- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Development of a technology valuation method for buyers in technology transfer
기술이전을 위한 기술수요자 중심의 가치평가 방법론 개발
- Yun, DooSeob (Department of Industrial & Systems Engineering, Dongguk University) ;
- Park, Inchae (Department of Industrial & Systems Engineering, Dongguk University) ;
- Yoon, Byungun (Department of Industrial & Systems Engineering, Dongguk University)
- Received : 2016.08.03
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
Technology valuation is necessary for determining the feasibility of technology commercialization. However, existing methods focus only on technology evaluation, with limitation in sufficiently reflecting buyer viewpoint. In addition, it causes a gap between estimated value and market value. Therefore, this research suggests a new technology valuation method which focuses on the perspectives of buyers. Technology factors, buyer factors and market factors are first determined and their relationships are analyzed. Second, based on the relationships, profit projections are calculated using the discount cash flow method. Finally, profit projections for each year are discounted. The proposed method was applied using the ubiquitous home network system and audio service and illumination control method and results compared with the value of a technology valuation guide distributed by the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy. The technology valuation approach used in this research is quantitative and systematic and can be used as a decision making support tool in technology transfer, reflecting various perspectives of stakeholders.
Technology transfer;Buyer;Discounted cash flow;Technology valuation
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- So-Young Sohn, Hyoung-Ki, So, "Effective Commercialization Strategies for the R&D in the Area of Information & Communication Technology," Journal of Korean institute of industrial engineers, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 201-215, 2002.
- Seong-Geun, Lee, Seung-Jo, Ahn, Gwan-Ryul, Lee, "A Study on Technology Transfer Performances and Its Determinants of Technology Licensing Organization," Journal of the Korean regional development association, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 31-50, 2005
- Myeong-Hwan, Yun, Ju-Hwan, Lee, Yeong-Jun, Choi, "Technology Valuation : Valuation Model Based on Integrated Technology," Korean Operations Research and Management Science Society 2003 spring joint symposium, 2003.
- Myung-Hwan, Yun, Sung-Ho, Han, In-Jun, Choi, Tae-Bum, Ryu, O-Chae, Kwon, "Technology Valuation Framework and Technology Valuation System," IE interfaces, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 444-451, 2002.
- Oh-Sang, Kwon, "Valuation of New Growth Businesses by Compound Option Model: Comparison of Solar Cell, Automotive Battery, and Bio-Pharmaceutical," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 3016-3021, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.7.3016 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.7.3016
- Dong-Woo, Yang, Soo-Jung, Kim, "The study on tech. transfer problems of R&D institutions," Daehan Journal of business, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 205-227, 2008.
- Dong-Hwan, Kim, Gun-O, Jung, Jae-Ok, Kim, "An Evaluation of Venture Business by ROV," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 881-893, 2007.
- Jae-Il, Lee, Hae-Sul, Yang, "The Case on Valuation of IT Enterprise.," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 881-893, 2007.
- Dong-Hyun, Baek, Sun-Hi, Yoo, Hye-Sun, Jung, Won-Sik, Sul, Kil-Pyo, Hong, Hun, Kim, "Developing a technology valuation model and a web-based technology valuation system for promoting the technology transfer," Information Systems Review, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 123-139, 2004.
- Sang-Guk, Kim, Hyeon-U, Park, Tae-Eung, Seong, "A study for the improvement of technology valuation model through the normalization of the analysis of variance model of profit," Korea Technology Innovation Society 2013 spring symposium, pp. 151-162, 2013.
- Yeong-Chan, Lee, Seon-Ho, Jung, Min-Yong, Jung,"A Technology Valuation Model by Analytic Hierarchy Process and Throughput Accounting," Korean institute of industrial engineers Autumn symposium, pp. 56-63, 2005.
- Byeong-Hyeon, Hwang, Jae-Hun, Gu, Chan-U, Cho, Hui-Cheol, Shin, Beom-Seok, Song, Sung-Joo, Lee, "Development of Technology Evaluation Model Consider Qualitative and Quantitative Factors Using Brown-Gibson Model," Korean institute of industrial engineers Autumn symposium, pp. 609-615, 2009.
- Yong-Tae, Park, Gwang-Man, Park, "A new method for technology valuation in monetary value: procedure and application.," Technovation, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 387-394, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0166-4972(02)00099-8
- Hyun-Woo, Park,Jong-Taik, Lee, "Framework for Technology Valuation of Early Stage Technologies," Journal of Korea Technology Innovation Society, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 242-261, 2012.
