- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
A Study on the K-REITs of Characteristic Analysis by Investment Type
K-REITs(부동산투자회사)의 투자 유형별 특성 분석
- Kim, Sang-Jin (Graduate School of Urban Studies, Hanyang University) ;
- Lee, Myenog-Hun (Graduate School of Urban Studies, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2016.09.22
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
A discussion has recently emerged over the increase of approvals of K-REITs, which is concluded on the basis of how to raise funds for business activity, fulfill the expected rate of return and maximize the management of managing investment funds. In addition, corporations need to acknowledge the necessity of the capital structure reflected in the current economic environment and decision-making processes. This research analyzed the characteristics by investment types and influence factors about the debt ratio of K-REITs. The data were collected from general management about business state, investment, and finance from 2002 to 2015 in K-REITs (except for the GFC period of 2007~2009). The results of the research demonstrated the high ratios of the largest shareholder characteristics, which are corporation, pension funds, mutual funds, banks, securities, insurance, and, recently, the increasing ratio of the largest shareholder and major stockholder. The investment of K-REITs is increasing the role of institutional investors that take a leading development of K-REITs. The behaviors of simultaneous investment of institutional investors were analyzed to show that they received higher interest rates than other financial institutions and ran in parallel with attraction and compensation. The results of the multiple regressions analysis, utilizing variables about debt ratio were as follows. The debt ratio showed a negative (-) relation that profitability is increasing, which matches the pecking order theory and trade off theory. On the other hand, investment opportunities (growth potential) showed a negative (-) relation and assets scale that indicated a positive (+) relation. The research results are reflected as follows. K-REITs focused on private equity REITs more than public offering REITs, and in the case of financing the capital of others, loan capital is operated under the guarantee of tangible assets (most of real estate) more than financing of the stock market. Further, after the GFC, the capital of others was actively utilized in K-REITs business, and the debt ratio showed that the determinant factors by the ratio and characteristics of the largest shareholder and investment products.
REITs;investment;institutionalization;simultaneous investment;leverage ratio
- Timan S., and R. Wessels, "The Determinants of Capital Structure Choice," Journal of Finance, pp. 1-19, 1988. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1988.tb02585.x
- Myer, Stewart C., and N. Majluf, "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions when Firms Have Information Investors Do Not Have," Journal of Finance Economics, 13, pp. 187-221, 1984. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(84)90023-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(84)90023-0
- Grossman S. J and O. Hart, "Corporate Financing Structure and managerial incentives," NBER Working paper, 398, 1983.
- Kim W. S. and E. H. Sorensen, "Evidence on the impact of the agency costs of debt on corporate debt policy," Journal of financial and Quantitative Analysis, 21: pp. 131-144, 1986. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/2330733 https://doi.org/10.2307/2330733
- Choi Koang Sung, "A Study on Determinants of leverage for REITs : Evidence from Korea REITs," Master Department of applied economics Hanyang University. 2016.
- Boog han. Yoon, "A Long-run Analysis of the Determinants of capital structure," Korean management review, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 973-1000, 2005.
- Chang, Young Gil, Lee, Hyun Seok, An Analysis on Domestic REITs Return & Risk using GARCH-M Model. Journal of the Korea Real Estate Analysts Association, vol. 16, no1, pp. 25-40, 2010
- Cho, Hyun-min, Kim Kyung-min, "A Study on Risk-Return Characteristics of Korean REITs," Journal of the Korea Real Estate Analysts Association, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 5-20, Aug. 2007.
- Seo, Won Hyeong, "A Comparative Analysis on the Characteristics and Investment Performance in REITs-Focused on REITs of the U.S. and Korea," Department of Urban Planning and Real Estate Graduate School Dankook University Ph.D. 2014.
- Rajan & Zingales, "What do we know about capital Structure ? Some evidence from international data," Journal of Finance, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 1421-1460, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1995.tb05184.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1995.tb05184.x
- Capozza and Seguin, "Focus transpsrency and value: the REIT evidence ," Real estate finance, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 38-46, 2001.
