- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Lossless Frame Memory Compression with Low Complexity based on Block-Buffer Structure for Efficient High Resolution Video Processing
고해상도 영상의 효과적인 처리를 위한 블록 버퍼 기반의 저 복잡도 무손실 프레임 메모리 압축 방법
- Kim, Jongho (Department of Multimedia Engineering, Sunchon National University)
- 김종호 (순천대학교 멀티미디어공학과)
- Received : 2016.10.31
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.11.30
This study addresses a low complexity and lossless frame memory compression algorithm based on block-buffer structure for efficient high resolution video processing. Our study utilizes the block-based MHT (modified Hadamard transform) for spatial decorrelation and AGR (adaptive Golomb-Rice) coding as an entropy encoding stage to achieve lossless image compression with low complexity and efficient hardware implementation. The MHT contains only adders and 1-bit shift operators. As a result of AGR not requiring additional memory space and memory access operations, AGR is effective for low complexity development. Comprehensive experiments and computational complexity analysis demonstrate that the proposed algorithm accomplishes superior compression performance relative to existing methods, and can be applied to hardware devices without image quality degradation as well as negligible modification of the existing codec structure. Moreover, the proposed method does not require the memory access operation, and thus it can reduce costs for hardware implementation and can be useful for processing high resolution video over Full HD.
AGR;Block-based MHT;Frame memory compression;High resolution video;Lossless image compression
- H.-C. Kuo and Y.-L. Lin, "A hybrid algorithm for effective lossless compression of video display frames," IEEE Trans. Multimedia, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 500-509, Jun. 2002.
- H. Schwarz, D. Marpe, and T. Wiegand, "Overview of the scalable video coding extension of the H.264/AVC standard," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol., vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 1103-1120, Sep. 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2007.905532 https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2007.905532
- J. Kim, "Orientation-based adaptive prediction for effective lossless image compression," J. Korea Inst. Inf. Commun. Eng., vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 2409-2416, Oct. 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.6109/jkiice.2015.19.10.2409 https://doi.org/10.6109/jkiice.2015.19.10.2409
- M. Tikekar, C.-T. Huang, C. Juvekar, V. Sze, and A. P. Chandrakasan, "A 249-Mpixel/s HEVC video-decoder chip for 4K ultra-HD applications," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 61-72, Jan. 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/JSSC.2013.2284362 https://doi.org/10.1109/JSSC.2013.2284362
- G. J. Sullivan, J. Ohm, W.-J. Han, and T. Wiegand, "Overview of the High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) standard," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol., vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1649-1668, Dec. 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2012.2221191 https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2012.2221191
- J. Lei, X. Zou, Z. Wu, and W. Fan, "Research of an image map encoding algorithm on frame buffer," in Proc. Int. Conf. ASIC, Guilin, China, pp. 894-897, 2007.
- T. L. B. Yng, B.-G. Lee, and H. Yoo, "A low complexity and lossless frame memory compression for display devices," IEEE Trans. Consum. Electron., vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 1453-1458, Aug. 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2008.4637640 https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2008.4637640
- S. Dikbas and F. Zhai, "Lossless image compression using adjustable fractional line-buffer," Signal Processing: Image Commun., vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 345-351, Jun. 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.image.2010.02.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.image.2010.02.004
- T. Song and T. Shimamoto, "Reference frame data compression method for H.264/AVC," IEICE Electron. Exp., vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 121-126, Feb. 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1587/elex.4.121 https://doi.org/10.1587/elex.4.121
- S. H. Lee, M. K. Chung, S. M. Park, and C. M. Kyung, "Lossless frame memory recompression for video codec preserving random accessibility of coding unit," IEEE Trans. Consum. Electron., vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 2105-2113, Nov. 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2009.5373775 https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2009.5373775
- J. Kim and C. M. Kyung, "A lossless embedded compression using significant bit truncation for HD video coding," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol., vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 848-860, Jun. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2010.2045923
- Y. Lee, C.-E. Rhee, and H.-J. Lee, "A new frame recompression algorithm integrated with H.264 video compression," in Proc. IEEE Int. Symposium on Circuits and Systems, pp. 1621-1624, May 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/iscas.2007.378829
- M. J. Weinberger, G. Seroussi, and G. Sapiro, "The LOCO-I lossless image compression algorithm: Principles and standardization into JPEG-LS," IEEE Trans. Image Processing, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 1309-1324, Aug. 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/83.855427 https://doi.org/10.1109/83.855427
- T. Y. Lee, "A new frame-recompression algorithm and its hardware design for MPEG-2 video decoders," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol., vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 529-534, Jun. 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2003.813425 https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2003.813425
- H. Yoo, J. M. Jo, and J. C. Jeong, "A hierarchical lossless image compression based on modified Hadamard transform," in Proc. 10th Workshop on Image Processing and Understanding, pp. 516-520, 1998.
- N. Merhav, G. Seroussi, and M. J. Weinberger, "Optimal prefix codes for source with two-sided geometric distribution", IEEE Trans. Information Theory, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 121-135, Jan. 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/18.817520 https://doi.org/10.1109/18.817513
- X. Lian, Z. Liu, W. Zhou, and Z. Duan, "Lossless frame memory compression using pixel-grain prediction and dynamic order entropy coding," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol., vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 223-235, Jan. 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2015.2469572 https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2015.2469572