- Volume 11 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Dynamic field monitoring data analysis of an ancient wooden building in seismic and operational environments
- Lyu, Mengning (Beijing's Key Laboratory of Structural Wind Engineering and Urban Wind Environment, School of Civil Engineering, Beijing Jiaotong University) ;
- Zhu, Xinqun (Institute for Infrastructure Engineering, Western Sydney University) ;
- Yang, Qingshan (Beijing's Key Laboratory of Structural Wind Engineering and Urban Wind Environment, School of Civil Engineering, Beijing Jiaotong University)
- Received : 2016.02.24
- Accepted : 2016.06.19
- Published : 2016.12.25
The engineering background of this article is an ancient wooden building with extremely high historic and cultural values in Tibet. A full understanding of the dynamic behaviour of this historic building under in-service environments is the basis to assess the condition of the structure, especially its responses to earthquake, environmental and operational loading. A dynamic monitoring system has been installed in the building for over one year and the large amounts of high quality data have been obtained. The paper aims at studying the dynamic behaviour of the wooden building in seismic and operational conditions using the field monitoring data. Specifically the effects of earthquake and crowd loading on the structure's dynamic response are investigated. The monitoring data are decomposed into principal components using the Singular Spectrum Analysis (SSA) technique. The relationship between the average acceleration amplitude and frequencies of the principle components and operational conditions has been discussed. One main contribution is to understand the health condition of complex ancient building based on large databases collected on the field.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China, Central Universities
- Bommer, J.J. and Martinez-Pereira, A. (1999), "The effective duration of earthquake strong motion", J. Earthq. Eng., 3(2), 127-172. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469909350343
- Calcina, S.V., Piroddi, L. and Ranieri, G. (2013), "Fast dynamic control of damaged historical buildings: A new useful approach for structural health monitoring after an earthquake", ISRN Civ. Eng., 1-6.
- Cimellaro, G.P., Piantà, S. and De, Stefano, A. (2012), "Output-only modal identification of ancient L'Aquila city hall and civic tower", J. Struct. Eng., 138(4), 481-491. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000494
- Ding, Y., Zhao, B.Y. and Wu, B. (2015), "A condition assessment method for time-variant structures with incomplete measurements", Mech. Syst. Sign. Proc., 58, 228-244.
- Fraedrich, K. (1986), "Estimating the dimension of weather and climate attractors", J. Atmos. Sci., 43(5), 419-432. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0469(1986)043<0419:ETDOWA>2.0.CO;2
- Gentile, C. and Saisi, A. (2007), "Ambient vibration testing of historic masonry towers for structural identification and damage assessment", Constr. Build. Mater., 21(6), 1311-1321. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2006.01.007
- Gentile, C., Saisi, A. and Guidobaldi, M. (2014), "Post-earthquake dynamic monitoring of a historic masonry tower", Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Structural Dynamics, Porto, Portugal, June-July.
- Glisic, B., Inaudi, D. and Posenato, D. (2007), "Monitoring of heritage structures and historical monuments using long-gage fiber optic interferometric sensors-an overview", The 3rd International Conference on Structural Health Monitoring of Intelligent Infrastructure, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, November.
- Golyandina, N., Nekrutkin, V. and Zhigljavsky, A. (2001), Analysis of Time Series Structure: SSA and Related Techniques, Boca Raton: Chapman & Hall, CRC, London, NY, Washington, DC.
- Hassani, H. (2007), "Singular spectrum analysis: Methodology and comparison", J. Data Sci., 5, 239-257.
- Hassani, H., Dionisio, A and Chodsi, M. (2010), "The effect of noise reduction in measuring the linear and nonlinear dependency of financial market", Nonlin. Anal.: Real World Appl., 11(1), 492-502. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nonrwa.2009.01.004
- Hassani, H. and Hersvi, S. (2009), "Forecasting European industrial production with singular spectrum analysis", Int. J. Forecast., 25(1), 103-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijforecast.2008.09.007
- Hassani, H. and Thomakos, D. (2010), "A review on singular spectrum analysis for economic and financial time series", Stat. Its Interf., 3(3), 377-397. https://doi.org/10.4310/SII.2010.v3.n3.a11
- Harichandran, R.S. and Vanmarcke, E. (1986), "Stochastic variation of earthquake ground motion in space", J. Eng. Mech., 112(2), 154-174. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1986)112:2(154)
- Hassani, H. and Zhigljavsky, A. (2009), "Singular spectrum analysis: methodology and application to economics data", J. Syst. Sci. Complex., 22(3), 372-394. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11424-009-9171-9
- HIVOSS. (2008), Human Induced Vibrations of Steel Structures: Design of Footbridges Guideline.
- Holzer, S.M., Loferski, J.R. and Dillard, D.A. (1989), "A review of creep in wood: concepts relevant to develop long-term behavior predictions for wood structures", Wood Fib. Sci., 21(4), 376-392.
- Ivanovic, S.S., Trifunac, M.D. and Todorovska, M.I.(2000), "Ambient vibration tests of structures: a review", Iset J. Earthq. Technol., 37(4), 165-197.
