- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Impact of an Information Leaflet on Knowledge of Hepatocellular Carcinoma and Hepatitis B among Chinese Youth
- Ouyang, Jun-Jie (Shantou University Medical College) ;
- He, Wen-Jing (University of Alberta) ;
- Zheng, Kai-Xin (Shantou University Medical College) ;
- Chen, Geng-Zhen (Department of Minimally Invasive Surgery, Second Affiliated Hospital of Shantou University Medical College)
- Published : 2016.02.05
Background: To assess the effect of an information leaflet on the level of Chinese youth's knowledge about hepatitis B and hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), the most common type of primary liver cancer (PLC). Materials and Methods: A total of 500 students, from two universities in the Chaoshan area of China, were randomly divided into an intervention group of 280 participants and a control group of 220. Baseline knowledge of HCC and hepatitis B was evaluated by questionnaire interview. Subsequently, only the intervention group was given an information leaflet of HCC and hepatitis B. Three months later, the two groups were contacted for a second interview. Changes in knowledge from baseline of HCC and hepatitis B were compared between the two groups. Results: There was no statistically significant difference in mean PRE-questionnaire scores between the intervention and control groups. However, the mean POST-questionnaire score was significantly higher in the intervention group after the intervention. The leaflet had the greatest effect on the participants' questionnaire score, and raised their level of knowledge about HCC and hepatitis B. Conclusions: The information leaflet intervention is significantly effective in improving the knowledge of HCC and hepatitis B among the youth.
Primary liver cancer;hepatocellular carcinoma;hepatitis B;information leaflet;knowledge
- Abiodun OA, Olu-Abiodun OO, Sotunsa JO, Oluwole FA (2014). Impact of health education intervention on knowledge and perception of cervical cancer and cervical screening uptake among adult women in rural communities in Nigeria. BMC Public Health, 14, 814. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-14-814
- Chuang SC, La Vecchia C, Boffetta P (2009). Liver cancer: Descriptive epidemiology and risk factors other than HBV and HCV infection. Cancer Letters, 286, 9-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2008.10.040
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Fatohy IM, Mounir GM, Mahdy NH, El-Deghedi BM (1998). Improving students' knowledge, attitude and practice towards cancer prevention through a health education program. Part II. J Eqypt Public Health Assoc, 73, 755-85.
- Huang MX, Zhong FX, Guo SH, Xu HY (2006). Statistical analysis of the low age tendency of malignant tumor. Chin J Postgrad Med, 29, 53-4.
- He WJ, Xu MY, Xu RR, et al (2013). Inpatients' Knowledge about Primary Liver Cancer and Hepatitis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4913-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4913
- Humphris GM, Duncalf M, Holt D, Field EA (1999). The experimental evaluation of an oral cancer information leaflet. Oral Oncol, 35, 575-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1368-8375(99)00040-8
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global Cancer Statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Kao JH, Chen DS (2005). Changing disease burden of hepatocellular carcinoma in the Far East and Southeast Asia. Liver Int, 25, 696-703. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1478-3231.2005.01139.x
- Mahdy NH, Fatohy IM, Mounir GM, El-Deghedi BM (1998). Assessment of students' knowledge, attitude and practice concerning cancer and its prevention. Part I. J Eqypt Public Health Assoc, 73, 399-431.
- Moralez EA, Rao SP, Livaudais JC, Thompson B (2012). Improving knowledge and screening for colorectal cancer among Hispanics: overcoming barriers through a PROMOTORA-led home-based educational intervention. J Cancer Educ, 27, 533-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-012-0357-9
- Parkin DM (2006). The global health burden of infectionassociated cancers in the year 2002. Int J Cancer, 118, 3030-44. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.21731
- Petti S, Scully C (2007). Oral cancer knowledge and awareness: Primary and secondary effects of an information leaflet. Oral Oncol, 43, 408-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2006.04.010
- Qin SL, Lin YC, Li CT, Xie XL (2010). Statistical analysis of inpatients with malignancies and death rate in shantou cancer hospital from 2004 to 2008. IMHGN, 16, 889-92.
- Quadri MF, Saleh SM, Alsanosy R, et al (2014). Effectiveness of an intervention program on knowledge of oral cancer among the youth of Jazan, Saudi Arabia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1913-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.1913
- Robotin MC, Kansil MQ, Porwal M, et al (2014). Communitybased prevention of hepatitis-B-related liver cancer: Australian insights. Bull WHO, 92, 374-9.
- Sheng-Long Y (2012). Asia-Pacific Primary Liver Cancer Expert Meetings. Liver Cancer, 1, 61. https://doi.org/10.1159/000342750
- Torabi MR, Seffrin JR (1989). Evaluation of the effects of cancer education on knowledge, attitude, and behavior of university undergraduate students. J Cancer Educ, 4, 39-47. https://doi.org/10.1080/08858198909527966
- Wei KR, Yu X, Zheng RS, et al (2014). Incidence and mortality of liver cancer in China, 2010. Chin J Cancer, 33, 388-94.
- Xu YY, Wang JY (2009). Hepatitis B, Hepatocirrhosis and Liver Cancer. J Clin Intern Med, 26, 728-30.
- Zhang LL, Lin JX, Zhang JH (2011). The health survey of primary and secondary school students in Shantou. Chin J School Doctor, 25, 557-8.