- Sung-Mook, Lim, Sang-Gook, Kim, Hyun-Woo, Park, "A Study on a Conceptual Model for Technology Valuation Based on Market Approach," Journal of Korea Technology Innovation Society, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 204-231, 2015.
- Catty, James, "Guide to fair value under IFRS.," Canada: John Wiley & Sons, 2010.
- Hyun-Woo, Park, Jong-Taik, Lee, "Framework for Technology Valuation of Early Stage Technologies," Journal of Korea Technology Innovation Society, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 242-261, 2012.
- The small and Medium Business Administration, "The Survey of Technical statistics in small businesses," The small and Medium Business Administration, 2014.
- Tae-Ryong, Lee, In-Kyo, Kang, Woo-Key, Lee, "Graph-based analysis of patent claims," Korean institute of industrial engineers Spring symposium, pp. 1258-1262, 2014.
- Ji-Ni, Seo, Wan-Jong, Kim, O-Jin, Gwon, Gyeong-Ran, Noh, Ui-Seop, Jeong, "Partner of patent analysis strategic: patent information 100% using guide that learn from the examples," Korea institute of science and technology, 2006.
- Yun-Su, Lim, Su-Sik, Choi, "Case Study on the valuation of patent rights by using the real options," Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 87-111, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.mrr.0000194393.56772.62
- Gyeong-Pyo, Lee, "A study on the technology value evaluation based on patent information," p. 63, Ajou University, 2013.
- Jeong-Do, Kwon, "An Actual Proof Study on Selecting Key Patents based on Patent Index," p. 51, Hansung University, 2012.
- Ji-Youn, Lim, Chul-Young, Kim, Ja-Chul, Gu, "Analysis of Causal Relationship between Patent Indicators and Firm Performance," KOREAN MANAGEMENT SCIENCE REVIEW, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 63-74, 2011.
- Du-Hyeon, Ahn, "Research for the development of investment value analysis model of technology," Policy Data, p. 53, 2001.
- Guan, Jianch, Ning Ma, "Innovative capability and export performance of Chinese firms.," Technovation, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 737-747, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0166-4972(02)00013-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0166-4972(02)00013-5
- Yam, R. C., Guan, J. C., Pun, K. F., Tang, E. P, "An audit of technological innovation capabilities in Chinese firms: some empirical findings in Beijing, China.," Research policy, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 1123-1140, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2004.05.004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2004.05.004
- Kyung-Yun Hwang, Eul-Hyun Sung, "The Relationships between Technology Commercialization Competence, R&D Capacity, Innovation and Export Performance: In the Firms Introduced the Technology from Government-funded Research Institutes in Daedeok Innopolis," Korea trade review, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 285-309, 2015.
- Seon-Gu, Kim, Ryong-Moh, Yeon, "Effectiveness of R&D Investment on Enterprise Outcome," Korean Journal of Accounting Research, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 1-31, 2007.
- Chang-Seok, Kim, Jun-Seok, Shin, "Study on the opportunity search of the fundamental technology of the technical capabilities of the company," Korean institute of industrial engineers Autumn joint symposium, pp.1249-1258, 2013.
- Hyun-Woo, Park, "A Case Study on Technology Valuatuion of E-Commerce Patented Technologies," The Journal of Internet Electronic Commerce Resarch, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 37-58 2002.
- Chung, Hong-Jin, An, Seon-Sook, "The Effects of Fitness between Contingency Variables and System Information Characteristics on the Performance of Accounting Information System in the Medium-to-Small Enterprises," Korean Journal of Accounting Research, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 185-218, 2001.
- Jin-Bae, Kim, Mi-Ea, Chang, "Transfer Pricing Decision of Multinational Firms and a Case Study," KOREAN JOURNAL OF MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTING RESEARCH, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 139-158, 2005.
- Suk-Won, Ryu, Sang-Yun, Kim, "A Study for selection of policy tools on the impact on the small and medium-sized enterprises innovation," Korean Policy Sciences Review, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 65-90, 2010.
- Kyung-Jin, Yu, Seong-Hoon Gwon, Sung-Hwan, Song, A New Method for Calculating Degree of Technology Contribution Using DEA, Korean institute of industrial engineers fall joint symposium, pp. 601-608, 2009.
- Razgaitis, R., "Valuation and pricing of technology-based Intellectual Property," Wiley, 2003.
- Factors Affecting Pricing in Patent Licensing Contracts in the Biopharmaceutical Industry vol.10, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/su10093143