- Volume 11 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Lyapunov-based Semi-active Control of Adaptive Base Isolation System employing Magnetorheological Elastomer base isolators
- Chen, Xi (School of Electrical Engineering and Automation, Tianjin University) ;
- Li, Jianchun (School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Technology Sydney) ;
- Li, Yancheng (School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Technology Sydney) ;
- Gu, Xiaoyu (School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Technology Sydney)
- Received : 2016.03.16
- Accepted : 2016.07.06
- Published : 2016.12.25
One of the main shortcomings in the current passive base isolation system is lack of adaptability. The recent research and development of a novel adaptive seismic isolator based on magnetorheological elastomer (MRE) material has created an opportunity to add adaptability to base isolation systems for civil structures. The new MRE based base isolator is able to significantly alter its shear modulus or lateral stiffness with the applied magnetic field or electric current, which makes it a competitive candidate to develop an adaptive base isolation system. This paper aims at exploring suitable control algorithms for such adaptive base isolation system by developing a close-loop semi-active control system for a building structure equipped with MRE base isolators. The MRE base isolator is simulated by a numerical model derived from experimental characterization based on the Bouc-Wen Model, which is able to describe the force-displacement response of the device accurately. The parameters of Bouc-Wen Model such as the stiffness and the damping coefficients are described as functions of the applied current. The state-space model is built by analyzing the dynamic property of the structure embedded with MRE base isolators. A Lyapunov-based controller is designed to adaptively vary the current applied to MRE base isolator to suppress the quake-induced vibrations. The proposed control method is applied to a widely used benchmark base-isolated structure by numerical simulation. The performance of the adaptive base isolation system was evaluated through comparison with optimal passive base isolation system and a passive base isolation system with optimized base shear. It is concluded that the adaptive base isolation system with proposed Lyapunov-based semi-active control surpasses the performance of other two passive systems in protecting the civil structures under seismic events.
Supported by : Australian Research Council
- Fabio, C., Jose, R. and Umut, Y. (2012), "Active and semi-active control of structures - theory and applications: A review of recent advances", J. Intel. Mat. Syst. Struct., 23(11), 1181-1195. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X12445029
- Faycal, I. (2007), Systems with hysteresis analysis, identification and control using the Bouc-Wen model, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Chichester, England.
- Fisco, N.R. and Adeli, H. (2011), "Smart structures: Part I-Active and semi-active control", Sci. Iran., 18(3), 275-284. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scient.2011.05.034
- Gu, X., Li, J., Li, Y. and Askari, M. (2015), "Frequency control of smart base isolation system employing a novel adaptive magneto-rheological elastomer base isolator", J. Intel. Mat. Syst. Struct., 27(7), 849-858.
- Hosseini, M. and Farsangi, E.N. (2012), "Telescopic columns as a new base isolation system for vibration control of high-rise buildings", Earthq. Struct., 3(6), 853-867. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2012.3.6.853
- Housner, G.W., Bergman, L.A., Caughey, T.K., Chassiakos A.G., Claus R.O., Masri S.F., Skelton R.E., Soong T.T., Spencer B.F. and Yao J.T.P. (1997), "Structural control: past, present, and future", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 123(9), 897-971. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1997)123:9(897)
- Ismail, M., Ikhouane, F. and Rodellar, J. (2009), "The Hysteresis Bouc-Wen Model, a Survey", Arch. Comput. Method E., 16(2), 161-188. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11831-009-9031-8
- Kelly, J.M., Leitmann, G. and Soldatos, A.G. (1987), "Robust control of base-isolated structures under earthquake excitation", J. Optimiz, Theory App., 53(2), 159-180. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00939213
- Li, H. and Ou, J. (2006), "A design approach for semi-active and smart base-isolated buildings", Struct. Control Hlth., 13, 660-681 https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.104
- Li, Y. and Li, J. (2015a), "Finite element design and analysis of adaptive base isolator utilizing laminated multiple magnetorheological elastomer layers", J. Intel. Mat. Syst. Str., 26(14), 1861-1870. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X15580654
- Li, Y. and Li, J. (2015b), "A highly adjustable base isolator utilizing magnetorheological elastomer: experimental testing and modeling", J. Vib. Acoust., 137(1), 11009 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4028228
- Li, Y., Li, J., Li, W. and Samali, B. (2013a), "Development and characterization of a magnetorheological elastomer based adaptive seismic isolator", Smart Mater. Struct., 22, 035005. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/22/3/035005
- Li, Y., Li, J., Tian, T. and Li, W. (2013b), "A highly adjustable magnetorheological elastomer base isolator for applications on real-time adaptive control", Smart Mater. Struct., 22, 095020. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/22/9/095020
- Liu, J, Xia, K and Zhu, C. (2009), "The state-of-the-art review of structural control strategy", International Conference on E-Learning, E-Business, Enterprise Information Systems, and E-Government, HongKong, HongKong, December.
- Murase, M., Tsuji, M. and Takewaki, I. (2013), "Smart passive control of buildings with higher redundancy and robustness using base-isolation and inter-connection", Earthq. Struct., 4(6), 649-670. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.4.6.649
- Patil, S.J., Reddy, G.R., Shivshankar, R., Rabu, R., Jayalekshmi, B.R. and Kumar, B. (2016), "Seismic base isolation for structures using river sand", Earthq. Struct., 10(4),829-847. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.10.4.829
- Ramallo, J.C., Johnson, E.A. and Spencer Jr, B.F. (2002), "'Smart' base isolation systems", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 128(10), 1088-1099. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2002)128:10(1088)
- Soong, T.T. (1990), Active structural control: theory and practice, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, New York, USA.
- Spencer Jr, B.F. and Nagarajaiah, S. (2003), "State of the art of structural control", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 129(7), 845-856. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2003)129:7(845)
- Sues, R., Mau, S., and Wen, Y. (1988), "Systems identification of degrading hysteretic restoring forces", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 114(5), 833-846. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1988)114:5(833)
- Tarek, E.S., George, N., Jan-Erik, J. and Hans, H. (2015), "A state-of-the-art review of structural control systems", J. Vib. Control, 21(5), 919-937. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546313478294
- Yang, J., Du, H., Li, W., Li, Y. and Li, J. (2013), "Experimental study and modeling of a novel magnetorheological elastomer isolator", Smart Mater. Struct., 22(11), 117001. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/22/11/117001
- Yu, Y., Li, Y. and Li, J. (2014), "A New Hysteretic Model for Magnetorheological Elastomer Base Isolator and Parameter Identification Based on Modified Artificial Fish Swarm Algorithm", The 31st International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction and Mining, Sydney, July.
- Yu Y., Li Y. and Li J. (2015b), "Parameter identification and sensitivity analysis of an improved LuGre friction model for magnetorheological elastomer base isolator", Meccanica, 50(11), 2691-2707. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11012-015-0179-z
- Yu, Y., Li, Y. and Li, J. (2015a), "Parameter identification of a novel strain stiffening model for magnetorheological elastomer base isolator utilizing enhanced particle swarm optimization", J. Intel. Mat. Syst. Struct., 26(18), 2446-2462. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X14556166
- A dual-loop adaptive control for minimizing time response delay in real-time structural vibration control with magnetorheological (MR) devices vol.27, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-665X/aa98be
- Modeling the behaviors of magnetorheological elastomer isolator in shear-compression mixed mode utilizing artificial neural network optimized by fuzzy algorithm (ANNOFA) vol.27, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-665X/aadfa9