- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Demographic and Clinical Characteristics of Adult Acute Myeloid Leukemia - Tertiary Care Experience
- Sultan, Sadia (Department of Hematology & Blood Bank, Liaquat National Hospital and Medical College) ;
- Zaheer, Hasan Abbas (Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences) ;
- Irfan, Syed Mohammed (Department of Hematology & Blood Bank, Liaquat National Hospital and Medical College) ;
- Ashar, Sana (Department of Hematology & Blood Bank, Liaquat National Hospital and Medical College)
- Published : 2016.02.05
Background: Acute myeloid leukemia (AML) is an acquired clonal frequent malignant disorder of myeloid progenitor cells. Our aim was to study demographical and clinicopathological features of adult Pakistani AML patients at presentation. Materials and Methods: In this single centre study extending from January 2010 to December 2014, data were retrieved from the patient records with a predetermined performa and analyzed with SPSS version 22. Results: Overall 125 patients were diagnosed at our institution with de novo AML during the study period. There were 76 males and 49 females (ratio 1.5:1), with an age range between 15 and 85 years and a mean age of
Acute myeloid leukemia;demographics;clinical characteristics;Pakistan
- Ahmad F, Mohota R, Sanap S, et al (2014). Molecular evaluation of DNMT3A and IDH1/2 gene mutation: frequency, distribution pattern and associations with additional molecular markers in normal karyotype Indian acute myeloid leukemia patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1247-53. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1247
- Asif N, Hassan K (2013). Acute myeloid leukemia amongst adults. J Islamabad Med Dental College, 2, 58-63.
- Bennett JM, Catovsky D, Daniel MT, et al (1985). Proposed revised criteria for the classification of acute myeloid leukemia. A report of the French-American-British Cooperative Group. Ann Intern Med, 103, 620-5. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-103-4-620
- Chauhan PS, Ihsan R, Singh LC, et al (2013). Mutation of NPM1 and FLT3 genes in acute myeloid leukemia and their association with clinical and immunophenotypic features. Dis Markers, 35, 581-8. https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/582569
- Chauhan PS, Bhushan B, Mishra AK, et al (2011). Mutation of FLT3 gene in acute myeloid leukemia with normal cytogenetics and its association with clinical and immunophenotypic features. Med Oncol, 28, 544-51. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-010-9485-4
- C R P (2014). Clinico-hematological study of acute myeloid leukemias. J Clin Diagn Res, 8, 14-7.
- Deschler B, Lubbert M (2006). Acute myeloid leukemia: epidemiology and etiology. Cancer, 107, 2099-107. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.22233
- Estey EH (2014). Acute myeloid leukemia: 2014 update on riskstratification and management. Am J Hematol, 89, 1063-81. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajh.23834
- Ghosh S, Shinde SC, Kumaran GS, et al (2003). Hematologic and immunophenotypic profile of acute myeloid leukemia: an experience of tata memorial hospital. Indian J Cancer, 40, 71-6.
- Harani MS, Adil SN, Shaikh MU, et al (2005). Frequency of fab subtypes in acute myeloid leukemia patients at Aga Khan University Hospital Karachi. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad, 17, 26-9.
- Hamid GA, Nabhi A (2015). Clinicoepidemiological features of adult leukemias in Aden, Yemen. Indian J Applied Res, 5, 334-6.
- Harakati MS, Al-Momen AM, Ajarim DS, et al (1998). Adult acute myeloblastic leukemia: experience at king khalid university hospital. Ann Saudi Med, 18, 221-5. https://doi.org/10.5144/0256-4947.1998.221
- Juliusson G, Antunovic P, Derolf A, et al (2009). Age and acute myeloid leukemia: real world data on decision to treat and outcomes from the Swedish Acute Leukemia Registry. Blood, 113, 4179-87. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2008-07-172007
- Kakepoto GN, Burney IA, Zaki S, et al (2002). Long-term outcomes of acute myeloid leukemia in adults in Pakistan. J Pak Med Assoc, 52, 482-6.
- Khalid A, Zahid M, Rehman A, et al (1997). Clinicoepidemiological features of adult leukemias in Pakistan. J Pak Med Assoc, 47, 119-22.
- Lazarevic V, Horstedt AS, Johansson B, et al (2014). Incidence and prognostic significance of karyotypic subgroups in older patients with acute myeloid leukemia: the Swedish population-based experience. Blood Cancer J, 28, 4-188.
- Meng CY, Noor PJ, Ismail A, et al (2013). Cytogenetic profile of de novo acute myeloid leukemia Patients in Malaysia. Int J Biomed Sci, 9, 26-32.
- Naseem N, Imtiaz U, Mobeen S (2013). Evaluation of frequency and clinico-hematological features of acute myeloid leukemia at a tertiary care hospital, lahore. Pakistan J Med Health Sci, 7, 347-9.
- Ossenkoppele G, Lowenberg B (2015). How I treat the older patient with acute myeloid leukemia. Blood, 125, 767-74. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2014-08-551499
- Pastore F, Dufour A, Benthaus T, et al (2014). Combined molecular and clinical prognostic index for relapse and survival in cytogenetically normal acute myeloid leukemia. J Clin Oncol, 20, 1586-94.
- Schlenk RF (2014). Post-remission therapy for acute myeloid leukemia. Haematologica, 99, 1663-70. https://doi.org/10.3324/haematol.2014.114611
- Su L, Li X, Gao SJ, et al (2014). Cytogenetic and genetic mutation features of de novo acute myeloid leukemia in elderly Chinese patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 895-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.895
- Rowe JM, Tallman MS (2010). How I treat acute myeloid leukemia. Blood, 116, 3147-56. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2010-05-260117
- Yang XF, Sun AN, Yin J, et al (2012). Monosomal karyotypes among 1147 Chinese patients with acute myeloid leukemia: prevalence, features and prognostic impact. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5421-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5421
- Yin JA, O'Brien MA, Hills RK, et al (2012). Minimal residual disease monitoring by quantitative RT-PCR in core binding factor AML allows risk stratification and predicts relapse: results of the United Kingdom MRC AML-15 trial. Blood, 120, 2826-35. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2012-06-435669
- Zhou L, Zhu YY, Zhang XD, et al (2013). Risk effects of GST gene polymorphisms in patients with acute myeloid leukemia: a prospective study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3861-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3861