- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
A Study of Pat Metheny
Pat Metheny 연구
- Received : 2016.10.12
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
Pat Metheny debuted in 1976 and attracted the public beyond his genre in jazz by committing experimental and various music. His 50 albums have been recognized with musicality and artistry by winning 20 Grammy Awards and being awarded a Gold Disc 3 times. Therefore, his music cannot be expressed merely with the single word 'jazz'. In basic harmonics, there are distinct chords between major chord and minor chord. For example, Ionian Scale and Lydian Scale are used in major chord and Dorian Scale, Phrygian Scale, and Aeolian Scale are used in minor chord. It is also common to use m7b5 chord in Locrian Scale. However, after analyzing Pat Metheny's scale, he made Lick using Dorian Scale in major chord or using Lydian Scale in minor chord. In Dominant chord that can use various six scales, he often used Dorian Scale or Lydian Scale surprisingly. In some measures, he made Lick using Ionian Scale and Lydian Scale. In this case, since the whole atmosphere of that measure simultaneously expresses both the bright feeling of major and the lonely feeling of minor, it arouses a very special atmosphere. In addition, he brought 12-measure pattern and made Lick not using blues scale but often using Ionian Scale, Lydian Scale, and Mixo-Lydian Scale.
Jazz Guitarist;Improvisation;Guiatr;Solo;Playing Technique
- Barrie Nittles, "Harmony," Berklee College Of Music, 1992
- Buck Brown, "Jazz Chops For Guitar," Alfredpub, 2001.
- By Daniel Gilbert & Beth Marlis, "Advanced Guitar Soloing," Hal-Leonard, 2002.
- Jean Marc Belkadi, "Advanced Scale Condepts and Licks," 1999.
- Jean Marc Belkadi, "Exotic Scales & Licks," Hal-Leonard, 2005.
- Tom Kolb, "Modes For Guitar," Hal-Leonard, 2001
- Jean Marc Belkadi, "Diminished Scale For Guitar," Hal-Leonard, 1997.
- Stan Smith, "Jazz Harmony On The Guitar," Hal-Leonard, 1999.
- Min-Geun Kim, "A Study of Fusion Jazz Guitarist Pat Metheny's Scale," KAIS the Autumn Conference, 2015.
- S. W. Jang, M. H. Shim, O. H. Cho, "A study about corelation between Hypersonic sound of nature and Alpha wave," Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 69-74, Dec. 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2013.12.01. https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2013.12.01
- W. H. Lee, H. D. Lee, M. J. Bae, "A Study on Sound for Autism using Acoustics Parameters and Ratio of Brain-wave," Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 25-32, Aug. 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2013.12.01"
- Min-Geun Kim "A Study of Fusion Jazz Guitarist Pat Metheny's Scale - Missouri Uncompromised," KAIS the Spring Conference, 2016.