- Kim, C., Jung, D., Kim, N., Kwon, S. and Feng, M. (2003), "Effect of vehicle weight on natural frequencies of bridges measured from traffic-induced vibration", Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib., 2(1), 109-115. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02857543
- Lall, U., Sangoyomi, T. and Abarnel, H.D.I. (1996), "Nonlinear dynamics of the Great Salt Lake: nonparametric short-term forecasting", Water Resource. Res., 32(4), 975-985. https://doi.org/10.1029/95WR03402
- Law, S.S., Zhu, X.Q., Tian, Y.J., Li, X.Y. and Wu, S.Q. (2013), "Statistical damage classification method based on wavelet packet analysis", Struct. Eng. Mech., 46(4), 459-486. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.46.4.459
- Li, J., Hao, H. and Lo, J.V. (2015), "Structural damage identification with power spectral density transmissibility: Numerical and experimental studies", Smart Struct. Syst., 15(1), 15-40. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2015.15.1.015
- Liu, C. and DeWolf, J.T. (2007), "Effect of temperature on modal variability of a curved concrete bridge under ambient loads", J. Struct. Eng., 133(12), 1742-1751. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2007)133:12(1742)
- Liu, K., Law, S.S., Xia, Y. and Zhu, X.Q. (2014), "Singular spectrum analysis for enhancing the sensitivity in structural damage detection", J. Sound Vib., 333(2), 392-417. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2013.09.027
- Loh, C.H., Penzien, J. and Ysai, Y.B. (1982), "Engineering analysis of SMART 1 array accelerograms", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 10(4), 575-591. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290100407
- Magalhaes, F. (2010), "Operational Modal Analysis for Testing and Monitoring of Bridges and Special Structures", Ph.D. Thesi, University of Porto, Portugal.
- Magalhaes, F., Cunha, A. and Caetano, E. (2012), "Vibration based structural health monitoring of an arch bridge: from automated OMA to damage detection", Mech. Syst. Sign. Proc., Spec. Issue Interdisciplin, 28(2), 212-228.
- Marrelli, L., Bilato, R. and Franz, P. (2001), "Singular spectrum analysis as a tool for plasma fluctuations analysis", Rev. Scientific Instr., 72(1), 499-507. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1323250
- Michel, C., Gueguen, P. and Bard, P.Y. (2008), "Dynamic parameters of structures extracted from ambient vibration measurements: An aid for the seismic vulnerability assessment of existing buildings in moderate seismic hazard regions", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 28(8), 593-604. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2007.10.002
- Moskvina, V. and Zhigljavsky, A. (2003), "An algorithm based on singular spectrum analysis for changepoint detection", Commun. Stat. - Simul. Comput., 32(2), 319-352. https://doi.org/10.1081/SAC-120017494
- Ni, Y.Q., Hua, X.G., Fan, K.Q. and Ko, J.M.(2005), "Correlation modal properties with temperature using long-term mentoring data and support vector machine techniques", Eng. Struct., 27(12), 1762-1773. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.02.020
- Peeters, B. and De Roeck, G. (2001), "One-year monitoring of the Z24-bridge: environmental effects versus damage events", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 30(2), 149-171. https://doi.org/10.1002/1096-9845(200102)30:2<149::AID-EQE1>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Quarantaa, G., Maranob, G.C., Trentadueb, F. and Montic, G. (2014), "Numerical study on the optimal sensor placement for historic swing bridge dynamic monitoring", Struct. Infrastruct. Eng., 10(1), 57-68. https://doi.org/10.1080/15732479.2012.695801
- Rainieri, C. and Fabbrocino, G. (2010), "Automated output-only dynamic identification of civil engineering structures", Mech. Syst. Sign. Proc., 24(3), 678-695. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2009.10.003
- hrmann, R.G., Baessler, M., Said, S., Schmid, W. and Ruecker, W.F. (2000), "Structural causes of temperature affected modal data of civil structures obtained by long time monitoring", Proceedings of IMAC 18, San Antonio, USA, January.
- SETRA/AFGC. (2006), Footbridges: Assessment of Vibrational Behaviour of Footbridges Under Pedestrian Loads, Published by the Setra, realized within a Setra/A fgc (French association of civil engineering) working group.
- Sohn, H., Dzwonczyk, M., Straser, E.G., Kiremidjian, A.S., Law, K.H. and Meng, T. (1999), "An experimental study of temperature effect on modal parameters of the Almosa Canyon bridge", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 28(8), 879-897. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199908)28:8<879::AID-EQE845>3.0.CO;2-V
- Wahab, M. and De Roeck, G. (1997), "Effect of temperature on dynamic system parameters of a highway bridge", Struct. Eng. Int., 7(4), 266-270. https://doi.org/10.2749/101686697780494563
- Zhu, X.Q., Law, S.S. and Hao, H. (2009), "Damage assessment of reinforced concrete beams including the load environment", Struct. Eng. Mech., 33(6), 765-779. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2009.33.6.765
- Zivanovic, S., Pavic, A. and Reynolds, P. (2005), "Vibration serviceability of footbridge under humaninduced excitation: a literature review", J. Sound Vib., 279(1-2), 1-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2004.01.019
- Development and Application of Ancient Timber Buildings Structural Condition Assessment Model Based on a Fuzzy Matter-Element Model that Includes Asymmetric Proximity vol.2018, pp.1563-5147, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/7426915