- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
A Study on an Impedance Matching Technique for Rail Power Line Communication
레일 전력선통신을 위한 임피던스 정합방안 연구
- Seo, Ill-Kwon (Graduate School of Transportation, KNUT) ;
- Ahn, Seung-Ho (Department of Railroad Operation System Engineering, KNUT) ;
- Kim, Chul-Su (Department of Railway Vehicle System, KNUT)
- Received : 2016.09.29
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
An auxiliary real-time train communications system among drivers, train-traffic controllers and field workers is necessary to share hazard information (i.e. rockfall detection, track maintenance) in low visibility zones (long tunnels and steep curved track). To develop the appropriate communication system, this paper proposes a new way of power line communication using the rail track (Rail - PLC), which has little noise and distortion of attenuation. Therefore, it is important to measure the impedance of the rail and to apply an impedance matching technique to increase the transmission characteristic of the Rail - PLC. This study would evaluate the reflection and the transmission characteristics of the rail using a network analyzer and an impedance matching transformer. The suitable impedance matching ratio was 1:3.28 from the result of back-to-back testing. The results confirmed that the transformer can improve the performance of the transmission signal in Rail - PLC using an impedance matching technique.
Impedance;Rail Power Line Communication;Reflection Characteristics;Train Communications System;Transmission Characteristics
Supported by : 국토교통부
- J. M. Kim, Y. S. Kim, S. H. Ahn, H. J. Lee, J. G. Lee, "A Study on the Network Design of Electric Railway for Power Line Communication," J. of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, vol. 11, no. 10 pp. 3756-3760, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.10.3756 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.10.3756
- J. J. Lee, Y. J. Park, H. M. Oh, K. H. Kim, D. Y. Lee, "Development of Signal Coupler for Power Line Communication over Medium Voltage Distribution Line," The Trans. of the Korean IEEE (D), vol. 54, pp. 409-416, 2005.
- J. J. Lee, J. H. Yu, C. S. Hong, D. Y. Lee, "Impedance Measurement and Matching Technique for Medium-Voltage Powerline Communication," The Transaction of The Korean IEEE (D), vol. 53, no. 5 pp. 345-352, 2004.
- M. Gotz, M. Rap, D. K. Dostert, "Power Line Channel Characteristics and Their Effect on Communication System Design," IEEE Communication Magazine, vol. 42, pp. 78-86, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2004.1284933
- Y, S, Kim, J. C. Kim, "Characteristic Impedances in Low-Voltage Distribution Systems for Power Line Communication," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 29-34, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2007.2.1.029 https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2007.2.1.029
- J. M. Kim, Y. S. Kim, S. H. Ahn, C. S. Kim, "The Characteristic of Data Transmission for Power Line Communication using an AC Arrester for Electric Railway," Trans. KIEE. vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 497-502, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5370/kiee.2012.61.3.497