- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Factors Affecting Survival in Patients with Colorectal Cancer in Shiraz, Iran
- Zare-Bandamiri, Mohammad (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Faculty of Public Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Khanjani, Narges (Research Center for Environmental Health Engineering, School of Public Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Jahani, Yunes (Social Determinants of Health Research Center, Institute of Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Mohammadianpanah, Mohammad (Colorectal Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2016.02.05
Background: Colorectal cancer (CRC) is the third most common cancer in the world, and the fourth in Iran in both genders. The aim of this study was to find predictive factors for CRC survival. Materials and Methods: Medical records of 570 patients referred to the radiotherapy oncology department of Shiraz Namazi hospital from 2005 to 2010 were retrospectively analysed. Data were collected by reviewing medical records, and by telephone interviews with patients. Survival analysis was performed using the Cox's regression model with survival probability estimated with Kaplan-Meier curve. The log-rank test was used to compare survival between strata. Data was analyzed with Stata 12. Results: The five-year survival rate and the mean survival time after cancer diagnosis were 58.5% and
Colorectal cancer;Iran;prognostic factors;survival
- Aguero F, Murta-Nascimento C, Gallen M, et al (2012). Colorectal cancer survival: results from a hospital-based cancer registry. Rev Esp Enferm Dig, 104, 572-7. https://doi.org/10.4321/S1130-01082012001100004
- Akhavan A, Binesh F, Soltani A (2014). Survival of rectal cancer in Yazd, Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4857-60. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.4857
- Akhoond MR, Kazemnejad A, Hajizadeh E, et al (2010). Comparison of influential factors affecting survival of patients with colon and rectum cancer using competing risks model. Koomesh, 12, 119-28.
- Azadeh S, Moghimi-Dehkordi B, Fatem S, et al (2007). Colorectal cancer in Iran: an epidemiological study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 123-6.
- Bafandeh Y, Khoshbaten M, Eftekhar Sadat AT, et al (2008). Clinical predictors of colorectal polyps and carcinoma in a low prevalence region: results of a colonoscopy based study. World J Gastroenterol, 14, 1534-8. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.14.1534
- Ferlay J, Shin H, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008:
- GLOBOCAN (2008). Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917.
- Ghahramani L, Moaddabshoar L, Razzaghi S, et al (2013). Prognostic value of total lymph node identified and ratio of lymph nodes in resected colorectal cancer. Ann Colorectal Res, 1, 81-91. https://doi.org/10.17795/acr-15311
- Health Deputy Minister of Health NDMD, Cancer Center (2007). National report on cancer registration.
- Hoseini S, Moaddabshoar L, Hemati S, et al (2014). An overview of clinical and pathological characteristics and survival rate of colorectal cancer in Iran. Ann Colorectal Res, 2, 17264.
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Majek O, Gondos A, Jansen L, et al (2012). Survival from colorectal cancer in Germany in the early 21st century. British J Cancer, 106, 1875-80. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2012.189
- Malekzadeh R, Bishehsari F, Mahdavinia M, et al (2009). Epidemiology and molecular genetics of colorectal cancer in iran: a review. Arch Iran Med, 12, 161-9.
- Mehrabani D, Almasi-Hashiani A, Moshfeghi K, et al (2012). Survival rate and its predictors in colorectal cancer patients in Southern Iran. Middle East J Sci Res, 12, 1072-77.
- Moghimi-Dehkordi B, Safaee A, Zali MR (2008). Prognostic factors in 1,138 Iranian colorectal cancer patients. Int J Colorectal Dis, 23, 683-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00384-008-0463-7
- Moug SJ, McColl G, Lloyd SM, et al (2011). Comparison of positive lymph node ratio with an inflammation-based prognostic score in colorectal cancer. Br J Surg, 98, 282-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.7294
- O'Connell JB, Maggard MA, Ko CY (2004). Colon cancer survival rates with the new american joint committee on cancer sixth edition staging. J National Cancer Ins, 96, 1420-5. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djh275
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, et al (2005). Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA Cancer J Clin, 55, 74-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.2.74
- Rezaianzadeh A, Safarpour AR, Marzban M, et al (2015). A systematic review over the incidence of colorectal cancer in Iran. Ann Colorectal Res, 3, 25724.
- Safaee A, Fatemi SR, Ashtari S, et al (2012). Four years incidence rate of colorectal cancer in Iran: a survey of national cancer registry data - implications for screening. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2695-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.6.2695
- Torre LA, Bray F, Siegel RL, et al (2015). Global cancer statistics, 2012. CA Cancer J Clin, 65, 87-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21262
- Yuan Y, Li MD, Hu HG, et al (2013). Prognostic and survival analysis of 837 Chinese colorectal cancer patients. World J Gastroenterol, 19, 2650-9. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v19.i17.2650