- Volume 17 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The phenomenological study of self-management intervention among breast cancer survivors: Non-pharmacological approaches
유방암 생존자들의 자가관리에 대한 현상학적 연구: 비약물적 접근방법을 중심으로
- Heo, Seok-Mo (Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Heo, Narae (Department of Nursing, Hansei University)
- Received : 2016.09.29
- Accepted : 2016.12.08
- Published : 2016.12.31
The purpose of this study was to understand the essential structure and meaning of self-management intervention for breast cancer survivors by using non-pharmacological approaches. The study participants were 10 breast cancer survivors who were completing cancer treatment that involved surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy. Data collected between August 2014 and February 2015 at E Hospital in S city were analyzed by using Colaizzi's phenomenological method. Outcomes were classified into seven essential themes: 1) application of comfort measures to alleviate ongoing symptoms, 2) movement to change physical conditions, 3) special herbal intake to prevent recurrence, 4) a specially designed diet plan for health self-management, 5) constant awareness of complementary and alternative medicine, 6) unmet needs treated by one's own doctor's prescription, and 7) future life toward a nature-friendly environment. The study results contribute to a deeper understanding of self-management interventions in the daily lives of Korean breast cancer survivors. In addition, results provide an essential resource, based on actual self-management styles, that will help survivors to obtain guidance and participate in appropriate programs.
Breast cancer;Survivors;Self-management intervention;Phenomenological study;Non-pharmacological approaches
- National Cancer Care, "2013 Statistics registration project annual report", [cited 2016, August 28], Available from: http://www.cancer.go.kr/mbs/cancer/subview.jsp?id=cancer_040402000000
- A. Lee, B. I. Moon. "Chemotherapy in breast cancer", The Ewha Medical Journal, vol. 37, no. 2, pp.75-82, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12771/emj.2014.37.2.75 https://doi.org/10.12771/emj.2014.37.2.75
- M. Rosedale, M. R. Fu, "Confronting the unexpected: temporal, situational, and attributive dimensions of distressing symptom experience for breast cancer survivors", Oncology Nursing Forum, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 28-33, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1188/10.ONF.E28-E33 https://doi.org/10.1188/10.ONF.E28-E33
- M. Lee, S. Kim, J. Shim, "Comparison of shoulder range of motion, pain, function, scapular position between breast cancer surgery and shoulder surgery female patients", Physical Therapy Korea, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 9-18, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12674/ptk.2015.22.1.009 https://doi.org/10.12674/ptk.2015.22.1.009
- G. D. Kim, B. Y. Chung, K. H. Kim, H. S. Byun, E. H. Choi. "Comparison of climacteric symptoms and cognitive Impairment in breast cancer survivors and healthy women", Asian Oncology Nursing, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 11-17, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5388/aon.2013.13.1.11 https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2013.13.1.11
- Y. M. Ryu, M. Yi, "The Factors influencing quality of life in women with breast cancer", Korean Oncology Nursing Society, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 121-127, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5388/aon.2013.13.3.121 https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2013.13.3.121
- J. H. Yang, "The actual experiences of the living world among cancer patients", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 140-151, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.1.140 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.1.140
- F. Mols, A. J. Vingerhoets, J. W. Coebergh, L. V. van de Poll-Franse, "Quality of life among long-term breast cancer survivors: A systematic review", European Journal of Cancer, vol. 41, no. 17, pp. 2613-2619, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2005.05.017 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2005.05.017
- C. L. Rock, C. Doyle, W. Demark Wahnefried, J. Meyerhardt, K. S. Courneya, K. S. Schwartz, A. L. AL, et al., "Nutrition and physical activity guidelines for cancer survivors", A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 242-274, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3322/caac.21142 https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21142
- K. H. Schmitz, K. S. Courneya, C. Matthews, W. Demark-Wahnefriend, D. A. Galvao, B. M. Pinto, et al., "American college of sports medicine roundtable on exercise guidelines for cancer survivors", Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 1409-1426, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0b013e3181e0c112 https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0b013e3181e0c112
- N. Davies, L. Batehup, "Self-management support for cancer survivors: Guidance for developing interventions. London", UK: Macmillan Cancer Support, pp. 1-82, 2010.
