- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
The influencing factors of Optimism and Emotional Intelligence on Depression among undergraduate students
대학생의 낙관성, 감성지능이 우울에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Ha-na (Department of Nursing, Hanzhong University)
- 이하나 (한중대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2016.09.06
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
This study quantified optimism, emotional intelligence, and depression levels, and explored potential key factors affecting the depression level in undergraduate students. We performed a survey targeting undergraduate students in two Universities at D city and S city, between April 8th and 30th of 2016. After receiving informed consent, a total of 166 university students were recruited. They were asked to fill in a self-reported questionnaire about optimism, emotional-intelligence, and depression. The data were analyzed through descriptive statistics, Pearson's correlation coefficient, and multiple regression analysis using IBM SPSS version 22.0. The data analysis results showed that the mean score for optimism was
Emotional Intelligence;Depression;Nursing student;Optimism;Undergraduate student
- O. S. Lee, M. O. Gu, "The Relationship between Emotional intelligence and Communication skill, Clinical competence & Clinical practice stress in Nursing Students," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 14, no. 6 pp. 2749-2759, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2749 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2749
- J. Por, L. Barriball, J. Fitzpatrick, J. Roberts, "Emotional intelligence: Its relationship to stress, coping, well-being and professional performance in nursing students," Nurse Education Today, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 855-860, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2010.12.023 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2010.12.023
- S. J. Yu, M. R. Song, E. M. Kim, "Factors Influencing Depression among Nursing Students," Journal of Korean Academi Society Nursing Education, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 71-80, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.71 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.71
- J. E. Song, H. J. Chae, "Differences in Stress and Stress Coping Strategies according to Emotional Intelligence in Nursing Students," Journal of Korean Academy Society Nursing Education, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 502-512, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.502 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.502
- J. W. Lee, "The Relationship among Daily Stress, Optimism and Psychological Well-Being of College Students," Unpublished master's thesis, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, 2012.
- I. J. Park, W. S. Choi, A. H. Kim, "The Effects of Undergraduate's Optimism and Family-control on Their Awareness of Caregiving for the Elderly," Journal of Korean Association of Human Ecology, vol. 17, no. 41, pp. 13-26, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2008.17.1.013 https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2008.17.1.013
- E. C. Chang, L. J. Sanna, "Experience of life hassles and psychological adjustment among adolescents: Does it make a difference if one is optimistic or pessimistic?," Personality and Individual Differences, vol. 34, pp. 867-879, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(02)00077-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(02)00077-6
- B. Goodin, S. Bier, L. McGuire, "Dispositional optimism buffers the negative influence of catastrophizing on pain response," The Journal of Pain, vol. 10, S68, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2009.01.236
- M. Hanssen, L. M. G. Vancleef, M. L. Peters, "Dispositional optimism protects against a negative health threatening interpretation bias," European Journal of Pain, vol. 13, S285, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s1090-3801(09)60954-x
- C. S. Wong, K. S. Law, "The effects of leader and follow emotional intelligence on performance and attitude: An exploratory study". The Leadership Quarterly, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 243-274, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(02)00099-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(02)00099-1
- P. N. Lopes, M. A. Brackeet, J. B. Nezleck, A. Schutz, I. Sellin, P. Salovey, "Emotional intelligence and social interaction," Personality and Social Psychological, vol. 30, pp. 1018-1034, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0146167204264762 https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167204264762
- J. D. Mayer, D. R. Caruso, P. Salovey, "Emotional intelligence meets traditional standards for an intelligence" Intelligence, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 267-298, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0160-2896(99)00016-1
- E. J. Shin, "Emotional Intelligence, Ego Resilience, Stress in Clinical Practice of Nursing Students," Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, Daegu, 2011.
- H. J. Park, I. S. Jang, "Stress, depression, coping styles and satisfaction of clinical practice in nursing students," The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing education, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 14-23, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.014
- Y. J. Son, E. Y. Choi, Y. A. Song, "The relationship between stress and depression in nursing college students," The Korean journal of stress research, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 345-351, 2010.
- S. K. Cha, E. M. Lee, "Comparison of Stress, Depression and Suicidal Ideation between Nursing Students and Students of Other Majors," Journal of Korean Academy Society Nursing Education, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 650-658, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.650 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.650
- Y. C. Roh, S. H. Yoo, "Development and Validation of The Korean Optimism Scale," Journal of Korean Counseling Association, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 2175-2202, 2012.
- P. J. Hwang, "A Study on the Influence of An Employee's Emotional Intelligence on Organizational Effectiveness," Unpublished master's thesis, Sogang University, Seoul, 2007.
- A. T. Beck, Depression: Clinical, experimental, and theoretical aspects. New York, NY:Harper & Row, 1967.
- Y. H. Lee, J. Y. Song, "A study of the reliability and the validity of the BDI, SDS, and MMPI-D scales," Korean journal of Clinical Psychology, vol. 10, pp. 98-113, 1991.
- M. S. Yoon, H. S. Lee, "Relationship between depression, job preparing stress and suicidal ideation among college students," Journal of Korea Youth Research Association, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 109-137, 2012.
- M. T. Greenberg, J. Siegel, C. Leitch, "The nature and importance of attachment relationships to parents and peers during adolescence," Journal of youth and Adolecence, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 373-386, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02088721
- Joongangilbo "University student depression patients in their twenties," 2009.
- S. J. Cho, H. J. Jeon, J. K. Kim, T. W. Suh, S. U. Kim, B. H. Hahm, "Prevalence of suicide behavior and risk factors of suicide attempts in junior and high school adolescents," Journal of korean Neuropsychiatric Association, vol. 41, pp. 1142-1155, 2002.
- M. F. Scheier, C. S. Carver, M. W. Bridges, "Distinguishing optimism from neuroticism (and trait anxiety, self-mastery, and self-esteem): A reevaluation of the Life Orientation Test," Journal of personality and Social Psychology, vol. 67, pp. 1063-1078, 1994. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2063 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.113
- J. Lai, "Dispositional optimism buffers the impact of daily hassles on mental health in Chinese adolescents," Personality and Individual Differences, vol. 47, pp. 247-249, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2009.03.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2009.03.007
- E. C. Chang, "Optimism-pessimism and stress appraisal: Testing a cognitive interactive model of psychological adjustment in adult" Cognitive and Research, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 675-690, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1023/A:1020313427884 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1020313427884
- E. C. Chang, "Does dispositional optimism moderate the relation between perceived stress and psychological well-being?: A preliminary investigation," Personality and Individual Differences, vol. 26, pp. 1109-1120, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s0191-8869(98)00028-2