- Baker and Wurgler, "Market timing and capital structure," Journal of finance, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 1-32, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1540-6261.00414 https://doi.org/10.1111/1540-6261.00414
- Howton Shawn, Howton Shelly and Mcwillians, " Equity vs debt financing of REITs," Real Estste Finance, 3-3, pp. 147-157, 2003 https://doi.org/10.1002/bref.95
- Chen, X., J Harford, and K. Li. Monitoring : Which Institutions Matter? Journal of Financial Economics, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 279-305, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.qref.2006.05.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfineco.2006.09.005
- Morri and Beretta," The capital structure determinants of REITs. Is it a peculiar industry " Journal of European Real Estate, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 6-57, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/17539260810891488 https://doi.org/10.1108/17539260810891488
- Bauer, R., Eichholtz, P.,& Kok, N., Corporate governance and performance : the REIT effect. Real Estate Economics, vol. 38, no.1, pp. 1-29, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6229.2009.00252.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6229.2009.00252.x
- David M.Harrison, Christine A.Panasian, Michael J.Seiler, "Further Evidence on the Capital Structure of REITs," Real Estate Economics, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 133-166, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6229.2010.00289.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6229.2010.00289.x
- Paul Brockman, Dan W. French, Chris Tamm. REIT Organizational Structure, Institutional Ownership, and Stock Performance, Journal of Real Estate Portfolio Management, vol. 20, no. 1, 2014.
- Gunjan Banati, Leonie van Hofwegn, Sarah wander, snjezana Tremblay, "Interest rate risk of real estate investment trusts," NYU Stern working paper, May 2015.
- Linneman, Peter, "Forces changing the real estate industry forever," Wharton Real Estate Review, 1, pp. 1-12, 1997.
- William B. Bruggeman & Jeffrey D. fisher, Real Estate Finance and Investments Fourteenth Edition, by McGraw-Hill Companies, In C. All rights reserved. Chapter 11, pp. 374-379, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/rfs/hhq056
- KAREIT, K-REITs understanding and management Structure, pp. 2-10, 2012.
- Korea Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts REITs Journal, vol. 19, Spring, 2016.
- Lee, Seok-Hee, "The Mechanism of Simultaneous Investments in Korean Real Capital Market," The Gradyate School, Sejong University Ph.D. 2016.
- Modigliani and Miler, "The cost capital, corporation finance and the theory of investment," American Economic Review, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 261-297, 1958.
- Feng, Ghosh, Sirmans, "On the capital structure of real estate investment trusts(REITs)," Journal of Real Estate Finance & Economics, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 81-105, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11146-007-9005-2 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11146-007-9005-2
- Jensen, "Agency costs of the cash flow, corporate finance and takeovers," American Economic Review, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 323-329, 1986.
- Ang, Chua, Mcconnell, "The administrative costs of corporate bankruptcy: a note," Journal of Finance, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 219-26, 1982. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1982.tb01104.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1982.tb01104.x
- Blazenko, "Managerial preference, asymmetric information and financial structure," Journal of Finance, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 839-62, 1987. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1987.tb03915.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1987.tb03915.x
- Park won seok, "Characteristics of REITs performancecomparative analysis between Korea and USA- " The Korean Association of professional Geographers, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 455-471, 2003.
- Kim, Kwan Yong, Park, Jung Ho, " Correlation Analysis between the Korean REITs and the Property Market and the Capital Market," The Korea Spatial Planning Review, vol. 71, pp. 69-86, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15793/kspr.2011.71.004 https://doi.org/10.15793/kspr.2011.71..004
- Sim Sung-Hoon, Chang Byoung-ky., "Does Korean REITa Act Like Real Estate or Stock ?, " Housing studies Review, vol. 15, no2 pp. 31-52, 2007.
- Jung, Wan Sung, "An Empirical Study on the Determinants of the Capital Structure for REITs " Korea Real estate academy, vol. 38, no3 pp. 54-72, 2009.
- Jiang, W., Li, K., & Shao, P., "When shareholders are creditors: Effected of the simultaneous holding of equity and debt by non-commercial banking institutions," Review of Financial Studies, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 3595-3637, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1093/rfs/hhq056
- Friend, I. and L. H. P. Lang, "An empirical test of the impact of managerial self-interest on corporate structure," Journal of Finance, 43: pp. 271-281, 1988. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1988.tb03938.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1988.tb03938.x
- Scherr and H. M. Hulburt, "The Debt Maturity Structure of Small Firms," Finournal Management, pp. 85-111, 2001.