHP. In the final step, the checklists are developed by mapping the GUI design factors and from the results of factor analysis. This research could be utilized as a foundation for usability evaluation of GUIs in weapons systems.
- Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning, "2013 Software Industry Analysis Report," pp. 5, 2013.
- Junho Park, Myeonghwan Yoon, "Development of Usability Checklist For Mobile Phone User Interface Developer," The Journal of Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers, pp. 334-341, 2005.
- Jong-Yun Moon, "The Software for Weapon system.," Korea Defense and Technology, vol. 431, pp. 60-67, 2015.
- Young-Taek Jin, Soo-Jung Ha, "A Development and Application of the Checklist for Evaluating Software Usability," The Journal of Korean Institute of CALS/EC, vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 73-85, 2001.
- Ha-Yong Lee, Hae-Sul Yang, "The Software Usability Evaluation Method with UI," The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, vol. 11, pp. 105-117, 2013
- Henrik, A; Martin, J. "Tablet application GUI usability checklist-creation of a user interface usability checklist for tablet applications," Sodertorns Hogskola, 2013.
- Defense Acquisition Program Administration, "Acquisition & Maintenance Guidelines of Weapon Embedded Software," 2011.
- Dujeong Kim et al, "Usability Evaluation Criteria of Software GUI on Weapon System," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, pp. 8691-8699, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8691
- Yong-Gu Ji, "A Survey of Usability and User-Centered Design Practice in IT Industry for Strategic Usability," IE Interfaces vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 490-498, December 2004.
- Douglas J. McConnell, Kyle M. Fargen, J Mocco, "Surgical checklists: A detailed review of their emergence, development, and relevance to neurosurgical practice," Surg Neurol Int, pp 2-3, 2012
- Na-Young Kim, "Study on the Visual Factors of UI Design," Master's Thesis, Chung-Ang University, pp. 11-20, 2014
- Yong-Gu Ji et al., "The Development of Usability Evauation Checklists for Tangible User Interface Prototype," Ergonomics Society Korea, Vol 7, pp. 73-76, 2007
- Sanghyo Lee et al., "Usability Evaluation Method for SOA Software," The Journal of Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers, pp. 1575-1584, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2009.10.7.1575
- Jacob Nielsen, "Usability Engineering," Academic Press, 1993.
- ISO 9241-11, "Ergonomic requirements for office work with visual display terminals," 1998.
- ISO/IEC 9126, "Information Technology - software product evaluation," 1991.