- National Cancer Information Institute, "2014 Patient management guidelines", [cited 2016, August 28], Available from: http://www.cancer.go.kr/mbs/cancer/subview.jsp?id=cancer_060107030000
- S. Y. Park, J. I. Kim, "Effects of BeHaS exercise program on flexibility, grip strength, stress and self-esteem in breast cancer survivors", Korean Society of Muscle and Joint Health, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 171-179, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2013.20.3.171
- G, Kang. S. Oh, "Effects of mindfulness meditation program on perceived stress, ways of coping, and stress response in breast cancer patients", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 161-170, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.2.161 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.2.161
- Y. S. Kim, K. C. Kim, J. W. Lee, Y. H. Kim, "Effects of rehabilitation program using Qigong exercise for breast cancer survivors of community in B city", Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 3263-3277. 2013.
- J. L. Bender, M. C. Jimenez-Marroquin, A. R. Jadad, "Seeking support on facebook: A content analysis of breast cancer groups", Journal of Medical Internet Research, vol. 13, no. 1, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2196/jmir.1560 https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.1560
- CHA Medical group, "Mentoring program for breast cancer patients", [cited 2016, August 28], Available from: http://blog.naver.com/chagroup/220762258480
- M. A. Burg, G. Adorno, E. D. Lopez, V. Loerzel, K. Stein, C. Wallace, D. K. Sharma, "Current unmet needs of cancer survivors: analysis of open-ended responses to the American Cancer Society Study of Cancer Survivors II", Cancer, vol. 121, no. 4, pp. 623-630. 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/cncr.28951 https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.28951
- M. Feuerstein, "Defining cancer survivorship", Journal of Cancer Survivorship, Vol 1, no. 1, pp. 5-7, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11764-006-0002-x https://doi.org/10.1007/s11764-006-0002-x
- National Cancer Center, Ministry of Health and Welfare, National Cancer Control Planning Board, "2016 Promoting research and development project to conquer cancer", [cited 2016, August 28], Available from: https://ncc.ncc.re.kr/
- P. E. Colaizzi, Psychological Research as the Phenomenological Views it, New York: Oxford University Press, 1978.
- Y. S. Lincoln, E. G. Guba, Naturalistic Inquiry, Beverly Hills, CA: Sage Publications, 1985.
- S. M. Heo, N. Heo, "The experience of self-management support among breast cancer survivors", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol 28, no. 4, pp. 470-481, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2016.28.4.470 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2016.28.4.470
- S. H. Kim, R. Lee, K. S. Lee. "Symptoms and uncertainty in breast cancer survivors in Korea: Differences by treatment trajectory", Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 21, pp. 1014-1023, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2011.03896.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2011.03896.x
- S. Y. Kim, "Evidence-based assessment of complementary and alternative therapies for cancer", Journal of the Korean Medical Association, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 403-410, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2008.51.5.403 https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2008.51.5.403
- J. Kim, H. Yoo, C. Cho, C. Son, J. Cho, Y. Lee, "Study on level of evidence and recommendations of complementary and alternative medicine for cancer by using natural standard methodology", vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 160-176, 2008.
- National Cancer Institute Center, "Awareness complementary and alternative therapies for cancer patients and their families", [cited 2016, August 28], Available from: http://www.cancer.go.kr/mbs/cancer/jsp/album/gallery.jsp?boardType=02&boardId=31817&listType=02&boardSeq=3799442&mcategoryId=&id=cancer_050207000000&spage=1
- K. O, Kim, H. Park, M. Chun, E, H. Lee, H-S, Kim. "Eating patterns and use of nutritional information in breast cancer survivors treated with radiation", Journal of Nutrition and Health, vol. 3, No 46. 3, pp. 250-260, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2013.46.3.250 https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2013.46.3.250
- M. Yun, M. Song, "A qualitative study on breast cancer survivors' experiences", Perspectives in Nursing Science, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 41-51, 2013.
- D. W. Han, Y. Y. Kim, S. J. Choi, J. H. Hwang, "Determinants on Korean medicine use among breast cancer patients", Korean Journal of Oriental Preventive Medical Society, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 37-51, 2012.
- M. Baranski, D. Srednicka-Tober, N. Volakakis, C. Seal, R. Sanderson, G. B. Stewart, et al., "Higher antioxidant and lower cadmium concentrations and lower incidence of pesticide residues in organically grown crops: a systematic literature review and meta-analyses", British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 112, no. 5, pp. 794-811. 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0007114514001366 https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114514001366
- B. K. Lee, H. H. Lee. "A study on the effects of human physiology after foster phytoncide therapy", Journal of Naturopathy, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 14-20, 2012.